Solar Panels

Visible Pipes on the roof - Solar Panel Installation

Last week tesla has installed the solar panel at my home. Tesla has installed panel in the front and back of the roof. But the pipes which are running from the inverter are visible on the roof as well as there is a kind of cross connection between the front and back solar panel which is visible on the roof. It looks very awkward. My neighbors have solar panel installed by the local companies but I don't see any visible pipe or cross connections on the roof. Is this how Tesla installs the panel? I have sent an email to them but I am sure that they won't respond. Also, they have stopped installing the power blasters. My friends who installed the panel have the power blasters so that they can see the energy consumption. But now without the power blaster, I can see the energy produced by the panel. They never communicated with me on this. So frustrating in dealing with the customer support

Comments

• These are all things you should have brought up when you did your due-diligence before you signed the contract. If the conduit routing and PowerBlaster weren't mentioned, the time to correct them was before signing. You did read the contract carefully before signing it, right?

Consider this an expensive lesson, and move on.
  • I am not aware about these things as in my community someone has installed tesla solar panel, went and saw the installation and ordered one. After the installation, I see the difference.
  • The other customer probably specified their conduit run locations prior to signing their contract. I know I did. You should have, too.
  • It’s safe to assume they will route conduit (“pipes”) over the roof (which is faster and easier) unless you ask them otherwise. I discussed the conduit routing with the crew the morning of the install, and had no problem changing the plan slightly to my preference.

Your neighbors probably have conduit running through the attic. It would have been worth asking if you wanted Tesla would do it that way.
  • Tesla doesn't care what you want. They give you what they want to give you.
  • Buenoshun, that’s cute, but in my experience, it’s not true. The installer was willing to adjust the conduit layout. If you want more customization, go with someone else. If you want Tesla’s low prices, go with Tesla. Isn’t it great we have a free market for solar installation?
  • "Tesla doesn't care what you want. They give you what they want to give you."

Absolutely untrue.

Tesla put my Powerwalls where I wanted them to go, rather than where they wanted (which was inside, next to my PV inverter). Putting them where they wanted would have required me to reconfigure all of the storage cabinets in my garage. That wasn't going to happen. We installed them on the exterior wall instead, as the modified contract specified.

When I was specifying conduit routing for the PWs, they wanted to wrap conduit outside and around our chimney, but I convinced them to go through the attic instead, and had the contract reflect that. It helped that I had "upgraded" my attic for storage, with insulation, plywood and lighting. I knew it would be an easy sell once the installers saw it.

The installers still wanted the external wrap. After I insisted that they follow me up into the attic and have a look, they readily agreed. It was actually easier for them to route through my attic (rather than from ladders), but I had to be an advocate for myself and stay insistent.

This is YOUR HOUSE and YOU ARE THE BOSS. If you don't like what's in the contract DON'T SIGN IT. You always have the option to simply walk away. Once the contract is signed ENFORCE IT every step of the way. This is the case for every contract for every large purchase we ever make. Whining about it after the fact because you didn't do your due-diligence is just typical refusal to take responsibility for poor decisions. Harsh? You bet, but it's reality.
  • "Tesla doesn't care what you want. They give you what they want to give you." NOT TRUE !!!

Not my experience either. The actual location of my powerwalls and routing of the conduit was negotiated and revised with the Tesla installers ON THE DAY OF INSTALLATION. It was a simple conversation. Mostly the conduit - it was a visual issue and they clearly understood. Same goes with the location and interconnection of the TEG and updated breaker box. Everybody take a look at the reality of installation on the that day - the "as built" is virtually never identical to the plans for any project. There are nuances and variations in every construction event.
    My guys were ex-Solar City guys that had moved into the Tesla family.
    A cup of coffee, a warm welcome and some genuine appreciation go a long way...
  • I just called them, and asked about the conduits.
    They say some people dont have an attic so they need the conduits on the roof, but i do have an attic so it will be routed through the attic. Now another advisor might tell something different. That might be the issue.
  • As with every contract...get changes IN WRITING. Then it doesn't matter who the "advisor" is moving forward.
  • Tesla was very accommodating during my install. We went over various locations for PWs, inverters, and the Gateway. I pointed out where I wanted the conduit even though it was a bit more work. When there was a question of different ways to do things they usually asked if I cared or checked if I agree with the plan. I didn't have any of these details in writing either. Was it perfect? Maybe not as I would have routed one conduit slightly differently in the attic, but there is nothing wrong with what they did. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give them a 9.5.
  • I had a recent panel/PW install and requested attic conduit instead of across the roof, down and around the eaves, then down the outside wall. The conduit from the panels was installed in the attic as requested.
  • Interesting. I made that request today and was told "No. The pipes can only be installed on the exterior." Don't know if it is because of my tile roof, but I was not given the option.
  • Tiles do make it more difficult. The concern is making the conduit holes watertight and cutting the tiles without having them crack. I'm sure it can be done but adds a bit of risk to the contractor and maybe why this didn't want to do it.

Five years ago I had solar panels installed on a tile roof. They were only willing to make holes when I supplied a batch of spare tiles. They destroyed at least 10 tiles on the job, and I think they were being careful.