Model 3

Getting stronger WiFi in the garage

So, sometimes Summon will not connect to the car. I try Reconnect a number of times but it usually does not work. I’m assuming this is because of a poor WiFi connection in my garage.

I have a box full of Velop extender nodes but that system gave me so much trouble in my last place that I am hesitant to use it.

Should I try a Powerline system? Will it work with a whole house suppressor on my panel?

Given that I leave the Tesla 120v charger plugged into the bottom of the outlet in my garage, I need something that would fit in the top outlet and that seems hard to find.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Summon uses the cellular network. The car uses AT&T and then your provider for your cell phone. Perhaps you don’t have good cellular coverage where you are located.
  • Velop has given me no problems at all with 7 nodes.
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:
    > Summon uses the cellular network. The car uses AT&T and then your provider for your cell phone. Perhaps you don’t have good cellular coverage where you are located.

Interesting. I am on AT&T. I’ll see how many bars I have in the garage.
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > Velop has given me no problems at all with 7 nodes.

I had 7 nodes in my Faraday cage apartment in New York. I spent about 20 hours on the phone with Velop support. I’m glad it worked for you! It never worked great for me.
  • I had them all hardwired with Ethernet. You?
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > I had them all hardwired with Ethernet. You?

Hmmm, what is the point of hardwiring them all with Ethernet? It was not possible for me to run cable everywhere.
  • That does explain a lot, lol.
  • With the description of a faraday cage apartment, if the nodes don’t have strong signal between each other, then they can’t work well.
  • I've experimented with Powerline Ethernet a number of years ago, it does work. It is highly dependent on your houses wiring so I can't say if it will work for you. It's relatively cheap so it's worth the experiment. BTW the bandwidth that I got was only about 60MBits/second so it's not nearly as good as WiFI but if you can't get the signal to your garage any other way I'd try it.
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > With the description of a faraday cage apartment, if the nodes don’t have strong signal between each other, then they can’t work well.

It was amazing how poorly the system worked in an 800 square foot apartment!

The living room node could not reach the bedroom node so I put a node in the bathroom. The kitchen devices had terrible WiFi so I put two nodes in there. The dining area had awful WiFi so it got a node, and the far end of the living room could not connect reliably to stream music so it got another node.

Ok, let me count. Yes, 7 nodes, countless hours on the phone with tech support, constant complaining from my wife on how the WiFi sucked.

My apartment also defeated the Google extender and Orbi.

Now, I’m in a small house, three stories, about 1500? square feet and the WiFi is better but there is a problem with the Tesla in the garage.

For old time’s sake, maybe I’ll fire up the Velop nodes.