General

State with no insurance cards (MA)

Massachusetts has a system where no insurance cards are issued but there is access to a database for dealers, police to check and for RMV and insurance companies to update. The Tesla web site wants proof of insurance as a "next step". With no paper to scan or photo what exactly do they want for proof of insurance. The online still stuff definitely has some kinks in it. I don't have a VIN yet so this is for when I get one. Ordered MY before FSD price goes up. (That's Model Y not Mariner Yachts of New Hampshire). Can I ignore than next step when I get a VIN?

Comments

• Could you not get a digital copy of proof of insurance from your insurance company?
  • All the insurers offer a Print Cards function which you can use to Print on paper or as PDF.

Usually all they ask for is the number of your policy and company it is with.
  • > @OldGuy said:
    > Ordered MY before FSD price goes up. (That's Model Y not Mariner Yachts of New Hampshire).

Why didn't you write Model Y in the first place and save all the extra keystrokes?
  • The policy for your current vehicle will do until you get your VIN. Tesla will then contact the insurance agent and give details. You then have to add the MY to your policy. Mass is very picky.
  • > @VIEW_FROM_MARS said:
    > The policy for your current vehicle will do until you get your VIN. Tesla will then contact the insurance agent and give details. You then have to add the MY to your policy. Mass is very picky.

Thanks. The web page wants an image upload of the car. I'll call on Monday and see how that is handled in MA. MA system still has many kinks but mostly related to used cars not sold through a dealer.
  • > @"Yodrak." said:
    > > @OldGuy said:
    > > Ordered MY before FSD price goes up. (That's Model Y not Mariner Yachts of New Hampshire).
    >
    > Why didn't you write Model Y in the first place and save all the extra keystrokes?
    >

Glad you asked. :) Turns out I will soon own both types of MY.
  • Good news is I got a VIN and a delivery date. The web site will take anything as proof of insurance but at delivery time they might not be amused. Now that I have a VIN I should be able to get a useful proof of insurance (should). It turns out the delivery process is handled by another web page that is not gated by entering proof of insurance and you get that URL in a text message. The way MA insurance works you have to provide a delivery date or the insurer must start insuring you right away or they can do nothing and just set aside the information (according to my insurer which could be BS). I have yet to see anything show up on the insurer's web site and hopefully it will show up before the delivery date, not on the activation date (why I said "should" above).