Model 3

My new Model 3 obsoleted in 5 weeks

Comments

• As stated "Everyone knew there was a refresh coming" you could have waited I did for my Y. I did not want an end of Q3 car, knew a slight refresh was on the way even for the Y and I waited and ordered just at the end of Q3. Just got my VIN yesterday 2021 so new model year, rumored to have heated steering wheel now (can't confirm), ne tail lights, Gigappress one piece, few other updates...

I could have pulled the trigger before but I knew about the refresh so I waited. If I had pulled the trigger before I would have got a 2020 not a big deal but must have some impact on resale value in the future so I was not in a rush and waited.

I have a 2.5 year old 3 that I missed out on a lot but in the end I am glad I have the car for the time that I do so no regrets.

Tesla is not like others car manufacturers you can't compare them but I see they are changing the model years in Sept like others do maybe to have less ppl upset and waiting till Jan 1 to order.
  • As with any technology, if you can buy it it's already obsolete.
  • Lucky for you, OP, you purchased a Tesla, which unlike every other auto manufacturer in the world, continually improves after you get it. Enjoy the ride and don’t look back.
  • > @"Joe M" said: I have heat pumps and I hope the upgrade comes with a bypass setting to get real heat"

There is a "Resistive Boost Heater" in the heat pump loop for instant heat while motor and coolant heat up. Not sure that's going to prevent the mold that sometimes develops in the heat exchanger coils as people get that now with just the resistive heater. Not unique to Tesla and rhere are cleaners for it.
  • I kept waiting when the car first came out since I wanted a white interior. After 6 months they said it would be another 6 months before it was available on anything except the Performance model. I ordered my car and got it in two weeks. Then 2 weeks later the white interior came out. Then the awd came out and eventually had a lower price than I paid.

I paid for what I expected. It's not worth getting upset over something so trivial since I keep my cars for 15 years. The $1500 I saved by not getting the white interior a few years ago has grown to over $6000 since it was left in Tesla stock. In 15 years I might grow enough to by a new model 3!
  • I'm a bit peeved with this situation as well. This definitely takes the shine off of Tesla for me and will be reflected in any recommendations I make of buying a Tesla to others. Less than 200 miles on my car, SR+ and here come a number of attractive upgrades for the same price. It's not a matter of expecting every upgrade for free but had I known this was so close to release I would have waited a few weeks. Even Apple gives you a heads-up when the newer iPhone is coming out. I think this will also affect future resale value. The extra range from newer batteries and the much hyped octovalve are significant - this is a technology purchase after all.
  • > @sdbiz said: > Even Apple gives you a heads-up when the newer iPhone is coming out. I think this will also affect future resale value."

As do other car mfgs. Tesla's caveat emptor approach is another reason I'm upgrading to the MachE.
  • Tesla have a continuous improvement policy, updated parts and specifications get added to production when they are ready not according to 'model years'.

However your car is not obsolete by any means. I have a 9/2018 Model 3, some parts like the underbody aero shields were replaced under warranty and the HW3.0 retrofit I chose and paid for (when it was on sale) but I have also had very meaningful improvements added via free software updates over 2 years. It drives better than when I first got it. It drives categorically better than a Nissan Leaf Plus or Chevy Bolt.

Tesla designs incorporate much forward-thinking too - when the Service Center gives me a Original Shape (nosecone) Model S as a loaner it drives beautifully.

500 mile range Teslas are coming in 1-3 years, they won't make our current cars obsolete, we might get a little 'range envy' though 😄
  • “ I'm upgrading to the MachE”

You never will...
  • I am impressed that improvements (partly from Model Y development) have been fed back to the Model 3 relatively fast. The process of improvement is ongoing. German-built Model Y's will have paint, manufacturing and other upgrades compared to one you can buy now from Fremont. Fremont factory will be upgraded with improvements that 'pan out'. And so it goes.

Buy a vehicle when you want to buy one. Tesla or anyone else might make a 'breakthrough' in batteries at any time increasing range, lowering pack weight etc. or it could be steady incremental progress. I feel sorry if you bought before the recent changes but 13 or 31 miles extra range is nice to have but not life-changing, same with the heat pump.
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > “ I'm upgrading to the MachE”
    >
    > You never will...

There’s a slim chance he’ll buy one, but you’re correct, it won’t be an upgrade.
  • > @ksrehman said: > 500 mile range Teslas are coming in 1-3 years, they won't make our current cars obsolete, we might get a little 'range envy' though."

And a LOT less money for our obsolete EV's.
  • Fck Fish is so lame idiot.
  • Constant improvement is a never ending issue which Musk has addressed over the years. Anyone who thinks this is new must be new here.

Fish is just an asshole who gloms onto any whiff of negativity. Waste of space.

OTA upgrades more than compensate for small physical differences. My 2013 is still getting meaningful upgrades despite not having folding mirrors.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @ksrehman said: > 500 mile range Teslas are coming in 1-3 years, they won't make our current cars obsolete, we might get a little 'range envy' though."
    >
    > And a LOT less money for our obsolete EV's.
    >
    >
    How much has your $600,000 salmon fishing boat depreciated?
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Constant improvement is a never ending issue which Musk has addressed over the years. Anyone who thinks this is new must be new here.
    >
    > Fish is just an asshole who gloms onto any whiff of negativity. Waste of space.
    >
    > OTA upgrades more than compensate for small physical differences. My 2013 is still getting meaningful upgrades despite not having folding mirrors.

Wow 7 years later and still supported? Amazing
  • > @Bighorn said: > Constant improvement is a never ending issue which Musk has addressed over the years."

Lets hope it includes the "old" tech of adaptive cruise that Tesla can't seem to get right or out of Beta on the Model 3.
  • Let's hope that you leave this forum forever once you move on to MoME or Id4
  • I also just took delivery of my Model 3 SR+ only 7 weeks ago. The model update was kept very hush hush. Had I known of the updates for the next model year I would have waited another few months. I think Tesla should offer free premium connectivity to all model year 2020 model 3s and older. That would be a nice customer service gesture. I hear only select owners have received it. I hope these model upgrades don't hurt the residual value of my now non current model.
  • I took delivery of my Model 3 Performance 4 weeks ago and have almost 500 miles on it. At first when I heard about the upgrades I was a bit disappointed I did not wait a little longer before purchasing my model 3 but when I saw the new wheels that come with the Model 3 Performance I was really glad I ordered mine before the refresh. The new performance wheels look horrible and I likely would not have purchased the performance model with those new wheels. Some of the new features like Power trunk and chrome delate can be done aftermarket anyway so I am glad I still have the "old" model 3.
  • @WW_spb
    Just yesterday I got a notice on my phone that a door had been left open. Something the car did not do for the first 304,000 miles.
  • Tesla is more of a computer than a car. When have you ever bought a computer, smart phone, TV, or even a stereo receiver and not had the price drop soon after, or a new model come out with new features? It never ends, but if you wait forever you will never have one, so you just have to make the purchase and not have regrets.
  • The Tesla is a robot, that's what it is, a robot.
  • I bought the top of the line Model S back in 2013 for $114k and was chagrined to find years later that it would cost nearly $160k to make a lateral move. I felt I’d been priced out of the segment. Now I can buy a superior car for $69,000. It’s the far superior alternative that prices become more affordable than prohibitively expensive.
    Your car will definitely become “obsoleted” by features between the time you buy and sell it, so any argument that your resale has been harmed, regardless of the timing, is highly illogical and immaterial.
  • When you drive the car off the parking lot, it is obsoleted from the Brand New category