Model Y

Cabin Heater - No Heat

I recently did a 23 hour straight drive (with charging) from Vancouver to Saskatoon. 3/4 of the drive was with temperatures well below freezing. About 7 hours into the drive, outside temperature -5 C, the cabin heater failed. Did everything possible on my own to rectify (resetting the car etc). The climate control including defrost would not blow air unless it was set to the coldest set point. Any warmer and the fan would turn off. For the rest of the trip, with temperatures as low as -15C, there was no heat.

I'm wondering if there is a flaw with the heat pump system. I don't know vehicle heat pumps, but do know commercial heat pumps for buildings. They do not operate at low temperatures and would eventually freeze up if left to run.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation?

Comments

• sorry to hear that, I picked a Y mainly because of the heat pump :neutral:
    how was the drive other than the heat issue? what was the total distance travelled and roughly how much time was spent at charging?

please keep us posted with the issue
  • Had a similar thing happen on a long road trip in ~5 F weather. The heater suddenly shut down and wouldn't come back on for ~20 mins. Internal cabin temp dropped from ~70 F to ~45 F. Climate control was still on and responsive to changing settings but only cold air would blow. After ~20 mins the air suddenly warmed up again on its own. Planning on mentioning this at my next SC appt but any advice is welcome.
  • I get no heat at all, and get a “ Climate keeper unavailable due to system fault” statement when I try to turn it on. I only have 500 miles on the car and have scheduled a service visit. I tried shutting down and restarting, but no improvement.
  • Same issue but I think I’m onto something... here’s my story.

Model Y LR w/ 4,000 km (heat worked, but rarely needed). Vehicle hauled to Yellowknife, NT, CA from BC a week ago - in sub zero temps.

Cab heat “quit working” on Day 2 of use in YK. Outside temps between -15C to -20C. I had (70% of the time) the onscreen message telling me “Climate Keeper Unavailable...”. The car had been in the heated garage when not driven.

After Multiple resets, power offs, and much online research I found info about the (2) connectors to check under the FRUNK. Sadly, this quick fix was a dead end. Both connectors seemed solid. But...

The “heat pump reservoir” (looks like overflow tank on a radiator) was well below “nominal”.

Not being certain, I test drove the car again with no changes. It was relatively warm outside at -16C.

The cab heat worked for maybe 5 minutes... then slowly died. I’m pretty sure it is related to the low fluid level in the heat pump overflow reservoir. But... not positive. By the time I got back to my garage 10 minutes later I had the onscreen error again.

I’m fairly confident a bit of 50/50 mixed engine coolant would work but... just to be safe I’m waiting for a call back from a Tesla service Center.

Fingers crossed because the nearest service depot is 2,000 km away! 😬😊
  • I'm having the same issue with our MY in Anchorage. The heater basically doesn't work anymore. Fortunately we have a very responsive mobile serviceman here who has spent time looking at our car (starting with the cables under the frunk) and calling down to Fremont. The current status for us is that he is waiting for a response from "service engineering" down in CA right now.

Please keep us posted if you attempt to fill the heat pump overflow reservoir and go that route. Not as cold as you, Jeff, but still well below 0C here. We only use the car for very short errands now as anything longer is intolerably cold, even with the seat heaters.
  • JeffP-

If you don't mind posting your last 6 digits of your VIN, our local mobile service guy said he could look at your issues and compare your problem to what he's seeing on 4 model Y's here in Alaska.
    As far as he knows the coolant level looks correct (on our car, that is).

He is looking to gather as much information as possible to send in to the engineering people in CA to try to get this issues resolved.
  • My cabin heater failed to in NJ. Brought in for service and told me car would not heat if it couldn’t be cooled. Said I had a cooling problem and ordered this part:
    AC LINE ASY, MANIFOLD TO COMP, R1234yf
    Took 2 weeks to get my Y back but all working now. Hope this helps.
  • I have a 2 month old Y and as of today the cabin heater stopped working. It made for an extremely uncomfortable, it was snowing. I know it wasn't because of the cold, I live in VT and am able to heat my whole house with a heat pump. I drive a lot and depend on this car, one of the reasons that I bought it.
    Rebooting it did not work and it;s horrible to drive with the defroster on when cold air is blowing from every vent in the cabin. I'm stumped about what to do.
  • I have a six week old Y and have only been able to get heat in the cabin a few times. It generally blows cold air instead of warm. I live in Northern Ontario and it's chilly here. Guess I'll place a service call even though it seems that hasn't resulted in a warm cabin for anyone yet. If anyone has a fix, I'd like to hear it.
  • Me too, the heater worked fine yesterday. Today was in the 30’s F and I had the system fault message and no heat. Perhaps I only imagined it, but the regenerative braking was not available for a much longer time, around 30 minutes.
  • Getting hit with this as well. I had that same error message, which is now gone, but nonetheless, no heat. Service scheduled for Nov 25 and they have pre-ordered two parts:

1. PT Sensor, High Pressure
    Part #: 1510047-00-B

2. PT Sensor, Low Pressure
    Part #: 1510048-00-B
  • this has just happened to me here in VT also. exactly as described here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAoJeK7pYD0 Mobile service can't get at pressure sensors in heat pump because the high voltage has to be disconnected. So need to drive to to Latham for service appt.
  • This just happened to me in East central NH today on my way today the Peabody service center to fix some fit and finish issues with our 3 week old MY. Heat went out about about 1/3 of the way there, so drove the rest without heat and couldn’t shut off the fan... It was 15-20 F this morning.

