Model 3

FSD to increase to $10,000

Musk has stated that the price increase will occur Monday:

https://electrek.co/2020/10/22/tesla-increasing-price-full-self-driving-package/

Comments

• If any of you are considering FSD, **NOW** is the time to get it.
    $10,000 after Monday - just tweeted by Elon Musk.
  • For me these kinds of purchases make a lot more sense if the “product” is transferable.

The benefits of EAP are much more beneficial to me personally than what I’d get if I spent the additional $4k or $5k for FSD.

I’d be much more interested in buying if i could justify it through some resale value benefit.
  • But FSD is transferable, is it not? I asked the seller of a Tesla on eBay about that and he pointed me to a paragraph on a site selling used Teslas that says it is transferable.

https://onlyusedtesla.com/does-autopilot-full-self-driving-transfer-to-subsequent-owners/

Has this changed?
  • Well, when you buy the Turbo version of a car, you can't take the turbo with you to another car.....
  • Got the upgrade last week thankfully, good choice.

It transfers with the car. Otherwise the used Model 3 i got would not have EAP.
  • Wait, it is transferable to the next owner but you want it transferable to your next Tesla?
  • I wonder how many new reservations happen through the weekend to lock in lower cost FSD.
  • @larry_98733015

Please. It is attached to the VIN.
  • @Bighorn, I'm thinking about a truck eventually, and may put the $100 deposit down this weekend just for that reason. Even the 2 motor one ordered today will probably be 3 years away considering all of the existing reservations. It is just $100 (refundable) and will lock in the price, however.
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > Well, when you buy the Turbo version of a car, you can't take the turbo with you to another car.....

Sorry to say but that analogy doesn't work that well... FSD is a software, NOT hardware...
  • > @mazers said:
    > @Bighorn, I'm thinking about a truck eventually, and may put the $100 deposit down this weekend just for that reason. Even the 2 motor one ordered today will probably be 3 years away considering all of the existing reservations. It is just $100 (refundable) and will lock in the price, however.

Same. I never put down deposits on likely future purchases like Cybertruck, Plaid or Roadster. Still probably wouldn't tie up $50k on the last.
  • “ Sorry to say but that analogy doesn't work that well... FSD is a software, NOT hardware...”

If you buy a flash tune for your turbo car, it’s locked to that VIN and not transferable to another car. That’s the proper analogy, no?
  • I myself like to drive so even when this was a few k I passed. My main issue is it does not deal with real world situations at least not when I had the free trial.

But for example yesterday my son is driving, we are going down a road and an Amazon 18 wheeler is at the least 3 feet over the double yellow line to make a turn. Now my son driving moved into the shoulder to avoid a partial head on collision.

My question is what does FSD do in this same situation???

In the past it comes to a complete stop and stays in the designated lane and you are still hit by the truck that is well over the line in your lane and in your path of travel.

Honestly the more they increase the price the less likely I will ever purchase as it does just not impress in the real world.

But maybe things have changed convince me it is worth 8k right now I think not even 2k.
  • FSD is nothing like your free trial.... Anyway, in either case you are in the car and have full control of the steering wheel, throttle, and brake. Feel free to take over if the unexpected is about to kill you. what would my grandma do?
  • FSD is licensed to the car not to the owner. That makes trade ins really unappealing if you already have FSD. It wouldn't be so bad if FSD contributed to the value of the car on the used car market but it doesn't. There was another thread where someone looked at trading in the 3 for a Y, Tesla valued FSD at 0 and Kelly Blue Book at a lousy $1400. I was thinking that I might do an upgrade when the car was three years old, or maybe at five years but now I think it's impossible. I paid $6K for FSD, now it's $10K and in another couple of years in might be 15 or 20. I've always driven car's until they were towed away, I thought this one might be different but with the way they handle FSD licensing I suspect that this one will end up leaving on a tow truck like all of the others.
  • Price change pushed back to Thursday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1319398132396871681
  • Full disclosure: I am long on TSLA and a happy Model 3 LR/DM owner.

I like the idea of FSD as a transferable software license tied to the owner -- OR -- as a monthly subscription service. I'm all on board if either of those two options were available. Instead, it's treated as a physical upgrade, like an engine replacement or race-tuned suspension upgrade. Will insurance companies reimburse for FSD if the car is totaled?

For (what will soon be) $10K, I'd rather buy more TSLA stock rather than spend that on an unrecoverable upgrade to a depreciating asset. When my Tesla has 200K miles and is worth $1000, can I sell it for $11,000 because it's got FSD? Doubt it. It's nerdy cool, but c'mon, it's a party trick at best for the foreseeable future. And no, it's not worth $100K. The FOMA marketing is slick, though. As a stockholder, I approve.
  • Monthly subscription is around the bend. As a key to sales margins, I don’t want FSD to be a one and done purchase.
  • Insurance really worries me. If you total a car an insurance company will pay the Blue Book value and FSD has very little value. Would be nice if there was a separate FSD rider that would cover the current cost of FSD rather than it's depreciated value.
  • Maybe Tesla insurance will cover FSD replacement cost. Any company with full replacement value should cover it.
  • "Insurance really worries me. If you total a car an insurance company will pay the Blue Book value and FSD has very little value"

So on the flipside, when insurance pays out the value of your totaled car, you can buy the equivalent car with FSD already on board.
  • “Wait, it is transferable to the next owner but you want it transferable to your next Tesla?”
    —————

I’d be happy with either/both. But to outlay this kind of cash on a software item that goes *poof* at trade in or resale time isn’t a good look for me. YMMV.
  • Tesla doesn't sell insurance outside of California, if it were available that would be an argument for buying insurance from Tesla rather than a regular insurance company. Unfortunately it's not an option.
  • > @ODWms said:
    > “Wait, it is transferable to the next owner but you want it transferable to your next Tesla?”
    > —————
    >
    > I’d be happy with either/both. But to outlay this kind of cash on a software item that goes *poof* at trade in or resale time isn’t a good look for me. YMMV.
    >

Hmmm, that Tesla resale shop said FSD is transferable. What am I missing?
  • On my totaled LR RWD earlier this year, I ended up getting $4000 for Enhanced Autopilot and $2400 for Full Self Driving.