Model 3

Difficulty with Basic Service Center Appointment

My Model 3 needs some basic service such as tire rotation, filter changes, etc. Whatever is typically done by 20k and 2 years after I bought the car.

I made an appointment and got an estimate, but I'm unable to contact anybody by phone, which I need to do since I can't get an answer to my questions via text or the app.

I've asked them, since this is just routine and standard maintenance (nothing wrong with the car) to give me an estimate about how much time it will take. They evade the question.

The reason I need to know is that if it will take under 2 hours, I'll wait patiently for it to be done. If it takes longer than that, I'll need a loaner but if a loaner isn't available, then I need to select a different date for this service so my wife, who is remote schooling the kids, will have to stop and come pick me up. I won't take an Uber due to Covid.

So the question is:
1. Why can't they give me a broad estimate on a known service?
2. If they think it might take longer than 2 hours, why can't they let me know ahead of time if they'll hold a loaner for me or not?
3. Why does Tesla think it is a good idea to purposefully not allow anybody to call the service center to try to resolve when texting and the app isn't getting done?

Love my car and do almost everything by app or text, but the idea that EVERYTHING can be done without a telephone call is just ridiculous.

For those of us who have run into this trouble where there is no backup option to contact the center via phone, which seems to continue to happen to others, this is frustrating and becomes offensive when you realize they do this for their convenience.

Comments

• So the question is:
    1. Why can't they give me a broad estimate on a known service? just because you have an appointment they dont know when they will start on your car. You are typically given on the app 5:30 pm but should be much sooner
    2. If they think it might take longer than 2 hours, why can't they let me know ahead of time if they'll hold a loaner for me or not? typically no loaner on one day appointments. You will get $100 uber credits so use that. Not sure why Covid changes that. Wear your mask. If you are frighten about catching covid then dont go outside
    3. Why does Tesla think it is a good idea to purposefully not allow anybody to call the service center to try to resolve when texting and the app isn't getting done? Service centers are not that fully staffed, especially to take calls from people that bitch
  • Thanks for the response.

When I asked these questions directly to Tesla Service via the text, Tesla Service is even more opaque than your answers. If I am the first appointment of the day and it is known maintenance, good service centers like Sewell in Dallas easily give estimates. Tesla should strive to have service like this.

Not gonna argue with you on Covid, but being in an enclosed car with an unknown individual is just not worth the risk. Your comment about "don't go outside" is ridiculous. If they won't give loaners for my type of work, they should just say it. If they do, we should be able to set up a day and time for service where one is available for me. Not so difficult.

Not trying to call them to "bitch". Trying to arrange it properly since they evade questions via text.

Evading questions and not providing a backup option to contact them via voice is not good customer service. Although Tesla is good in a lot of ways (mobile service, cars are awesome, etc), this is a blemish that is fixable. Not agreeing shows lack of insight.
  • > @Sailguy said:
    > Thanks for the response.
    >
    > When I asked these questions directly to Tesla Service via the text, Tesla Service is even more opaque than your answers. If I am the first appointment of the day and it is known maintenance, good service centers like Sewell in Dallas easily give estimates. Tesla should strive to have service like this.
    >
    > Not gonna argue with you on Covid, but being in an enclosed car with an unknown individual is just not worth the risk. Your comment about "don't go outside" is ridiculous. If they won't give loaners for my type of work, they should just say it. If they do, we should be able to set up a day and time for service where one is available for me. Not so difficult.
    >
    > Not trying to call them to "bitch". Trying to arrange it properly since they evade questions via text.
    >
    > Evading questions and not providing a backup option to contact them via voice is not good customer service. Although Tesla is good in a lot of ways (mobile service, cars are awesome, etc), this is a blemish that is fixable. Not agreeing shows lack of insight.

How much extra are you willing to pay for someone to chat with you?
  • You should be able to request a mobile service and that should resolve all you questions
  • You know, Tesla's don't require much maintenance service. You could use a tire shop to rotate the tires and change the cabin filter yourself. Tesla's building out their service centers, but they sell so many cars that they're always busy.
  • $20 at costco...
  • Tesla could know how long it takes but harder to predict is where you car is in the queue.

