General

2020 Model S Owner asking for an apology or a refund!

I am asking for a refund or an apology from Elon. I bought my first new car in March 2020 at age 52, a Tesla model S. I have worked hard, raised two kids and splurged big time on this. The huge payments, I told myself were worth it since I wasn't paying for gas plus it's my dream car! I now own a car that I paid over $10,000 more for 7 months ago that is substandard to the current model. If a company drops a price so significantly when your product is still under warranty, allow us to return it for a refund. I feel we are the true customer and often biggest fans(current owners). Some degree of acknowledgement for being screwed like an apology would be appreciated. If you feel the same way perhaps we can use are voices to at least get acknowledged.

Comments

• Like is the case with any new technology/product in general a manufacturer can, with increased levels of production, realize cost savings that they are then able to disseminate across the spectrum of their products to make them even more affordable to the prospective consumer.

It's something known as "economies of scale" and is a long standing business practice which does nothing to lessen the value of your car or render it "substandard to the current model".

You're still going to be driving the most technologically advanced vehicle on the road today and for the foreseeable future, it's just that they're now able to offer them at a lowered cost due to increased production/sale margins.

Given your professed age one would think that you would be well aware of this business standard...???
  • Early adopters of new technology always pay more. Remember when HDTVs first came out and they were relatively small and cost like $8,000? Now you can get much bigger smart TVs in 4K for a few hundred bucks. Same thing will happen with EVs due to technology advancements and economies of scale. If you are within your return window, you can get the lower price. Otherwise, you got what you bargained for.
  • I want Free Cybertruck or Elon will be cancelled ;)
  • Aside from the cry baby part of the post,
    What is meant by:
    “that it is substandard to the current model“
    What does the current model S have that a 7 month old model S doesn’t have that makes it “substandard”?
  • I doubt the OP will be back. Probably just another hit and run. There is a pattern here now that the verified user requirement has been removed for starting threads.
  • My 2014 S 85 cost $20,000 more than the current Model S. It has no AP, no TACC, no air suspension, slower charging, no AWD and 137 miles less range when it was new.
  • Boycott Tesla because they're improving too fast.
  • We see the issue of Tesla lowering prices on the back end causing bad feelings among owners fairly frequently.

Tesla probably should have low balled at the beginning and then raised prices later.

Car owners are not expecting it as they would with iPhones or other electronics.

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/177379/model-s-price-unfair-to-current-owners/p1
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > Tesla probably should have low balled at the beginning and then raised prices later.

No, they probably should not have.

If Tesla were a typical car brand, they would have. However, they operate with a very different mission. The plan (which was blogged about 14 years ago and still available to read by would-be buyers and anti-EV trolls such as yourself alike) was to start out premium and consistently push prices down such that more people can afford clear transportation.

Tesla bucks the trend entirely: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-is-exactly-how-much-car-prices-have-gone-up-2020-09-21

This is consistent with their goals. It's very atypical.
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said: > If Tesla were a typical car brand, they would have."

They are, the should have.
  • Early adopters got significant tax incentives and a greatly reduced price for FSD.
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:
    > Early adopters got significant tax incentives and a greatly reduced price for FSD.

Owner is talking of car that is seven months old. Not exactly early adopter.
  • I was responding to your ascertain that Tesla should have “low balled at the beginning”.
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said: > I was responding to your ascertain that Tesla should have “low balled at the beginning”.

Tesla was too desperate at the time focusing on showing promised profits so started with stripped down high priced cars, co-workers $64k Stealth M3 for example.

He was muttering when I put the spoiler on mine, he didn't even have AP.
  • nrd888 has not returned. I smell a troll (in addition to the other obvious one......)
  • Elon called - he said "NO"