Model 3

My new Model 3 obsoleted in 5 weeks

Comments

• I have a 4 week old M3. Can the power trunk be retro fitted? I understand Musk provided one for free for someone that is handicapped.
  • There was an aftermarket automated trunk option before this.
  • My M3 is also 5 weeks old and despite being “obsolete” did just fine for my family and I today.
  • Mine is one week old and it made it to the garden center today so I could pick up some plants and potting soil for my wife. Despite provoking jeers from those driving modern ICE vehicles, the car did well.
  • Jeers?! Ah they’re just jealous cuz you can take them at the line everytime.
  • Thank you for your donation.
  • 'Modern' ICE vehicle? My 2018 Model 3 is a better car than a 2018 - 2021 BMW 3 series, Audi A4 etc. No real EV competition yet - Polestar 2 swung and missed with its EPA range coming in less than a Chevy Bolt. Unless the ICE vehicle is something out of the ordinary, like a McLaren (being driven to a garden center?), they have little to jeer about. ICE is still king for pickup trucks and commercial vehicles but that's about to change ...
  • I was jesting, folks, haha. I don’t see anything modern in ICE vehicles.

Speaking of commercial vehicles, I’d love to see the day when jake brakes become a thing of the past. The noise of those things is just awful.

ICE vehicles make a lot of noise and offer poor performance. The other day I ran an errand and my wife texted me and asked if I had left. She had not heard me drive away in my M3, lol.
  • I think the next car off the assembly line after my M3 was a refresh.

Oh well, no biggie. Someone had to be the bubble boy.
  • I'm certainly not alone and more threads will be popping up here. The issue is the timing of the refresh launch vs delivery of our news cars (WEEKS!). In the ICE world car MFRs offer discounts on the outgoing model year BEFORE the new models drop and they are very transparent about what the new models will have. Not so with Tesla and it does their customers a disservice.
    Yes Tesla constantly improves, yes "we all knew" a refresh was coming but all we have is rumors with these cars. Those refresh rumors have been floating for years. It is what it is, I love the car, but I'm disappointed as a "member of the Tesla family".
  • Fist off if you are concerned about not having the “newest” don’t ever buy a new car because there is always something new around the corner. Honestly with EVs I think this is going to be worst then ICEs since it’s such a new advancing technology. Second like others have said a new car is never a smart financial decision, after 4 years ownership at best you’ve lost 40% but probably more likely at least 50%.

Lastly this is the largest problem with the community on this forum, Complaining over nothing. I’m sure all of us know at any time the 3 was bound to be updated, typically for car companies it’s every ~2 years for minor updates, and here we are with minor updates. And regardless of what FISH says many car salesman and companies don’t give a heads up when a new model is on the horizon. And for discounts it’s supply and demand, demand is still high for the 3, no need to discount. S Sales are in the tank that’s why discounts.

If you want the newest but are willing to take the risk buy as soon as something comes out. Or Wait 2 years for things to stabilize and risk a new update coming out tomorrow.
  • "The issue is the timing of the refresh launch vs delivery of our news cars (WEEKS!)."

Yup, they held off selling any cars at all in the "WEEKS!" prior to every other refresh. /s
  • Of course new threads of indignorance will pop up. It’s been happening for 8 years because there will always be dimwitted people or those just too lazy for due diligence.
  • @ coleAK
    > @TabascoGuy said:
    > "The issue is the timing of the refresh launch vs delivery of our news cars (WEEKS!)."
    >
    > Yup, they held off selling any cars at all in the "WEEKS!" prior to every other refresh. /s

Still missing the point. They mislead and charged '20 model buyers full price, then secretly dropped an update and cut prices. Existing model phones and cars go on sale when new models launch. But for some reason it's ok when Tesla doesn't do this.
  • > @AesopRock said:
    > They mislead and charged '20 model buyers full price, then secretly dropped an update and cut prices.

There was nothing "secret" about the update. There were reports of the changes looming for months and Tesla has been continually dropping prices for it's entire history, nothing secret about that.
  • Let the cry babies cry. They will go away soon .
  • > @coleAK said: > Fist off if you are concerned about not having the “newest” don’t ever buy a new car because there is always something new around the corner."

It's not that it is the transition from one model year to another. Other car mfgs announce it well in advance and then offer deals on the older model, nice way to handle it.

Tesla does the reverse and, as you see, owners are upset about it.
  • I also feel bad for the people that bought a new iPhone couple weeks ago...
  • > @AesopRock said:
    > @ coleAK
    > > @TabascoGuy said:
    > > "The issue is the timing of the refresh launch vs delivery of our news cars (WEEKS!)."
    > >
    > > Yup, they held off selling any cars at all in the "WEEKS!" prior to every other refresh. /s
    >
    > Still missing the point. They mislead and charged '20 model buyers full price, then secretly dropped an update and cut prices. Existing model phones and cars go on sale when new models launch. But for some reason it's ok when Tesla doesn't do this.

There is no reason to discount anything if there is adequate demand. And how long would you have put off the purchase? What if they released right before you took delivery it would be 6 months for the update. Would you have waited? What if they just announced updates were 6 months out would you still be pissed?

It would have been smarter for Tesla to give a 3 months heads up. I think another problem here is many times you hear about car updates in car publications from leaked info or through advertising. Tesla does not advertise and does play nice with auto journalism.
  • @ColeAK - we agree... And I would have put off the purchase precisely 6 weeks to get the refreshed 21 model. Very simple. I guarantee 100% the Tesla apologists trolling these threads would be pissed too.
  • @AesopRock

Your Model 3 is not obsolete by any standards. It might not have a heat pump or the longer rated range, but its still better than literally everything out there. You can still get full self driving. If you feel bad, then hang on to yours until the FSD cab service gets launched and just use your current car as a cab and get yourself an "upgrade" ;)
  • Mommy they refreshed Model 3 and didn't tell us month ago. Bahaha Grow up
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > @AesopRock
    >
    > Your Model 3 is not obsolete by any standards. It might not have a heat pump or the longer rated range, but its still better than literally everything out there. You can still get full self driving. If you feel bad, then hang on to yours until the FSD cab service gets launched and just use your current car as a cab and get yourself an "upgrade" ;)

Yep you're right... :-)
  • I’m in the same boat but I’m having fun with the car.

If I waited for the best tech, I never would have bought a computer in the last forty years, lol.

When the scientists announce Human Lifespan 2.0, boy, is everybody going to be angry when they find out that they’re stuck with Human Lifespan 1.0.
  • Precisely, if you wait because you want the "latest and greatest", you'll never buy. Because 4-6 months later its going to get better. When you're ready to buy do it because years will go by and you wont drive the car.