Model 3

My new Model 3 obsoleted in 5 weeks

Ordered 2 months ago, delivered 5 weeks ago. Now the 21's drop with huge updates without warning (other than leaks and rumors) and only shrugs from the sales people when I asked questions like when the 3 would get a heat pump. I would have waited to order had I known the massive update was this soon. Feel like Tesla really let me down here and I probably have no recourse.
I have 700 miles on my car, it's suddenly missing several desirable features and is worth less. Not happy. Anyone else? Anything to be done? (other than trading/ selling and starting over at a loss)

Comments

• I feel your pain but I love the car. I just took delivery last Saturday and had heard rumors about the refresh but nothing firm.

I could have returned the car but I asked my wife over dinner if she wanted to wait nine weeks for another car and she said no. That ends that.

We’re stranded in suburbia with only my electric bike to get around and my wife does not drive.

It’s technology, everybody misses out, like someone else said. There is no final version, there is always room for refinement.

I’m thankful for the prior buyers who moved us all forward.
  • Huge updates? lol
  • I've got a Sept 2019 LR AWD. I get what you're feeling, but cars improve over time - especially Tesla's. Like Randy said, we still get updates and some are significant. I remember getting the free 5% performance boost, then the boost option for $2k. Our cars are still vastly superior to most cars out there and don't spew carbon out the rear end. As for the heat pump & octovalve...It's a really complex system and I hope it proves to be reliable over time.
  • Yeah, when my wife bought a car in the past she asked when the next refresh would be and the sales person said at least 2 years. Turned out when the new model came out a couple months later, guess what.... refreshed.

Status quo in the automotive industry.
  • Nice to have yes, but we live in southern Oregon with some cold weather and our current M3 is 2018 and we love it. It amazes me how fast the car warms up in cold weather and I can let my wife sit in a parking lot while I do the shopping and she can run the heat with no engine going. No regrets and it has been two years are counting.
  • My complaint is more about Telsa's "policy" to pretend there are no model years and staying hush about when features/ updates will drop. I fully appreciate the last thing they wanted was me and a thousand others to not order in Aug/Sep, but come on, just a PINCH of transparency would go a long way.
  • My first house had a heat pump and I hated that thing, lol. The old joke was that it blew cold air. What it did was blow air that was warmer than skin temperature but not hot by enough so that you felt it as warm air. Plus, it still needed a supplemental heater when it got really cold.
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > Huge updates? lol

Considering the performance model... Heat pump, octovalve, power trunk lift, new glass, new center console, new wheels, factory chrome delete, faster, more range and cheaper. Pretty significant if you ask me.
  • Obsolete? Shhese. What does that make my '14 P85+?
  • Obsolete.
    But we usually call it Classic.
  • > @AesopRock said: > I have 700 miles on my car, it's suddenly missing several desirable features and is worth less. Not happy. Anyone else?”

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/177427/tesla-drops-prices-twice-how-about-a-break-on-adding-fsd/p1

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/177462/bought-a-model-3-less-than-three-weeks-ago-tesla-dropped-the-price-by-8000-in-au

But this is how it is supposed to work, EV’s get cheaper and more range as economies of scale kick in.

Ford MachE drops price when VW announces ID4 prices. Tesla adds features and drops it prices in return.

It price we pay for being the EV earl adopters. All you can do is make sure the car has the features you want and will serve you well for next five years.

Tesla doesn’t do that for me (no BLIS, RCTA, 360, poor Lane Keeping, poor adaptive cruise) so going with EV that has those features.

Ford has a guaranteed buyback price on the MachE which has all of the above missing features.
  • ICE cars are obsolete. You are upset the sales guy didn’t have inside information? Why would they know anymore than anybody else?
  • I have a performance model and the only thing on that list that marginally makes a difference is the power lift gate. I could GAS. Sales people are not privy to timing of updates. The price did come down $20,000 the first year, but early adopters are accustomed to that pattern.
    I’m not sensing any introspective fables in the offing.
  • Decades ago, I knew a guy, an amateur violinist, who was on his way to buy a brand new BMW when he turned around on his way to the dealership and bought a fine Italian violin instead. They were equivalent in price.

I had bought a fine French violin around the same time and saw it more than double in value. His Italian violin probably tripled in value during the same time.

Today, where is the BMW he was going to buy? In the junkyard, probably.

My point is, we’re all buying depreciating assets, don’t kid yourself. The fact that cars depreciate so much is the reason I didn’t own a car for the last twenty years but you can’t drive a fiddle.

Enjoy the car and don’t think about how they’ve improved the model. At least we get software updates and even hardware updates for the FSD features. You get nothing from an ICE except a load of trouble.
  • I missed out on base AP for free it is what it is the cars are great this is the future so All I can say is welcome to the club.
  • You’re very lucky to be able to purchase what is one of the best cars on the market right now. People would LOVE to be able to own this car but just straight cannot and probably will not ever be able to own one. Don’t take what you have for granted. Enjoy your new Tesla Model 3. Quit complaining.
  • Ditto on the heat pump comments for marginal temperature rise. Another possible complication of using the heat pump is the dirty sox smell that some already complain about (not specific to Tesla) will be amplified as the smelly ac coil will be the heating element. I have heat pumps and I hope the upgrade comes with a bypass setting to get real heat :-)
  • > @AesopRock said:
    > Ordered 2 months ago, delivered 5 weeks ago. Now the 21's drop with huge updates without warning (other than leaks and rumors) and only shrugs from the sales people when I asked questions like when the 3 would get a heat pump. I would have waited to order had I known the massive update was this soon. Feel like Tesla really let me down here and I probably have no recourse.
    > I have 700 miles on my car, it's suddenly missing several desirable features and is worth less. Not happy. Anyone else? Anything to be done? (other than trading/ selling and starting over at a loss)
    Gosh, just like every other car (and every other product) on the market. Who could see that coming!
  • But wait! A dozen times per year, the car will continue to be refined and improved with firmware updates. That in itself keeps it updated and current with the newest models. How many ICE cars do this?
  • This isn’t a “Tesla only” scenario, this isn’t lack of transparency, this isn’t anything other than business. I got the 3 back in mid 2018, love it. And when I trade it for a new one in a few years, I’ll enjoy whatever new bells and whistles that one has. You can do the same in a few years, unless you really want to bite the bullet for some reason and trade yours now.
  • I love whine and cheese
  • And your car is far far far from obsolete.
  • There are no companies that are going to stop selling a current model in inventory and not sell anything until the new model is ready.

You should have bought your model 3 two years ago.

Everyone knew there was a refresh coming.