General

Seat battery idea

It's me how about batteries in the seats.I thought having individual batteries in front & one in back.Then they could power the seats to move as well as add extra power to go farther as well oh well.

Comments

• That sounds like it would make for very hard seats. There is currently very little space under the seats - so I guess you'd need to remove all padding and springs to fit a few more batteries in. Not sure I see the need. How much more range do you need and are willing to pay for?
  • Sure in theory you can package batteries everywhere. Doing so may increase range at the expense of efficiency, handling, etc. But you can do it.
  • It’s not just about “batteries”.
    There’s wiring, coolant, thermal protection etc.....
    A bit more into it than just “put some batteries over there”
  • Hey OP, why not make the entire car out of batteries? Maybe even fill the entire cargo space with batteries, or attach wheels to a giant battery.

Engineers have reasons for designing things the way they do...sheesh.
  • Something like this?

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/new-mercedes/3021121
  • Ford adds batteries to the rear seats in their extended range electric mustang. But again it’s added weight and complexity.
  • Before a car is designed, there are spaces, such as under the rear seats. Tesla installs the chargers and other electronics there, so there isn't any free space. Another automaker may elect to put batteries there, but then those electronics must be placed somewhere else.

There really aren't hidden empty spaces anymore, even on ICE cars today. A well-engineered vehicle fills those spaces to provide more cabin and cargo space.
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > Ford adds batteries to the rear seats in their extended range electric mustang. But again it’s added weight and complexity.

It seems like OP is an employee at an auto company trying to put out feelers for their ideas.