Model 3

Hooray for HomeLink app addition

I just confirmed that support for remote activation of the HomeLink feature was added to the Tesla app, even though I don’t have Summon/FSD/etc, just basic AP. Glad to see this inexplicable limitation finally removed! 👍🏼

Comments

• I'm happy about this too. Next thing I'm looking forward to is voice command "open/close garage"
  • Also happy that it's now available in the app..
  • > @bpr1de said:
    > I just confirmed that support for remote activation of the HomeLink feature was added to the Tesla app, even though I don’t have Summon/FSD/etc, just basic AP. Glad to see this inexplicable limitation finally removed! 👍🏼

What do you mean by “remote activation”?
  • > @PagemakersS75P3 said:
    > What do you mean by “remote activation”?
    >

Meaning that if I’m not at home, but my car is, and I want to open the garage door for a contractor or neighbor, I can do it from my phone.
  • > @bpr1de said:
    > > @PagemakersS75P3 said:
    > > What do you mean by “remote activation”?
    > >
    >
    > Meaning that if I’m not at home, but my car is, and I want to open the garage door for a contractor or neighbor, I can do it from my phone.

I’ve always had the Homelink icon in my app so surely that’s always been possible?
  • @PagemakersS75P3 - You’ve always had the HomeLink control because you have either FSD or EAP. The change is that people without FSD/EAP now get the HomeLink control too.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > @PagemakersS75P3 - You’ve always had the HomeLink control because you have either FSD or EAP. The change is that people without FSD/EAP now get the HomeLink control too.

Ah I see.

Just for information if you are with your phone and you are too far away from the car you still can’t open the garage remotely. I can only remotely open my garage if my range is within about a ¼ of my car.
  • How can the app open your garage door if the you are not at home and your opener is not wifi capable ?
  • and If your opener is WiFi capable then your can open it remotely without homelink
  • homelink programs your garage door opener into it. no wifi involved.
  • Pretty sure not true. App simply sends single to car to open garage. If you car has internet connection and sitting close to garage or in garage it will open it.
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > homelink programs your garage door opener into it. no wifi involved.

hence you cannot open garage door remotely using homelink
  • correct. only when its in range.
  • In theory there is no reason you could not open your garage door from the app from anywhere in the world as long as your car is within Homelink range of the door and both your phone and car have internet access. The App would send a command to the car and the car would trigger a Homelink command.

So now the question is, does Tesla limit this feature by also requiring the car to be in Bluetooth range of the phone? Never tried it and I would not bet on it either. But I am going to guess you can open the door from anywhere, no limitations other than what I mentioned above.
  • Its a factor of connecting to the car. Bluetooth not a factor. Just need wifi or data. Your car however needs to be in range of the garage as mentioned previously.
  • Ok. Disconnected bluetooth on my phone sitting in my backyard far from garage and Homelink via app opened and closed garage with no problem. Stop tripping yo
  • Your car acts as a garage opener. If car has WiFi connection and it sits in range of your garage receiver your app will connect to the car via internet and trigger your car as garage opener. Car will send RF signal to receiver and garage will open/close. Face palm.
  • I can confirm IF your car is in the garage and you are more than a short distance from your car Homelink will NOT work.

The app displays an error message telling you to move closer to the vehicle.
  • Here is a link to a similar discussion I started 2 years ago...

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/168274/home-link-via-app
  • I just tested it today and it worked.
  • I’ll re-test again tomorrow. I’m in the U.K. and it’s the middle of the night here. If it works now, it never used to work from a distance before. It’s possible that it’s another feature blocked by Europe!
  • Or your car doesn't have good wifi, LTE signal where it is parked.
  • > @bpr1de said:
    > I just confirmed that support for remote activation of the HomeLink feature was added to the Tesla app, even though I don’t have Summon/FSD/etc, just basic AP. Glad to see this inexplicable limitation finally removed! 👍🏼

That’s awesome but I hate the fact that my 2020 M3 Performance doesn’t even have home link and that I have to pay $300 to “install it” when I’m SURE they can just activate it for that dumb price on my 60K car 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
  • > @enleezy174_98728120 said:
    > > @bpr1de said:
    > > I just confirmed that support for remote activation of the HomeLink feature was added to the Tesla app, even though I don’t have Summon/FSD/etc, just basic AP. Glad to see this inexplicable limitation finally removed! 👍🏼
    >
    > That’s awesome but I hate the fact that my 2020 M3 Performance doesn’t even have home link and that I have to pay $300 to “install it” when I’m SURE they can just activate it for that dumb price on my 60K car 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

They can't just activate it bc they need to install part first daaaaa
  • You paid 60k but don't want to spend 300 lol makes sense.