When I got repair below, I had ride there planning to leave it as, previously we were not allowed to wait (Covid rules). But they said they could do it in an hour and I could wait. Best bet is reschedule where you have ride to cover contingency.

> @Twochewy said:
    > You know, Tesla's don't require much maintenance service. You could use a tire shop to rotate the tires and change the cabin filter yourself. Tesla's building out their service centers, but they sell so many cars that they're always busy.

Careful on doing the cabin air filters yourself. Did mine, finding that Tesla had put the filters in without the tabs showing (you can still get them out). What was surprising was only half the clips holding the carpet panels in had been installed (lying neatly on the floor, lunch whistle must have rung) so no way to know which ones went where. The electrical connections were also an issue. Didn't go back easily and didn't want to break them and Tesla had to put the clips back in anyway so off to service which was a three weeks out.

If you are feeling lucky, if you buy cabin filters from TapTes with the added charcoal element, they provide a complete tool kit to do the job. Nice touch.
  • Never mind trying to get service. I requested a callback about ordering a car, once from the website, and once via chat where the rep told me someone will call me within minutes. 3 days later still no call. So grateful my car never needed to go back for any service. As for routine services, I get dirty and DIY - tire rotation, brake lube, and cabin filters all done this year.
  • "only half the clips holding the carpet panels in had been installed (lying neatly on the floor, lunch whistle must have rung)"

No, they likely they came out when you removed the side panel. You have to retrieve them and position them back in place.
  • > @lbowroom said: > No, they likely they came out when you removed the side panel."

An arranged themselves neatly in a row with clips in their holder on the floor?

Nope...just never put in.
  • What part of the floor did these magically appear on that you didn’t see before?
  • And you previously stated you had to schedule an appointment to have them re-installed, why? If they were all there, it’s dead simple.
  • There’s no flat floor area behind the console cover
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > There’s no flat floor area behind the console cover

There is a flat area if you remove the carpet panel to access the cabin filters. The flat area is directly under the cabin filter.
  • I would just plan for the worse case scenario of needing a ride from the spouse. The work you need to get done is not urgent and you could pick a date that works with your spouse's schedule.

They might not tell you because they just don't know. The cars ahead of you in the queue could take longer than anticipated. They don't know the loaner situation ahead of time.
  • When I had my AC actuator fixed about month ago service center waiting area was closed due to Covid.
  • The Palo Alto SC has separate waiting areas so they were available to us last month.
  • Must add I am in GA
  • The one complaint I have about tesla service is very difficult to try to contact someone there. They need to get a phone number where people can call. because communicating through the app is a joke.
  • @Capital_AL1: I've used service a few times. Each time, after submitted, was contacted back by Tesla with SMS, which, if memory serves, had the phone number of the service advisor.
    This process means that Tesla Service has a chance to triage the service requests as they come in, which makes their actions just that much more efficient. Once one is scheduled in, contacting them for this-and-that after that first SMS contact is no problem.
    Now, if one feels like wasting a service advisor's time.. Just go and read the entries in NotAlwaysRight.com for life and times of customer-facing people. While most people are not a pain, there's this certain subset of the population that customer-facing employees dread, and with good reason. I suspect that the app approach cuts down on the dreadful types who, say, just want to chat.
  • “ because communicating through the app is a joke.”

But communicating on a forum is meaningful?
  • Do you text your friends?
  • > @Twochewy said:
    > You know, Tesla's don't require much maintenance service. You could use a tire shop to rotate the tires and change the cabin filter yourself. Tesla's building out their service centers, but they sell so many cars that they're always busy.

I saw a video that says they charge hundreds of dollars to replace a $20 air filter. Definitely do as much as possible on your own without voiding warranty
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > “ because communicating through the app is a joke.”
    >
    > But communicating on a forum is meaningful?

A forum had a different intent than communicating with a dealer.
    I just prefer communicating via phone as it is easier that typing everything out and waiting for a response and going back on forth many times and just feels more professional to me.
  • > @melkins23 said: > I saw a video that says they charge hundreds of dollars to replace a $20 air filter. Definitely do as much as possible on your own without voiding warranty."

They ended up charging me $31 to put it all back together. Did not include the two air filters which were installed.