Model 3

Tesla resale

We purchased a model 3 with full self drive. We've been told by friends that when we sell the car, the self drive feature does not transfer with the car. Does anyone know if that is true?

Comments

• It’s not true. I asked this question of a Tesla seller on eBay and he referred me to a seller of used Teslas who said it was transferable. Here is his message to me. FSD is assigned to the VIN.

“ Autopilot is assigned to the car for the lifetime of the car so it will transfer to you when you buy it. :-)

https://onlyusedtesla.com/does-autopilot-full-self-driving-transfer-to-subsequent-owners/”
  • Your friends don’t know what they are talking about. It’s tied to the VIN and stays with the car.
  • Based on my understanding, the confusion is :
    1) If you sell your car , the car keeps FSD.
    2) If you trade your car in to Tesla, they removed FSD when they sell it used.
  • And, of course, you always make more money selling your car privately.
  • This is total bullshit. "Told by friends", i dont buy it. You're putting the idea in peoples heads to question whether or not software purchases will transfer with the car, in otherwords, injecting FUD.

This is like the 3rd thread today alone asking this. "Told by a friend" every time. I've heard this garbage before. "asking for a friend". bullshit, more like plastering the front page of every forum section with the idea that this could possibly be a thing.
  • You need better friends.
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > This is total bullshit. "Told by friends", i dont buy it. You're putting the idea in peoples heads to question whether or not software purchases will transfer with the car, in otherwords, injecting FUD.
    >
    > This is like the 3rd thread today alone asking this. "Told by a friend" every time. I've heard this garbage before. "asking for a friend". bullshit, more like plastering the front page of every forum section with the idea that this could possibly be a thing.

Off the meds?
  • It transfers with the car but don't expect to get much money for it. FSD isn't worth much on the used car market. Maybe that will change if the new version actually works but as of now it has very little value on the used car market. If you trade your car into Tesla for a new Tesla that won't give you anything. They take FSD off of any car that goes through them so that they can sell it again to the new buyer.
  • > @mrburke said:
    > Based on my understanding, the confusion is :
    > 1) If you sell your car , the car keeps FSD.
    > 2) If you trade your car in to Tesla, they removed FSD when they sell it used.
    >

No, Tesla does not remove paid features. There are used cars on the Tesla website with FSD. Tesla has only removed features that were delivered but never paid for.
  • @"stingray.don_98527447"
    They could easily remove the FSD to achieve a lower price point. That many of the used ones have FSD (if they do) is rather suspect insofar as the take rate is rather low IRL. More likely, they’re juicing margins by selling loaded cars, not necessarily preserving what came in on trade.
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:
    > > @mrburke said:
    > > Based on my understanding, the confusion is :
    > > 1) If you sell your car , the car keeps FSD.
    > > 2) If you trade your car in to Tesla, they removed FSD when they sell it used.
    > >
    >
    > No, Tesla does not remove paid features. There are used cars on the Tesla website with FSD. Tesla has only removed features that were delivered but never paid for.

Once you sell the car back to Tesla, they can do whatever then want. As long as you don't sell back to them, paid features stay with the car.

I want to buy a used Tesla without FSD, they are free to deactivate it. (Remember they now own the car again). Likewise they can add it to cars that don't have it if they need to reduce inventory. Used cars don't have a set price.
  • To me, there is no doubt that software upgrades will remain with the vehicle when a private sale is transacted.

The issue should be framed around insurance. Specifically, when a car gets totaled, how does the insurance company treat after market software upgrades and what is the value of FSD even if it is covered?
  • Value is determined by the market and resources like KBB can provide relevant information. Insurance will cover the features as long as you notify your agent and ensure they are included in the policy.