Energy Products

Automation Dies in Firmware 1.50.1

So far we've seen the installer login now protected and this looks like its Tesla attempt to prevent automation.

Short term work around appears to login in as installer on the UI and choose installer account and toggle power and copy token back to Rest calls.

Tesla if you are watching --- the reason we use these APIs that you are now locking down is because your software is fully inadequate for multiple peaks like 5am-9am and 5pm-9pm. For the love of pete, please support multiple peaks and stop trying to shut down automation.

Work around:

Okay I got the script somewhat working although I think the fix is brittle, we'll see if it lasts for days:
I had to login as installer on the UI
Track the network traffic, my findings are the UI calls:
Some login toggle API:
It polls that API then waits for the user to go toggle power
After the user toggle power
The Basic Login API returns a token.
I copied and pasted the token into my code and and had to adjust timeout from 2,5 to like 20,50
Appears login takes more time now
If this fix survives will be thankful but somewhat doubtful

Comments

• There are multiple peaks in Western Australia, so a “please add” or “please allow” from here as well.

We also now have differential export rates so it makes a difference when the PW spills the electricity. Presently mine is choosing to sit on standby (spill all excess) until just before lunch when it starts to use the excess solar to charge the battery. In this setup it is spilling for a lower export tariff. If instead it charged up first thing in the morning and then spilled in the afternoon, it would be spilling for a greater price. [This is a tariff failure though. Government, which controls the tariffs, has decided not to increase the import rates for morning peaks and has lowered the export rates for that same time as well. Reasoning not given.]

Other jurisdictions are talking about “solar sponge” tariffs, which would mean a reduced tariff in the middle of the day. It would go like this [Off Peak (low value export)] -> [Shoulder (low value export)] -> [Off Peak (low value export)] -> [Peak (high value export)] -> ...

Other jurisdictions allow retailers to sell at wholesale market rates, which gives even greater arbitrage benefits to battery owners.

Therefore, more automation not less please.
  • > @fkhera_98397715 said:
    > So far we've seen the installer login now protected and this looks like its Tesla attempt to prevent automation.
    >
    > Short term work around appears to login in as installer on the UI and choose installer account and toggle power and copy token back to Rest calls.
    >
    > Tesla if you are watching --- the reason we use these APIs that you are now locking down is because your software is fully inadequate for multiple peaks like 5am-9am and 5pm-9pm. For the love of pete, please support multiple peaks and stop trying to shut down automation.
    >
    > Work around:
    >
    > Okay I got the script somewhat working although I think the fix is brittle, we'll see if it lasts for days:
    > I had to login as installer on the UI
    > Track the network traffic, my findings are the UI calls:
    > Some login toggle API:
    > It polls that API then waits for the user to go toggle power
    > After the user toggle power
    > The Basic Login API returns a token.
    > I copied and pasted the token into my code and and had to adjust timeout from 2,5 to like 20,50
    > Appears login takes more time now
    > If this fix survives will be thankful but somewhat doubtful

Completely with you on the multiple peaks - I too have 5am-9am / 5pm-9pm here in Arizona in "winter". I was planning on manually switching daily and perhaps playing with the shoulder periods but seems you have some potentially working API's? Could you point me towards any automated solution?
  • I submitted a request to add multiple peaks to Tesla (requested through the technical support e-mail address) and the tech noted that if enough people request it may be added. So if enough of us ask it might happen...
  • I just sent them an e-mail, too. This is what I wrote:

"Can the firmware for Powerwalls and software for the Tesla app be modified to allow for multiple "Peak" times? Utilities are getting more creative with their tariffs, and the current app limitations with only a single Peak time makes it difficult (if not impossible) to optimize Powerwall performance."

I'm in So. California, but this isn't only an Aussie problem. I can easily foresee a time (soon) when multiple peaks will be a necessity here, too. I encourage everyone to request something similar.
  • How did you get the installer's password to the GUI?