General

Model S versus Model X regenerative brake

I own a Model S and recently test drove a Model X. I noticed that Model X has three settings for regenerative braking which includes a "hold" setting which brings the car to a complete stop. my Model S has only two settings (On and Off). Is it possible to add the 3rd setting for HOLD to Model S like Model X?

Comments

• I doubt it. I think the hold feature can only work with the newer front motor that is similar to the Model 3/Y. Your X has this newer motor design, while your old S doesn't. You could buy a new S and get the new motor and the Hold feature.
  • S> @"TeslaTap.com" said: I think the hold feature can only work with the newer front motor that is similar to the Model 3/Y. "

I thought the "Hold" feature was the brakes being applied at low speed? You would think different modes of regen was a fairly easy software change. Low, Medium and High.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > S> @"TeslaTap.com" said: I think the hold feature can only work with the newer front motor that is similar to the Model 3/Y. "
    >
    > I thought the "Hold" feature was the brakes being applied at low speed? You would think different modes of regen was a fairly easy software change. Low, Medium and High.
    >
    >

No, and we went over the hold feature extensively when it first came out. The hold feature keeps using regenerative braking till it gets to 0mph. It ONLY(as of the last time I checked), applies the brakes AFTER the car stops. If regen is not enough to slow to 0mph it will push power to the motor to slow further to 0mph.

Yes Tesla COULD implement hold by using the brakes if they wanted to, but they don't currently.
  • I prefer not grinding down brake pads if it can be avoided.
  • edited October 23
    > @derotam said: The hold feature keeps using regenerative braking till it gets to 0mph."

It kicks in at MORE than 0 mph because the regen is not setup to stop the car so brakes kick in. Hold/brakes gets you the 0 mph.

But to this topic, should be able to program that into an old S. Where's all that OTA magic we keep hearing about?
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @derotam said: The hold feature keeps using regenerative braking till it gets to 0mph."
    >
    > It kicks in at MORE than 0 mph because the regen is not setup to stop the car so brakes kick in. Hold/brakes gets you the 0 mph.
    >
    > But to this topic, should be able to program that into an old S. Where's all that OTA magic we keep hearing about?
    >
    >

Why do you have to make this complicated? To get to 0mph for hold in normal driving scenarios regen is used as much as technically possible. From there, ENERGY is fed back INTO the motor from the battery in order to slow further. This can be easily seen in the CANbus messaging when in AP coming to a stop while going down a hill. After regen and power feedback stops the car, at 0mph the brakes engage to hold the vehicle so that energy is not being used anymore to hold the vehicle, especially on a decline.
  • > @derotam said:
    To get to 0mph for hold in normal driving scenarios regen is used as much as technically possible.

Eyup and then brakes go on. Why do you have make this complicated?

Issue is why can't one pedal regen with hold/brake be implemented via software for older Model S. This is, after all, the claim of the benefit of OTA's.
  • Up to the medical limits of that vehicle. It’s not infinite. You know this reasonable fact, but keep pretending
  • Mechanical limits
  • > @lbowroom said: > Mechanical limits.

What mechanical limits prevent older Model S modifying it's software controls for regen braking?
  • From this thread, the front motor I gather.