Model S

Lower watt-hour/mile (or km) over time for old Model S cars?

Hello,

Has the overall watt-hour/mile (or km) figure for old Model S cars decreased over time (since 2012) due to Tesla software updates aimed at improving driving energy efficiency? If the efficiency improved, what is the consensus of owners of old Model S cars as to how much? Might Elon have stated any specific driving efficiency gains that are applicable to all Model S cars?

Thanks in advance!
Oliver Barrett

Comments

• My S85 was delivered in Dec. 2012. I have not seen any noteworthy change in watt-hour/mile consumption in almost 8 years. It averages around 330wH/mile. RWD, 19" wheels, Goodyear Eagle RS tires.
  • Mine seemed to drop over the years. Maybe 25 Wh/m.
  • Mine dropped maybe 10 Wh/m but attributed more to being less “punchy” with the acceleration...!
  • Mine has been pretty steady over 7 years. About 320 wh/mi average. Much higher in winter, especially with short trips.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Mine seemed to drop over the years. Maybe 25 Wh/m.

Same here, but it will go back up with the colder weather. I think it has something to do with the tire exclamation point...
  • Originally, there was about a 50 Wh/m delta between summer and winter which averaged to around 345 Wh/m for the year. This has improved to ~320.
  • 289 year to date.

298 or so since purchase 2 years ago.

Total since new including vampire and such about 330 per SMT

No real difference except I tend to be more aware of consumption factors as I get to know the car better.
  • My lifetime average (about 5 years) was 290. Since MCU1 was replaced in March, it's been 270. I drive with lower air resistance than most (5280 to 11K ft ASL).
  • My avg has dropped each year. In 2014 it was 329 and currently it is 319. I am in CT, so that is factoring in 6 winters. I have 183,000 miles.
  • > @Aerodyne said:
    > 289 year to date.
    >
    > 298 or so since purchase 2 years ago.
    >
    > Total since new including vampire and such about 330 per SMT
    >
    > No real difference except I tend to be more aware of consumption factors as I get to know the car better.

Actually, 325 since new per SMT...