General

Tesla haters are now driving Teslas

https://youtu.be/npCdBmsjeZ0

I have had $6000 of damage done to my Tesla Model 3 by vandals since I bought it in 2018. Now other Tesla drivers are throwing things at my car. This guy doesn't appear to be very bright. Doesn't he realize that all Teslas have dash cams?

Comments

• Did you cut them off? From the front camera, it looked like a cut-off maneuver the way it appeared that you sped up, and the side rear shot looked like it was pretty close.

Of course, it doesn't warrant throwing things at a vehicle.
  • You be the judge. The first clip was 4 minutes before the last one. I vaguely remembered seeing a white Model Y earlier but I never saw the obscene hand gesture until I reviewed the footage later.
  • He was probably angry at you and had nothing to do with the car you were driving. Still no excuse.
  • his retaliatory actions were unacceptable - I will grant you that, but you cut him off...

you may not believe so, but the way many drivers navigate, tailgating, - weaving in and out of traffic, lack of turn signals, leaving little no room (or space) for others to react when you jump in font of them, etc...and the sad thing is - those that drive this way don't see it.- it's no wonder why there is so much road rage these days.
  • Looking at the video, it appears that the Y was following the lead car by less than a second, and that's the space that you stuffed yourself into. Looking at his and your shadows in the side shot, and the sunlight between them, I'd suggest that you moved in front of him leaving him less than a car's length of following distance. In that situation, I'd be a bit pissed about your rudeness also, but not enough to throw something at you; that was uncalled for.
  • So nothing to do with driving a Tesla?
  • It's interesting how every response here has suggested that I did something wrong to provoke this attack. I "cut him off", "jumped in front of him", "left no room to react", "stuffed myself into the space in front of him", "didn't use my turn signal".
    Watch the video again. I did use my turn signal and the lane change took 4 seconds to complete (hardly "jumping" in front of him). As far as the space between cars: when someone merges in front of you you need to back off a bit to maintain a safe distance. He had plenty of time to do that. I am getting the impression that many have the attitude that they "own" the space between their car and the one ahead of them and that nobody can merge there. It seems to me that this attitude is what causes road rage.
  • And still nothing to do with Tesla ownership.
  • OP, someone shouldn't need to back off if you allowed enough space to fit between two cars. While you see people as acting like they own the space in front of them, you seen to feel entitled to inconvenience someone else for your own convenience. In this case, it appeared that you were stuck behind a slow car. Instead of waiting for a safe and considerate lane change, you rushed into the lane with little space for the car behind you.
  • edited October 25
    > @draymond_196515 said > I am getting the impression that many have the attitude that they "own" the space between their car and the one ahead of them and that nobody can merge there. It seems to me that this attitude is what causes road rage."

I'd agree with that. I leave the following distance fairly long when in cruise and people in back of me get upset when someone moves into the lane. They'll tailgate me and then pass only to be sitting in front of me at the same speed they were traveling and "protecting their space" in front of them as though it was "their space".

Be polite. If someone needs to change lanes, let them in. It's a road trip not an ego trip.
  • > @TranzNDance said:
    > OP, someone shouldn't need to back off if you allowed enough space to fit between two cars. While you see people as acting like they own the space in front of them, you seen to feel entitled to inconvenience someone else for your own convenience. In this case, it appeared that you were stuck behind a slow car. Instead of waiting for a safe and considerate lane change, you rushed into the lane with little space for the car behind you.

^This!!
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > I'd agree with that. I leave the following distance fairly long when in cruise and people in back of me get upset when someone moves into the lane. They'll tailgate me and then pass only to be sitting in front of me at the same speed they were traveling and "protecting their space" in front of them as though it was "their space".
    >
    > Be polite. If someone needs to change lanes, let them in. It's a road trip not an ego trip.

^This
  • OP, you're the one suffering from the hate and thinking's it's the marque of the car. It's your behavior, which seems to come from an entitled attitude.

You did not "need" to change lane. You wanted to do so before you had enough clearance.
  • TranzNDance I think I have had enough of your attacks. Was it you driving that Model Y? How do you know whether I "needed" to change lanes? The other acts of vandalism occurred while it was parked. How did my "behavior" and "entitled attitude" cause that? I have owned at least a dozen other cars and never experienced anything like this. In fact I can't think of a single act of vandalism against any other car and it has happened to me 3 times in 2 years since I have owned a Tesla (4 if you count this incident). Search youtube and you will find out that it happens all the time to Tesla owners.
  • Ridiculous
  • Some one needs a chill pill
  • I'm sorry you saw my comments as attacks. They were not. They were meant to be constructive feedback so you didn't continue to draw the ire of other drivers. My motive is for a safer road for all, not to make you feel bad. I'm sorry if that was what happened.
  • @draymond_196515

So a couple things. First, the other person throwing something at your car was unacceptable. Second, I don't blame his hand gesture when you moved in front of him for the following reason. From his point of view he could have seen you as doing a hey I'm going to get ahead of this guy and jump in to try and get around this person in the slow lane. The slow lane generally isn't meant for passing. You clearly had a slower vehicle in front of you in the slow lane. Also, when you started to change lanes you were only approx 15 feet in front of the other Tesla. When merging into a different lane it is YOUR responsibility to do it safely. You forced your way into an approx 70 ft gap between the Tesla and the other car in front.
  • " I have owned at least a dozen other cars and never experienced anything like this."

Did those cars record what was going on behind you?
  • This isnt a Tesla hater. This is an angry driver. They drive all makes and models.
  • @andy +1

And, they are triggered by rude people who drive all makes and models.
  • @tabasco +1
  • You should have just rolled down your window and explained you're in the FSD Pilot. "The car can do the wrong thing at the worst time." LOL.
  • > @TabascoGuy said:
    > " I have owned at least a dozen other cars and never experienced anything like this."
    >
    > Did those cars record what was going on behind you?

Sorry TabascoGuy but I don't understand what you are implying. Are you saying that all my other cars also suffered from dents and keying while they were parked but I was unable to see the damage because they didn't have cameras?