Model S

Backup Camera Night Vision

M3 owner and was convinced to throw down for an S now. Brilliant car. But, the backup camera/lights are worthless at night? Is there a setting I need to adjust, or is this a serious design flaw?

Comments

• Was fabulous with MCU1. After the upgrade to MCU2 it's pretty badly illuminated at night. Not sure what the deal is.
  • Known issue that apparently can be improved with new camera, per post on TMC.
  • > @"SoCal Buzz" said:
    > Known issue that apparently can be improved with new camera, per post on TMC.

Covered under warranty?
  • I've had the same problem since I purchased my "Raven" June 2019. Have had several MS's previously & my new one definitely had diminished nighttime illumination. Have taken it into service 4 X's for this, even replacing the backup camera, to no avail. Told it was a firmware problem & a fix was pending. That was 9 mos ago.
  • My backup illumination went out after upgrading from MCU 1 to 2 as well
    Just waiting for a fix, as new cameras do not seem to be the solution.
  • Same issue, I thought it was bad eyesight! Basically went much darker after my MCU1 to MCU2 replacement. Camera is pretty much useless in the dark unless you flash the brake lights to illuminate things. I think somebody at Tesla missed validating the upgrade before pushing it out to the general public.
  • Thanks for the responses. I’ll hope a software fix is developed soon.
  • @SoCal Buzz, can you give us a link to TMC where that info is posted? Please?
  • I had a service appointment scheduled for this issue, and they called me today (1/6/21) to cancel it and told me that a firmware fix is coming for the dark backup camera issue which began when I upgraded my MS recently to MCU2. The tech stated that the rear camera brightness will be better with upcoming version "20.21.8".

This version # does not correspond with my current software version 2020.48.30 but I did not notice this until after the call and hope the gist of the message is legit.
  • > @cliffordbaynon_93393562 said:
    > I had a service appointment scheduled for this issue, and they called me today (1/6/21) to cancel it and told me that a firmware fix is coming for the dark backup camera issue which began when I upgraded my MS recently to MCU2. The tech stated that the rear camera brightness will be better with upcoming version "20.21.8".
    >
    > This version # does not correspond with my current software version 2020.48.30 but I did not notice this until after the call and hope the gist of the message is legit.

They probably meant 2021.*.*.
  • > @DRFLGD said:
    > > @cliffordbaynon_93393562 said:
    > > I had a service appointment scheduled for this issue, and they called me today (1/6/21) to cancel it and told me that a firmware fix is coming for the dark backup camera issue which began when I upgraded my MS recently to MCU2. The tech stated that the rear camera brightness will be better with upcoming version "20.21.8".
    > >
    > > This version # does not correspond with my current software version 2020.48.30 but I did not notice this until after the call and hope the gist of the message is legit.
    >
    > They probably meant 2021.*.*.

I'm assuming this update is coming soon! I'm having the same issue on my 2015 MCU1->MCU2 Model S. I was about to order a backup camera upgrade to do it myself, but I am praying this software update will fix it instead. Fingers crossed!
  • What is a backup camera upgrade? Its that what its called in the parts catalog? Or something that Bob Lutz is selling on eBay?
  • I have the same problem, but I'm not downloading any updates until they fix the font issue.
  • After upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2 when the MCU1 went bad on my 2015 Model S, I have the same problem with the backup camera become dark and unusable at night. The font size on the screen is very small also. I am in contact with my advisor for help.