Model 3

Tesla drops prices twice. How about a break on adding FSD?

While cutting the price on the Model S twice in two weeks, how about giving we early M3 adopters a break on adding Full Self Driving? Would love to add it but not at the super rate they are charging, like $7000? And climbing...

Comments

• If you were an early adopter, you already had an opportunity to buy FSD for $3k
  • Elon has been saying for the past 1.5 years the price will only continue to rise.
  • For me (2020 LR/DM), the price is $8K. Elon should offer a Covid discount since a lot of people aren't driving much and are unlikely to pony up $8K for something they're not likely to use for some time. Even so, I like driving, so it would be more of a novelty for me. I'd be interested in other performance options or maybe an adjustable suspension so I could pull in or out of my driveway without scraping.
  • Just wait until Tesla Prime Day.
  • Or you could have bought EAP when it was for short sale in the end of September.
  • I ponied up $8k for FSD and have a few friends who have not bought it for their Model 3s.

I wanted the full experience, so I’m not complaining.

I’d like to see some of the early adopters get their batteries fixed. They did spend a lot more than current Model 3 owners.
  • This is what car dealers have done for a long time, cars sitting on the lot are taking up space and not making money, so putting incentives on the slow movers. it’s supply and demand Since the 3 came out S sales are dismal so lower the price to hopefully move units. For FSD there isn’t a lot full of FSD updates locking up capital and taking up space. If you look at the history Tesla offers paid OTA updates at a discount or a new OTA update (like acceleration boost) at the end of a quarter to boost revenue quickly.
  • “ I’d like to see some of the early adopters get their batteries fixed.”

What do you mean?
  • Earl and n- I don’t understand why that was directed at me. My point was that the OP isn’t an early adopter. Otherwise he’d at least know FSD was offered at $3k for people who bought as late as Q3 2018.
  • [email protected] Correct me if I'm wrong because I bought my M3 in July 2019 when FSD was $6K and the cars came with HW3. But before HW3 came out my understanding that FSD had to be bought on top of AP and EAP and that the total price $8K. When HW3 came out they made AP standard, removed the EAP option and had FSD for $5K. The $5K was quickly raised to $6K and then to 7 and now 8K. When the new FSD software has it's general release at the end of this year there will likely be another price increase on FSD, possibly more than an additional $1K. That might be the point when then introduce the monthly subscription, FSD is already breathtakingly expensive when it's $10K how many people are going to pay for that option?
  • That sounds right. Alot of changes since then, initially it was $5k for EAP and $2k more for FSD.

How many people are going to pay $10k for FSD? Probably the ones who understand how valuable an autonomous cab will be.
  • > @bjrosen said: FSD is already breathtakingly expensive when it's $10K how many people are going to pay for that option?"

Few are apparently paying the $8k which is why Tesla did the test marketing on some features for $4k.

I wonder how much Tesla could save by dumping the entire AP/FSD system and buying Subaru's Eyesight?

That's where new owners for Tesla could cut prices drastically and provide a better car but that window is closing fast and Tesla stock price too high so Musk will benefit short term and Tesla will suffer long term.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > I wonder how much Tesla could save by dumping the entire AP/FSD system and buying Subaru's Eyesight?
    >

What are you smoking? Subaru eyesight? For real?

Tesla has the best AP/FSD system in the world. And it keeps getting better every couple of weeks with OTA updates.
    No one wants Subarus, just look at their sales.
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > “ I’d like to see some of the early adopters get their batteries fixed.”
    >
    > What do you mean?

I read some posts on how people with the early roadsters could not get their batteries fixed but perhaps that has all been taken care of by now.
  • BJ - When I bought in Sept of 2018 I didn't buy EAP nor FSD. In March of 2019 there was a lot of complaining about price drops on the 3. I had been refunded $5k on my Stealth. Then, for a limited time in March, buyers from my time period were offered AP for $2,000 and FSD for an additional $3,000 on top of that. It was a limited time offer. Had I known then what I know now, I would have purchased the FSD as well instead of just AP.
  • > @MK_NJ said: > Tesla has the best AP/FSD system in the world."

Just not this world.

Call home when phantom braking and other issues with adaptive cruise are fixed. When Tesla has blind spot alerts, lane keeping that works 100%, rear cross traffic alerts, 360 parking cams, accurate proximity sensors, rear auto braking.

But to this topic, early adopter got hammered in value with a $64k stripped down stealth and no AP.
  • After recent update my M3 rock solid when using AP
  • @lbowroom,
    I was agreeing with you.
  • Lane keep/Autosteer works great, rare slowdowns, auto lane changes and blind spot system work great. Back up cam with 3 cam feed works great if I don't feel like using that I can use summon or autopark. Fish is dumb troll and ICE lover.
  • @larry,
    There are a few Roadster owners who have had battery issues. Since they originally told us the hope was that they'd last 5 years, I'm not complaining after 12 years. Tesla designed a new battery pack to replace them, with newer cell technology but apparently, production hell on the Model 3 got in the way and they paused that. There were also some issues with the new design. Today, they can shuffle battery sheets to mix and match to fix minor issues.
    There aren't many serious problems so I suspect that they didn't get any waves for folks replacing them before and decided it wasn't worth the effort. Maybe in a couple of years, when a lot of the batteries start really needing replacement, they'll come up with another replacement option.
    Most of us have S's, 3's, or X's so the Roadsters are mostly just weekend eye-candy any more. While I've done it, Roadster road trips aren't a good idea. Therefore, I can't see replacing my battery until it has less than about 100 miles of range. I figure that could be another 10 years.
    We all got the opportunity to buy TSLA stock at $17/share, invitations to many rollout EVents, and early access to S's and 3's so I'm not complaining about how Tesla has treated us visionary pioneers.
  • Ira Flatow would know that it’s “give us” not “give we,” I’m quite certain.
  • "@lbowroom,
    I was agreeing with you."

I agreed with you first, lol
  • "But to this topic, early adopter got hammered in value with a $64k stripped down stealth and no AP."

Which is why they got $7500 fed rebate, a $5000 refund from Tesla, AP for $2,000, and FSD for $3,000

So no, ultimately we didn't hammered in value. Stealth was also $5,000 cheaper that with Performance Upgrade Package.

Is anything fish says true.... I doubt it.
  • > @"Earl and Nagin 08 RDS 359" said:
    > @lbowroom,
    >
    > Certainly, many Model 3 purchasers did stretch to buy them. They should be commended for their vision and actions. However, 12 years after Tesla started delivering revolutionary cars, claiming to be early adopters so they can get a price break is a bit self-entitled. The early adopters were the Roadster and S purchasers who took great risks and spent a lot more money than we could afford to.

The truly early "adopters" where those of us who bought TSLA right after the API. We did not get a car, we only got a piece of paper. I figured there as a 75% chance I was throwing my money away, but I thought it was a good to support our environment. It safe to say, "I did not throw my money away."