General

Tesla recognizing Tesla

Just curious to know if it has ever thought to have our car being recognized by other Tesla on the road? It would also be really cool to be able to send a “waving hand” with the name of our car sayIng hello... “Ellie Model Y says Hi 👋🏼“.

Comments

• Elon indicated in a tweet that the UI would event distinguish Teslas from other vehicles. However, sending a message would be the equivalent of texting while driving.
  • “ Elon indicated in a tweet that the UI would event distinguish Teslas from other vehicles.”

Seems like a waste of resources to me.
  • Do you live in a place where a Tesla sighting is rare? This would be worse than spam phone calls if it happened in the Bay Area.
  • Just have it send me their name, address and credit card info and be sure to include the security digits.

In era of personal data security concerns, probably not on anyone's to-do list other than hackers.
  • Tesla radio like truckers radio. Please and thank you in advance.
  • Tesla sightings are not common here but its the same few vehicles. Our town only has 6,000 people. Nearest Tesla sales/service is 1hr40min and about 100 miles away so might contribute to so few Teslas. Might be a nice feature.
  • Yes, please. As a member of the Jeep Wrangler (yep... Wranglers only) we always wave to one another. I never knew this existed until I got my first one and people in other Wranglers kept waving at me. I'm now to the point where I feel guilty when I'm not sure they see me wave or wave back. Anyway... I'm doing the time-out signal to all my fellow Teslans in this area, but it hasn't caught on yet. Time will tell if I can get it going. Anyone in the RTP (Raleigh, NC) area see a guy in a Red Y doing this and you'll know it's me. T
  • @YseGuy know exactly what you mean...the Jeep wave was awesome and almost every passing keep owner returned the wave. I only get about 25% of tesla owners to wave back ... and then it’s only other model 3s. I think the S and X owners look down on me and my lowly 3 lol.
  • @Spuzzz - when I'm in my S, I'm always happy to see other Teslas of any model. I've had various Teslas for about 8 years now, and there are so many Tesla in our area, they seem to be more common than any other make. Yep, likely my bias at seeing Teslas, but It would be unusual if I don't see at least 5 in every mile around town.

Most owners now, no matter the version, seem to see it as nothing special anymore. It was fun when they were revered by most owners, but it's also great that anyone can have a Tesla even if they don't care about Tesla, EVs, or pollution and find it's just a great vehicle.

Anyway, keep smiling and waving!
  • Once we don't have to keep hands on the wheel, I'll do a two-handed wave through my open sunroof.
  • When I got my first Model S in April 2013 there were very few Teslas on the road and we all used to greet each other. There are so many Teslas around these days and we have become a much more diverse group that the novelty has worn off. I personally could not be bothered to greet every Tesla owner on the road
  • Things have changed a lot since our 2012 MS delivery in Seattle. People would follow me home or into parking lots to talk about the car, and wave and high five me on the road. Now I rarely see any acknowledgment by other Tesla's let alone other drivers. It was a lot of fun back then as a new owner. On our cross country trip in 2014 from Edmonds, WA to NYC and down to Florida and back we thoroughly enjoyed interacting with other Tesla owners at SC's and on the road. I love seeing so many M3's, MY's, MS's, and MX's.
  • @SCCRENDO - fewer Teslas in Virginia so I always still wave or flick my high beams.
  • Yeah, alot of Teslas in my area, but when i say "alot" i mean you'll see a few every day now instead of one per week.
  • Have a Wangler and Model S. Waving all the frickin time now that there seems to be so many Wanglers on the road. I need a rest when driving the S!
  • I’ve owned 2 wranglers in my life very fun cars. Hardly see the 2 door model any more. Would be fun to see a bev version (screw the hummer). Obviously wouldn’t be very efficient but fun nonetheless.
  • > @"grins.va" said:
    > @SCCRENDO - fewer Teslas in Virginia so I always still wave or flick my high beams.

Waiting on red MY in VA. I'll definitely wave at every Tesla. But flicking high beams is illegal here. Stay safe.
  • Appreciate the info. I can’t find the Virginia Code which specifies flicking lights is illegal. Would you please provide the code section? Thanks.
  • > @vi9cki said:
    > > @"grins.va" said:
    > > @SCCRENDO - fewer Teslas in Virginia so I always still wave or flick my high beams.
    >
    > Waiting on red MY in VA. I'll definitely wave at every Tesla. But flicking high beams is illegal here. Stay safe.

You just posted in 2 other threads that you can’t buy any EV in Virginia. How is it that you managed to buy a Model Y?
  • @"grins.va" said:
    > Appreciate the info. I can’t find the Virginia Code which specifies flicking lights is illegal. Would you please provide the code section? Thanks.

I am sorry, I am wrong. It is not illegal to flash your high beams in VA. I drive rural roads and you must dim
    headlights when you see an oncoming car. One of my pet peaves. Rereading your post I think I misinterpreted what you meant by flicking your lights.

I hope when I get my Tesla I have the opportunity to give you a happy wave and a big thumbs up. Sorry for the misinformation.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > > @vi9cki said:
    > > > @"grins.va" said:
    > > > @SCCRENDO - fewer Teslas in Virginia so I always still wave or flick my high beams.
    > >
    > > Waiting on red MY in VA. I'll definitely wave at every Tesla. But flicking high beams is illegal here. Stay safe.
    >
    > You just posted in 2 other threads that you can’t buy any EV in Virginia. How is it that you managed to buy a Model Y?

Thank for asking. I did more research after your question. Every Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and Hyundai sales person said this was true and that is why there were zero plug-in hybrids and electric cars in the whole state to look at. Except for the two Tesla showrooms. We would have had to drive to Maryland or North Carolina to test drive any other EV. So I believed the sales people. My big mistake! Very sorry for not digging deeper before posting. There is a law about cars sales having to be through dealerships and Tesla was able to get 2 exemptions. Obviously we were lied to by numerous sales people. Can't imagine why there were zero EVs in the whole state. You are right, it is legal, I can't understand a dealer not having at least one EV on their lot.

Because we had to order over the internet I wrongly assumed what I had been told was true.

I am very disappointed in all those brands now. Thank goodness my husband was willing to drive 2 hours to Richmond and kept an open mind.

Thank you for helping straighten me out. I am 100% sure that we cannot participate in the referral program. That came straight from Tesla. And again I wrongly assumed that was further evidence that EVs were not for sale in VA.

Love the information here and the polite way I am being corrected. I'll do much more digging before posting next time.

I'm still just over the moon that we are getting a Tesla!
  • Stay around and perhaps have a look at the TMC forum as well. When you get your new car, there will be a little bit of a learning curve until you can get the best out of your car, and the forums can speed this up a lot.
  • > @hgmichna said:
    > Stay around and perhaps have a look at the TMC forum as well. When you get your new car, there will be a little bit of a learning curve until you can get the best out of your car, and the forums can speed this up a lot.

Thank you. I've read the owner's manual cover to cover. You are right, there are plenty of subjects I see here on the forums that are not addressed in the manual. I'm so excited I'm going to need extra Xanax to get through this waiting period. Expecting a mid to late December delivery. Thanks again for your understanding.