Model 3

scheduled charging starting immediately

I had a look to the forum and various reports around scheduled charging and I must be missing something. I've configured scheduled charging to start at 7:15AM. I've plugged the charger 20 min ago (around 7PM my time), the app confirms that charging is scheduled with "ready to depart at 07:15 so it looks like all is configured properly.

Charging started at 7:30PM (definitely not in the after hours rate and the battery level is 61% with the max set to 80%).

Does that ring a bell to anyone? I would expect charging to start during the night, especially with the current battery level (2h or so of charging would be enough). I don't understand how 7PM could be considered low rate either.

Comments

• "Ready to depart" means it will start immediately and then pre-condition so you are ready to leave at the set time. You need to change to Scheduled Start (middle one) with your desired start time.
  • Thanks for the reply. I read those as mutually exclusive. Nothing in the user guide leads me to believe it should start immediately:

"Model 3 prepares itself by determining the best time to start charging to optimize energy
    costs, Battery longevity, and ensure charging completes in time for your drive."

The middle one was set to 11PM anyway. In the meantime, the car has stopped charging at 67% level now with the following message on the app "Charging Scheduled. Ready to depart at 07:15".
  • Yeah, it will start for a little while to measure the current/charging rate and calculate a "time to completion". It will actually start early enough that it will finish by 5:30am, and then it will kick on HVAC shortly before your departure time.
  • Cool. I was up late so I noticed it kicked off at 11PM to charge up to 75% and then stopped. When I woke up, the car was charged 80% as expected so it started charging again during the night (or rather closer to departure date).

Charging the last 5% closer to departure is done for efficiency reasons I suspect but I'd love to know more. Does anybody know a web site or a reference that describes this algorithm in more details?
  • @snicoll I believe the last 5% is to pre-warm the battery through charging to reduce the limited regen on colder mornings. In very cold areas, you may have no to very little regen available for a significant portion of your drive. By charging that last bit, the heat created will minimize that to some degree, and you may still have limited regen, but it will be better than if you hadn't done that.
  • Thanks a lot, that makes sense. How do you know about all that stuff? I'd love to know more as well.
  • I've been a frequent member of this forum for almost 4 years and an owner for about 2 and a half. :) Lots of random reading. Also, read the owners manual. There are a TON of tips and explanations in there. I haven't read the last few versions (it gets updated periodically), but I did read it way back when and still do searches on the newer one if there's a new feature that rolls out.
  • I see. I've been experimenting with this feature a bit more and while I like the concept of optimized departure, it still starts charging before after hours rate for me.

I've plugged the charger around 9PM yesterday and it charged immediately (battery at 45%). It didn't stop and charged mostly on the wrong rate. This feature would be so much better if we could specify a "reasonable" start date (e.g. 11PM).

Going back to the manual it makes it clear that this feature is not meant to optimize start date but it's a bit contradictory with:

> Model 3 prepares itself by determining the best time to start charging to optimize energy costs, Battery longevity, and ensure charging completes in time for your drive.

There's plenty of time to charge 35% during the night so it shouldn't start so soon IMO.
  • > @hokiegir1 said:
    > "Ready to depart" means it will start immediately and then pre-condition so you are ready to leave at the set time. You need to change to Scheduled Start (middle one) with your desired start time.

snicoll,
    Did you try what @hokiegir1 said?
  • Yeah changing to scheduled start works but won't pre-condition the car. Given that the manual states that "Model 3 prepares itself by determining the best time to start charging to optimize energy costs", I didn't expect charging to start at 7PM.

What am I missing?
  • Not sure your missing anything. It sounds like the car decided that it had more time so a longer slower charge was best to meet your departure time. I am not a battery guru but I would guess slow charging is better than fast.

Sounds like you need an enhancement to meet your needs like a "Discount Electric Rate Charging Schedule". Where you set the hours the electric rates are cheaper and the car incorporates that window in its overnight charge schedule. But then you have to consider how that would effect charging while you are away from your home. So maybe that feature could be tied to just your personal Wall charger. You would have to have a Wall charger because the Mobile Charger cannot be identified.

I do not know the capabilities of the Wall charger (it does have a WEB interface so it has some abilities) but maybe this could be added as a setting in the Wall charger so that particular Wall charger would be in control of the discount charging window.

There are many "what ifs" that need to be considered. I suggest if people think its a good Idea we talk it out here and then suggest it with all the ideas worked out.
  • > It sounds like the car decided that it had more time so a longer slower charge was best to meet your departure time.

I thought the exact same thing. Except that I have a 7kW charger (not really super super fast) and it just negotiated to the highest speed possible.

The manuel has two bits that led me to think that it "should work":

1. Charging should end by 6 AM (reasonable time frame for cheaper rates)
    2. "Model 3 prepares itself by determining the best time to start charging to optimize energy costs"

As far as I can see, it doesn't do 2 at all. If it remembers the location, I'd assume it can also remember the last charging sessions and infer an average charging speed. When there is between 20% and 40% of battery to charge (the usual case for us during a normal week), that last between 2h30 and 5h. I'd expect Model 3 to not charge when I plug it in at 7PM the day before.

Right now, the only thing this feature does is pre-condition the car at the right time. All the other bits in the manual do not seem to happen for me.

Anybody else here using this feature?

An alternative would to specify charging time and then pre-condition the car manually.
  • I'm using it and it definitely waits to charge.
  • snicoll

Which charger are you using?
  • This one: http://www.ev-connection.com/product/hager-7kw-ip54-witty-home-charging-station-type-2-socket/
  • I wonder if the Tesla wall charger would make it behave differently. I will pay close attention to what mine does on Monday.
  • My 2018 M3 scheduled charging never works correctly. Example: Set to depart at 11 am but if I check the app at 7 am it's done charging from 220V outlet regardless of SoC.
    I've asked Tesla techs they claim not being aware of anyone else with similar experience... Without offering any solutions except to suggest using "start charging" instead of "depart at"
    So confused.
  • > @me072_98166102 said:
    > My 2018 M3 scheduled charging never works correctly. Example: Set to depart at 11 am but if I check the app at 7 am it's done charging from 220V outlet regardless of SoC.
    > I've asked Tesla techs they claim not being aware of anyone else with similar experience... Without offering any solutions except to suggest using "start charging" instead of "depart at"
    > So confused.

It will generally complete charging before 6am using "Depart at" settings as the car assumes that's when the TOU rates are in effect. It will then pre-condition shortly before your departure time.
  • Hello, this is one of my pet peeves and It's not a big deal. As stated by others using depart by seems to start charging at midnight as it wants to take advantage of off peak rates but my provider doesn't offer such. Even though Tesla could/should allow the user to select or deselect this option the easy work around in my opinion is to take the time of departure (11:00) and back off by the rate you charge and set start charge accordingly.
  • okay some more data points. Battery was at 65%, set the limit to 85% for a change. Plugged it at 8PM, start charging immediately. I used the app to stop it immediately in the hope it'll learn or something. I restarted itself almost immediately.

Contrary to the past two days (where it's configured to pre-condition the car), it stopped again at 75%.

I couldn't sleep and noticed it was charging again around 2AM and then stopped at 81% (So roughly 5 more %). It's now 3:15AM my time and the app states "Charging Scheduled, ready to depart at 07:15" with 81% battery. It looks like it'll charge the last 5% closer to departure date (which makes a lot of sense).

So the car can stop and trigger charging. For some reason it does kick it off in early evening rather than waiting for 11PM (or some more reasonable time for after hours rate).
  • Nope, started charging around 4AM for the last 5%.