Model 3

Bluetooth issues (sigh)

I was absolutely ecstatic when the recent update came with a preferred phone in my model 3. Prior to this, the car consistently connected to my wife's iPhone (I have a pixel 3), even when my phone was with me getting in the car and her was in the house. HOWEVER, the update did not fix the issue, in fact, I think it made it worse. Even with my phone selected as preferred, it still chooses the iPhone. I've even deleted it and re-added it with no luck.

And tonight, even though I'm inside and the car is charging in the garage, the bluetooth on my phone is still "on" and connected to the car. That's never happened before. Usually the bluetooth turns off if I'm out of the car.

Thoughts?

Comments

• v2020.40.4
  • As far as being "on" and connected when not actually in the car: My S8 has been doing that for 'way over a year, too, so long as the phone is in range of the car. So, that's not new. The rest, no idea.
  • Some people misunderstand what the priority feature does. It lets you associate a preferred Bluetooth device with your driver profile. It does not give your profile priority over another, so if there are two phones in range when you approach the car, the car will still switch to the profile for whichever phone it detects first.
  • > @Tronguy said:
    > As far as being "on" and connected when not actually in the car: My S8 has been doing that for 'way over a year, too, so long as the phone is in range of the car. So, that's not new. The rest, no idea.

I mean, that's terrible design. That means if you get a call, play a video, or do anything with sound, the car will act as a speaker. I restarted my phone and it seemed to have fixed it.
  • It won't
  • What you see is your bluetooth key is connected.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > Some people misunderstand what the priority feature does. It lets you associate a preferred Bluetooth device with your driver profile. It does not give your profile priority over another, so if there are two phones in range when you approach the car, the car will still switch to the profile for whichever phone it detects first.

I think you're misunderstanding it man. It literally says in release notes and also in the bluetooth settings, "car will attempt to connect to priority decide before others." What you're describing has existed for a looooong time but still was bad at determining which device is closest to the car. I just now went to the car and it switched from my profile to my wife's while I have my phone on me, and my wife's phone is on the other side of the house. The issue is that it seems to guess what phone to connect and also bluetooth detecting is way too slow.
  • > @WW_spb said:
    > What you see is your bluetooth key is connected.

What I'm referring to is the audio being connected to the car, not just the key. It's different when the car is just connected via bluetooth when you're outside of it vs the audio when you're inside. It seemed to think I was in the car.
  • Set your car to auto lock at home and you won't have this problem
  • @Keytoarson - Here’s the actual release note:

“To avoid connecting to the wrong nearby phone, you can now set your priority Bluetooth device. Your car will attempt to connect to the priority device associated with the profile selected before it attempts to connect to other paired phones. To set your priority device, tap the Bluetooth icon on the top of your touchscreen, select your preferred phone and tap Priority Device.”

Note that the second sentence says “will attempt to connect to the priority device associated with the profile selected...”. That’s what I meant.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > @Keytoarson - Here’s the actual release note:
    >
    > “To avoid connecting to the wrong nearby phone, you can now set your priority Bluetooth device. Your car will attempt to connect to the priority device associated with the profile selected before it attempts to connect to other paired phones. To set your priority device, tap the Bluetooth icon on the top of your touchscreen, select your preferred phone and tap Priority Device.”
    >
    > Note that the second sentence says “will attempt to connect to the priority device associated with the profile selected...”. That’s what I meant.

But we already had that. We associated profiles with phones for a while now. This new feature to me means it will prioritize one device over the other, which is doesn't do very accurately.
  • My car always connects to my partner’s phone every time and changes the profile to theirs. It was irritating the hell out of me.

Last night I deleted the Tesla app on my phone and re-installed it. I was also prompted to re-pair my phone as a key.

I then did several tests by walking to my car with both phones in my pocket and no longer does the car jump to my partner’s phone. If my profile is selected it remains selected. Before, 100% of the time it would swap profiles.

I hope it’s fixed permanently and not just a one off.

• @Keytoarson: No, that wasn't the audio being connected. That was the _key_ being connected. When the car is in standby (i.e., parked in the garage with the screen off) the bluetooth _audio_ connection is not on.
    Now, when the car comes out of standby and the screen is active, that's when the audio connection for phone calls and the like is on.
  • @Keytoarson — Sorry, you’re still not getting my point. The feature we’ve had for a while is the ability to associate a phone key with a driver profile, so that when the car detects that phone key it will select the associated profile. What’s new is the ability to associate a Bluetooth device with the profile, so once a profile is selected, it will attempt to pair with that Bluetooth device before any other.

An example: My wife and I both drive her Model 3 and we each have a profile associated with our phone key. Sometimes when I get in the car and my profile is selected, the car will Bluetooth pair with my wife’s phone, which is in the house but within Bluetooth range. The new feature should let me prevent that from happening, by making my profile always attempt to pair with my phone first.
  • > @Tronguy said:
    > @Keytoarson: No, that wasn't the audio being connected. That was the _key_ being connected. When the car is in standby (i.e., parked in the garage with the screen off) the bluetooth _audio_ connection is not on.
    > Now, when the car comes out of standby and the screen is active, that's when the audio connection for phone calls and the like is on.

No. I've had the car for over a year and a half so I know when the audio is on and when it isn't. My _bluetooth setting_ on my pixel told me the audio of the car is connected. Either way, I restarted the car and my phone and it fixed it.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > @Keytoarson — Sorry, you’re still not getting my point. The feature we’ve had for a while is the ability to associate a phone key with a driver profile, so that when the car detects that phone key it will select the associated profile. What’s new is the ability to associate a Bluetooth device with the profile, so once a profile is selected, it will attempt to pair with that Bluetooth device before any other.
    >
    > An example: My wife and I both drive her Model 3 and we each have a profile associated with our phone key. Sometimes when I get in the car and my profile is selected, the car will Bluetooth pair with my wife’s phone, which is in the house but within Bluetooth range. The new feature should let me prevent that from happening, by making my profile always attempt to pair with my phone first.

My point was that even with the preferred device selected, it's still not selecting in. It still is random when it will choose the preferred device vs my wife's. That's The frustrating part. Thanks for the reply! This whole bluetooth thing needs work, that's for sure.
  • > @PagemakersS75P3 said:
    > My car always connects to my partner’s phone every time and changes the profile to theirs. It was irritating the hell out of me.
    >
    > Last night I deleted the Tesla app on my phone and re-installed it. I was also prompted to re-pair my phone as a key.
    >
    > I then did several tests by walking to my car with both phones in my pocket and no longer does the car jump to my partner’s phone. If my profile is selected it remains selected. Before, 100% of the time it would swap profiles.
    >
    > I hope it’s fixed permanently and not just a one off.
    >
    > 2020.40.4

Yes, this is what I'm referring to. I'll try this suggestion. I tried just deleting and re-adding her profile but that did not do anything. Thanks for the tip!
  • Doesn't matter what your phone tells you. If car is off it can't play sound in it or connect calls.
  • Don't be dumb