Model 3

White seats vinyl breaking down

I have a 2019 Model 3 with ultra white seats. My car is 1 &1/2 years old and only has 12,500 miles. I take excellent care of the vehicle. The drivers seat right by the door is breaking away and is starting to look very bad. I just sold my 11 year old Lexus and never had a problem. I spoke to a few people that have Model 3 cars in white and they have no problems. Service center said the seat is not covered under warranty. Any ideas on resolving this issue?

Comments

• Can you post a picture or two. Maybe that will give us some idea of why its happening. I have white interior but its only been 5 months for me.
  • Also, what do you mean the seat is not covered by warranty? Do you mean your particular issue was not covered or do you mean the seat in general.
    I’ve had my driver seat fully replaced and it was covered by warranty (due to squeaking on the door side).
  • > @M3phan said:
    > Also, what do you mean the seat is not covered by warranty? Do you mean your particular issue was not covered or do you mean the seat in general.
    > I’ve had my driver seat fully replaced and it was covered by warranty (due to squeaking on the door side).

Replaced because of squeaking?
  • Like when you sit on it or when you move it?
  • When you hit the indicators
  • My seat was squeaking while I was driving, turning corners, breaking, accelerating, any kind of slight shift in my body weight would cause it to Creak like a granny‘s Rockingchair. Replacement seat is perfection.
  • The service department in Arizona said the seat material is not warrantied. I have the white seats and the material is coming apart.
  • OP, you may need to seek arbitration on whether the seat material issue is Tesla’s responsibility.

If you don’t get satisfaction with the Arbitration process, you can purchase M3 specific sear covers from Amazon.
  • One of our Model 3s (September 2018) has the white seats, and they still look like new. 21,487 miles on it. My guess is that the issue has nothing to do with the color.

Also, I would strongly advise against seat covers as they will prevent the seat-mounted side airbags from properly deploying. See page 41 of the manual.

I suggest that you try to escalate the issue.
  • Most seat problems are attributed to using wrong cleaning solution on seats. Read manual what about what to use when cleaning seats.
  • Can you post a picture? I would like to see what happened. I also have white seats.
  • What about what lol *about what to use*
  • Our Model 3 is almost 2 years old, and the white seats look new, though we only have about 5,200 miles on it. We’ve never used any seat cleaning products.
  • 8k miles almost one year in use with 3 little kids. No seat problems.
  • White seats
  • My seat vinyl started bubbling, breaking away from the underpaid and turning dark within 6 months. I had a model S for 3 years before and had ZERO damage to my seat. Tesla denies that the seat is faulty. There are far too many people who have the "premium" seats where this has happened for it not to be an issue with Tesla. It is clearly not happening with every seat but whatever they did or did not do has at Least contributed to the problem. I am so very disappointed in Tesla's failure to take responsibility for their weak material and that now I can't sell my car for what it would be worth because of this problem!!
  • Can you post a picture? I would like to see what happened. I also have white seats.
  • but he has Ultra white seats ;)
  • I love when some one says a lot of people 😂😂 with zero evidence or proof.
  • Can ANYONE with this problem please post a picture??? I have white seats and after 1 year of ownership they still look like brand new.
  • > @NorthValley said:
    > Can ANYONE with this problem please post a picture??? I have white seats and after 1 year of ownership they still look like brand new.

Same here and I have 3 small children.
  • no picture. it never happened.
  • > @Wilber said:
    > no picture. it never happened.

I am sure someone will photoshop something soon.
  • Crickets for photos! The OP never came back. Another poster decided this was a common issue and yet I see almost nothing about it on the internet. Likely they are just upset because Tesla saw that the damage was caused by owner and not due to fault. Amazing how people just arbitrarily decide it is Teslas fault and say that so many people have the issue when it is just untrue!