General

Toll booths and FSD

The car doesn’t seem to slow for toll booths. Is that the general consensus?

The car seemed to slow but then sped up as I got closer to the booth but never really seemed to recognize it. This particular booth had gates

I wonder if they will ever be able to allow for the variety of toll booths

Comments

• Current software does not recognize toll booths among other things. Have to wait and see how the new FSD handles these situations.

“I wonder if they will ever be able to allow for the variety of toll booths“

Why? Shouldn’t be a big deal to train the NN.
  • OK, so now your 3rd "concern" thread I'm reading. Seeing a pattern here.
  • Just a new Tesla drivers concerns. It’s a great car. Just curious if others are having similar issues. I picked up my car and other than a squeak which seems to be fine, have had and don’t anticipate any issues.

The S I had several years ago was also for the most part trouble free. I missed having a Tesla which is why I went back
  • It’s not an “issue”. It’s just not level 5 automation - yet. You are complaining that the car doesn’t have functionality that has yet to be developed. Why were you expecting it to stop for toll booths with the current iteration?
  • You're a new Tesla driver except you had a 2016 Model S, but that was several years ago?
  • Because it does much more than I expected it to do without having FSD. I didn’t post it as an issue nor as a concern. It was a question.

You guys are rough.
  • The car has advanced in many ways since my 2016. I only kept the S for a year and a half.
  • > @2manycars said:
    > The car doesn’t seem to slow for toll booths. Is that the general consensus?

Correct
  • One other consideration is that you have EAP rather than FSD. EAP has a limited feature set, and I highly doubt it will ever stop for toll booths. You will need FSD to get that funcationality.
  • New york is phasing out all toll booths for the overhanging picture taking scanner things that i cant really describe. Should be smooth sailing here soon.
  • My car does detect toll booths even if it doesn’t handle them correctly. Navigate on Autopilot will disengage when an upcoming toll booth is detected.
  • I believe you can get an aftermarket coin/token cannon on Amazon.
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > the overhanging picture taking scanner things

You mean EZ Pass? :-)
  • > @2manycars said:

> The car seemed to slow but then sped up as I got closer to the booth but never really seemed to recognize it. This particular booth had gates

Get in a lane with cars ahead of you. Your car will stop when the car immediately ahead of you stops. Then floor the accelerator as the car immediately ahead of you leaves.
  • I was getting off of I-95 which is not a toll road and it said TOLL AHEAD or something similar as I was going down an exit ramp.
    Did it for about a week but either a bug report or update fixed the problem. However it still tells me to make a right turn to get on I95 instead of a left when I am at a traffic light. If I go right it takes me down a road that doesn't have anything on it for a mile. One day I'm going to just make a right and see if it sends me on a 10 mile detour.
  • @Tesla2018 - In recent builds, the nav system has occasionally made some strange routing suggestions for me. For example, when I didn’t take a suggested u-turn because traffic wouldn’t allow it, the car decided I should go 3 miles up the road and make a u-turn there, even though there was another u-turn opportunity a few hundred yards away and many others within the 3-mile stretch.

Note that l-95 does have tolls in some states.
  • @Tesla2018 - You don’t indicate where you are on I-95, but it is tolled in Florida, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, New Hampshire, and Maine. Welcome to 2020.
  • @"grins.va" - No tolls in FL except for express lanes.
  • @EVRider - I understand the nuance, but @Tesla2018 never said where he was on I-95. :-)
  • Toll booths (I'm looking at you Garden State Parkway in August) need to be eliminated and replaced by the photo auto billing.

They are a traffic and emissions disaster.

For a Tesla coming at a toll booth at high speed with just AP on, I'd guess it brakes like crazy even if you lined up the toll booth passageway from a mile out.

In making our highways autonomous car driving friendly, eliminating toll booths is a priority.

For autonomous cars now, rather than go to the huge expense of trying to figure out every possible aspect of a car navigating a toll booth just have the car kick out of auto when it sees a "Toll Ahead" sign.
  • "I'd guess it brakes like crazy"

Nope, guess again.
  • > @TabascoGuy said:
    > "I'd guess it brakes like crazy"
    >
    > Nope, guess again.

Yikes...so some nitwit in a Tesla came at the toll booth at high speed and the car failed to brake. That is scary. Hope Tesla can fix it.
  • Still wrong, try again.

Hint: substitute crazy with normally, in time, as expected, etc.
  • I was on Military Trail in Palm Beach Gardens going north just past PGA Blvd. You need to make a left at the light to get on I 95. When I was stopped at the light and after the light turned green and I went straight on Military instead of turning and put the car on autopilot after a few feet ,the car must have thought I was on the highway since it sped up to 70 mph for about 200 feet and then braked abruptly once it realized that I was still on Military Trail and the speed limit was only 45.

Haven't tried it since because I don't usually get a red light there and don't always drive on that road.

Has anyone driven on 280 in NJ around East Orange were it has the tollbooth and an overpass where about 8 lanes of traffic merge into about 2 and there are 4 cars in 2 lanes, each on each other's bumpers trying to merge into 2 lanes, or on the NJ Turnpike where it ends going South towards the Delaware Memorial Bridge. It goes from about 4 or 5 marked lanes into a section about 1/4 mile long with no lane markings and then has about 12 toll booth lanes with markings right before them. How would the car know which lanes are cash and which are ones are only for cars with transponders?