Model S

Thinking about 2017 used S from Tesla

It has around 38k miles and has FSD. Does it mean it was upgraded to HW 3.0 or not? Anything else I should know about it? I am looking for Tesla fix until CyberTruck arrives and want our house to be ICE free (my wife has m3 LR).
Thanks.

Comments

• No helpful insights? All model S owners dead? Or is it my Mega nickname ;)
  • You have to have HW 3.0 to have FSD. So if it truly has FSD it would have to be upgraded to HW 3.0. I have a 2017 S100D and it has enhanced auto pilot (I don't have HW 3.0). I have FSD on a X100D. I would not pay to upgrade from enhanced. The main thing I want is to change lanes and have navigate on auto pilot which enhanced has. There isn't enough or much difference for the price IMO. But to answer your question yes it would have HW 3.0 if it has FSD.
  • Congrats on hopefully going ICE free!

On the HW3.0 upgrade - hard to know. If it was not upgraded, Tesla will still do it for free as they do with every FSD vehicle.
  • So it means they will/had add missing cams if it early 17 built? Correct?
  • If it's*
  • All 2017's have all 8 cameras (I have a late 2016 S, and have FSD as well). The free upgrade just replaces the Autopilot computer with a far more powerful one if you bought FSD (or the car you buy has FSD). I got the impression that most cars have been upgraded already, but not something to worry about. If needed, it can usually be installed by Mobile service at your house or office.
  • Did the wife cut you off?

(from the Model 3)
  • > @TabascoGuy said:
    > Did the wife cut you off?
    >
    > (from the Model 3)

Haha no but she is complaining that I drive it more than she does hahah. Thankfully she is still working from home and doesn't need it much but that day is coming and I don't won't to drive my ICE SUV no more.
  • M3 is just so much fun. I feel like a Schumacher. But we have 3 kiddos so two model 3's won't cut it for us. I drove S when our 3 was in services and it was nice and specious so I think it will do until Cybertruck arrives.
  • I really wanted an S but my budget limited me to used. I finally went with the 3 because, as the old saying goes, I didn't want someone else's problems. I figured I'd be happier with new than used.

What's your budget for the S?
  • > @TabascoGuy said:
    > I really wanted an S but my budget limited me to used. I finally went with the 3 because, as the old saying goes, I didn't want someone else's problems. I figured I'd be happier with new than used.
    >
    > What's your budget for the S?

Don't want to go over 44k since in 2 years I will be trading in for Cybertruck
  • I was even thinking about used 3 or new 3 standard range plus but it will be tight fit for the kids. I mean we traveled with them in 3 but I need night trunk for bicycles and such.
  • Night= bigger * lol
  • If it has FSD then it should be eligible for the HW3.0 upgrade for free. If you are very curious though, at least for me, i would reach out and ask them to confirm or take a picture of the car screen that shows what hardware version it is.
  • Good point, Andy.
  • well, pulled the trigger but on 2016 75, cheaper, no fsd but it will do until CyberTruck arrives.
  • Congrats! It's a good way to get into an EV now!
  • Thank you. Kids are excited as much as I am )
  • How old are your kids? Any of them driving yet?

Maybe you could hand it down to one of them. Giving it back to Tesla seems so... wasteful.
  • > @TabascoGuy said:
    > How old are your kids? Any of them driving yet?
    >
    > Maybe you could hand it down to one of them. Giving it back to Tesla seems so... wasteful.

Haha Long way to go. 4,6,8.
  • Well, you can hand down the CT in 8-10 years.