General

planning to eventually purchase a model Y if Tesla corrects the ride and noise

I love the fact that Tesla has created a booming EV market with major innovations and a charger network. I want to purchase a model Y ( or equivalent) in the future but only if Tesla can engineer in a quiet smooth ride. Since I will be spending about 50,000 for the car, I expect it. I would like to see variants in the future which include a smooth quiet ride which I would prefer. This could also include engineering that includes both. Ride comfort and low noise is more important to me than acceleration and handling. I know Tesla can rise to the challenge.

Comments

• They already did. Are you claiming you’ve driven one and it wasn’t?
  • They are on it Boss. Anything else?
  • 7000+ miles on my PMY, the only noise is the tires, the ride is firm and quick, anything this fast needs to handle for safety IMHO
  • “Quiet smooth ride” is subjecting.
  • I guess different people prefer a different ride (suspension, etc.). But as far as quiet - try any Tesla against an infernal combustion engine vehicle and all the Teslas will be on the quiet side. There are some complaints about wind noise, but except for where there is an actual defect in the specific vehicle, you only hear that noise because you aren't hearing an ICE engine.
  • Guessing this is a one and done for the headline.
  • I have not test driven the model y, but I have test driven the model 3. You do feel the road and it can a little loud. I will test drive the model y the future.
  • Yes, test drive the Y
    I think you’ll see quite an improvement, not sure it’ll be on par with top of the line Lexus or MB but everyone will have a differant standard.
    Let us know how your test ride is.
  • Teslas are premium vehicles, not luxury vehicles, so the argument “I paid $50K, so I expect it” is not aligned with their market. That said, it’s the smoothest and quietest ride of any car I’ve ever owned.
  • I see no reason why Tesla cannot provide a luxury vehicle ride in a 50 K car. I once rented a Nissan Genesis at an airport and found the ride to be very comfortable and quiet. Those start at about 45 K.
  • > @lblock11_98231042 said:
    > I see no reason why Tesla cannot provide a luxury vehicle ride in a 50 K car. I once rented a Nissan Genesis at an airport and found the ride to be very comfortable and quiet. Those start at about 45 K.

The Model 3 and S are sports sedans not luxury cars. Tesla emphasizes performance. It’s a different market segment. Their formula appears to be working.
  • Sorry OP, there's nothing to "fix".

The "ride" in every Tesla I've driven has felt comparable to similar vehicle makes and types in a positive way. Tesla designers must balance between ride quality and car handling. I find the ride to be very comfortable while the handling is very responsive. There are very similar assessments among owners here so it seems Tesla has achieved a good balance.

However, it sounds like you want something that feels like you're riding your living room couch. That's not the type of car Teslas are so your want is not something they are currently pursuing.

Also, some of the first comments that people make when I've taken them for a ride are:

"Wow, it's so smooth."
    "Oooh, it's so quiet."
    "My, it's so beautiful."

And of course:

"Hooooolyyyyy Shhhiiiiiiiiiit!!!"
  • Hasn’t driven one, already knows how it feels.....
  • > @lblock11_98231042 said: > I see no reason why Tesla cannot provide a luxury vehicle ride in a 50 K car. "

Cost.

Musk is going value (range and price) and volume vs. luxury and gross margin.

Valid choice.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @lblock11_98231042 said: > I see no reason why Tesla cannot provide a luxury vehicle ride in a 50 K car. "
    >
    > Cost.
    >
    > Musk is going value (range and price) and volume vs. luxury and gross margin.
    >
    > Valid choice.

Invalid opinion.
  • Warning Fishtroll since 2016 detected!
  • “ I see no reason why Tesla cannot provide a luxury vehicle ride in a 50 K car”

Tesla could put a 70 series tire on it with some squishy springs, voila! There’s your “luxury” ride.
  • Would actually cost less, not more.
  • Maybe in few years they will add air suspension for model Y. Who knows.
  • I will test drive the model y and give my impression.
  • Could care less for your impression.
  • Will you drive one with 19”, 20”, or 21” wheels?
  • > @lblock11_98231042 said:
    > I want to purchase a model Y ( or equivalent) in the future but only if Tesla can engineer in a quiet smooth ride.

1) There is no equivalent.
    2) Tesla isn't Burger King ...
  • The model S is their luxury model with a nice cushy ride. The Y offers a different ride for a different market. They need to differentiate their 100k model from the base models.

I have had both, love the Y do miss the model S ride