By the time they got to the heater today, it was working for them, so they “adjusted” it, and ordered new pressure sensors. Scheduled a follow up for 4 Dec (so another 3+ hour round trip, plus waiting time) to install the sensors.

On my way back home tonight, heat quit again about 30 min into the drive. Temp in the 30s.

Both times, I tried resetting the display multiple times, running through all the buttons. Parking, getting out and walking away so the doors lock, etc.

This is very frustrating on a new car with about 1300 miles on it. Now I’m stuck at home with a new car without heat.
  • This thread is making me have second thoughts about buying a model y. Considering there are relatively few y’s on the road so far, it’s disturbing that this many people are all having the same problem.
  • @Hightower not to worry. Tesla service may be delayed at times, but always comes through. Gave us a model X loner while our sensors are being replaced. It's not unexpected that issues come up. They always make it right in my experience (2 teslas over 4 years)
  • At this point it seems pretty obvious, but here goes: Our (Anchorage AK) mobile service guy says it seems likely that Tesla got a bad batch of PT sensors. So it appears that perhaps the problem has been diagnosed. The question now is how many Y's out there are affected and, for me at least, is it possible for a mobile serviceman to repair it?
    Tecumseh (above) suggests maybe not due to the high voltage system needing disconnecting.

The closest service center for me is about 1500 air miles away or 2200 road miles. Ruh Roh!
  • Thanks for the input on this @MYBlueBird! Hopefully this means it's been rectified in recent production (my VIN was produced on Nov 13).

But what is a PT sensor? I can't figure out what the PT might stand for.
  • DragonRand: Pressure/Temperature, I believe.

UPDATE: Got a text from Tesla folks today (Sunday?) and they said new firmware/software was installed yesterday (Sat). I did notice yesterday that the car was asking to update and so it let it.

Anyway, as a result of the update the HEATER NOW WORKS!!! I won't be totally convinced until we go a few more days with consistent heat, but it's looking good so far.

Please note that this didn't require anything other than an OTA update - no new sensors, no install, no person on site. There's hope yet for you fellow MY owners w/o heat!!!
  • > @DragonRand said:
    > But what is a PT sensor? I can't figure out what the PT might stand for.

I'm fairly sure "PT" stands for Platnum (Pt on the table of Periodic Elements). It uses Platnum as a resistor to measure temperature.
  • I have a heat pump on my house. It does not work in an extreme temperatures. Instead, the house system uses resistance heating when the temp dips to 32ºf or below. I live in the south where this isn't too common. I guess those days I will drive my ICE truck and leave the Tesla at home safe and warm in the garage.
  • I have the same issue. Anyone has it fixed? If it’s a PT sensor issue it should be an easy fix right? I am still waiting for my service appointment....These days has been tough for me ..... driving without heat with -7 C outside temperature.
  • My car is at the SC waiting for the PT sensors. They pre-ordered replacement PT sensors that had arrived, but when my car was there the SC got a call from Fremont engineers that there is a new part number for one of them which they are expediting. They should get the part on Monday, so fingers crossed.

I should mention that the SC staff has been very accommodating... Definitely doing their best.

> @Zzwyyy said:
    > I have the same issue. Anyone has it fixed? If it’s a PT sensor issue it should be an easy fix right? I am still waiting for my service appointment....These days has been tough for me ..... driving without heat with -7 C outside temperature.

> @Dahveed said:
    > I have a heat pump on my house. It does not work in an extreme temperatures. Instead, the house system uses resistance heating when the temp dips to 32ºf or below. I live in the south where this isn't too common. I guess those days I will drive my ICE truck and leave the Tesla at home safe and warm in the garage.
  • We have a cold climate heat pump in our house in NH that works down to -5 F. It doesn’t keep up with our total load below 10 F or so, so that’s where we use FF... But it does provide heat down to -5 F. I have no reason to believe the MY heat pump isn’t capable of operating at least this low if not lower.

> @Dahveed said:
    > I have a heat pump on my house. It does not work in an extreme temperatures. Instead, the house system uses resistance heating when the temp dips to 32ºf or below. I live in the south where this isn't too common. I guess those days I will drive my ICE truck and leave the Tesla at home safe and warm in the garage.
  • > @MYBlueBird said:
    > DragonRand: Pressure/Temperature, I believe.
    >
    > UPDATE: Got a text from Tesla folks today (Sunday?) and they said new firmware/software was installed yesterday (Sat). I did notice yesterday that the car was asking to update and so it let it.
    >
    > Anyway, as a result of the update the HEATER NOW WORKS!!! I won't be totally convinced until we go a few more days with consistent heat, but it's looking good so far.
    >
    > Please note that this didn't require anything other than an OTA update - no new sensors, no install, no person on site. There's hope yet for you fellow MY owners w/o heat!!!
    >

Was this an OTA update just to you? Or all of us, I wonder? All of these posts are scaring me. Brand new car w/o heat????? Come on!
  • The "heat/no heat" saga continues for us here in AK. After an OTA firmware update last weekend we had heat again. Worked perfectly for four days. Until yesterday when it stopped working again. So I've contacted our local mobile serviceman and I'm still waiting to hear back. (Holiday weekend so I get the delay...)

JaxY: I think the update was to our car specifically. It seems from our experience and other posters here that this issue has not been fully dealt with yet. It may still just be a bad batch of PT sensors. But I'm speculating here.