Model X

Dash Cam Glitchiness

A few months ago, I was involved in a car crash so severe that that our Model X came very close to getting totalled. Fortunately I was not hurt. The other driver did not appear to have been so lucky since an ambulance was called to take her away. Fourteen weeks later, we have the car back and it seems to be running as well as before.

I'm more attuned than ever to the reliability of the Tesla DashCam. It just so happened to be working as advertised when the accident occurred. The uncorrupted recording that I forgot to save in the moments immediately after the accident, but which I miraculously retrieved anyway, freed me of any liability in the accident. The recording made it very evident that the other driver was 100%. at fault. She is now being personally sued by my insurance company because of coverage limits on her auto insurance policy.

My Tesla Dash Cam just disappears. It has been disappearing more and more frequently of late. I've removed the SANDISK drive-thingy, I've rebooted the car, I've changed USB ports, I've reformatted, and renamed folders "TeslaCam." I've wiggled and jiggled the drive in each port. Each time I can get the Dash Cam to come back, eventually, only to have it disappear a few hours or a few moments later.

Besides investing in a real dash cam, is there anything else I can do in the way of troubleshooting?I know there are scores of threads about this, but I'd appreciate it if someone could link me to the correct one.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• How long have you been using the flash drive? They have a finite lifetime, with cheaper ones maybe lasting 3-6 months. I'd try a new drive. For longer life get a SD adapter and use an extreme SD card rated for dashcam use.

Here's my more extensive troubleshooting guide:https://cammem.com/tesla/troubleshooting/

For drive recommendations:
    https://cammem.com/tesla/recommendations/
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > How long have you been using the flash drive? They have a finite lifetime, with cheaper ones maybe lasting 3-6 months. I'd try a new drive. For longer life get a SD adapter and use an extreme SD card rated for dashcam use.

I knew I could count on you to chime in again about this. Thanks so much. I am now in search of an "extreme SD card" on amazon. I'm mindful of fakes, maybe heading down to the local Best Buy might be my best bet.

Thanks again.
  • 3> @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > How long have you been using the flash drive? /
    >
    I just checked. I got a SanDisk 128GB "Extreme MicroSDXC UHS memory card back in May 2020. The accident was in June 2020. I pulled the memory card out of the car in late June. I got the car back in early October.

Could the card with so many letters in its name, and described as "extreme", have failed after only five months, four of which the car was in a storage yard, and the memory card removed?
  • It should last more than a month, and you're smart in using a large drive as that helps a lot with longevity. It may just be a bad drive, although that's rare.

Also, consumer flash drives are not rated for automotive temperatures, so while parked it can cook the drive. Remember 150F cabin temperatures are typical on a sunny summer day if you don't use Cabin overheat protection.

Anyway, I hope you'll come back and let us know if your new drive works and solves the problem. I'd be embarrassed if I sent you down the wrong path!
    >> Anyway, I hope you'll come back and let us know if your new drive works and solves the problem. I'd be embarrassed if I sent you down the wrong path!

That won't be likely at all. You're always incredibly helpful.

Just came back from Best Buy with SanDisk Extreme PLUS A2 128GB micro SD card, advertising speeds of "up to 170 MB/s."

I'll let you know how long this lasts.

By the way, is my five month old SD card now just toast? Or can I use it to store something else?
  • I suspect it is toast, but try it out on your PC. If it starts working, I'd not put anything critical on it.
    > I suspect it is toast, but try it out on your PC. If it starts working, I'd not put anything critical on it.

Wow...that was disappointing. I formatted my brand spanking new micro SD card, created a brand new TeslaCam folder and, nothing.

I believe I'll be making a mobile service appointment next. If there's anything wrong with the Dash Cam software, they may be able to fix it remotely.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I'll update this thread when appropriate.
  • UPDATE.

Tesla Mobile Service paid me a short visit earlier this morning.

Good News, nothing is wrong with the Dash Cam feature.

Bad News, I got another lesson in RTFM.

Right in front of me the tech pulled up the Owner’s Manual on my MCU. He read off the only two USB flash drives that Tesla will confidently recommend. They are a Sandisk USB 3.1 ULTRAFIT Flash Drive, and a Samsung MUF-64A/B Fit Plus 200 MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive.

I ran to the nearest Best Buy, bought the Sandisk, formatted in my car, and the Dash Cam came up immediately.

It’s only been a few hours. I’m hoping the new flash drive recommended by Tesla lasts longer than five months.