Model 3

pillar cameras blocked

Hi, Had our M3 for almost a year now. As we go travelling along we get this message pop up - sometimes it's the left, sometimes it's the right. Live in UK in village with narrow country lanes so can understand if we have to pull right into hedge for another vehicle to pass but can't quite understand it when on major A road or Motorway when plenty of space either side of car. And yes we have tried cleaning the car and making sure no mud on camera! Any ideas of what's going on? Thanks

Comments

• Sometimes they can be blinded by direct sunlight.
  • Oh Thanks Stingray.don hadn't thought of sunlight!
  • And blocked by rain and spray and morning dew. I'll get that warning every dewy or frosty morning until motion has cleared the cameras. Also on the highway with rain and spray.
  • I’ve seen that error message in recent builds in both our S and 3. It’s always the left door pillar. I suspect it’s a bug because the lighting conditions weren’t a factor in all cases, and there was nothing obstructing the camera.
  • I have sometimes gotten camera blockage notifications during heavy rain. Also, AP sometimes quits during a downpour.
  • Yeah, about two weeks ago, when driving on an east-west interstate in the west-bound direction had sun blasting away at my left ear. At a certain angle, EAP went offline and said something about, "Disabled for now. May work on your next drive". Then the road would swing five or ten degrees in direction and EAP would come right on back.
    Um. Watch out for FISH: He/she/it is a troll.
    Yup: You'll also loose Autopilot when the rain cometh down heavy. First, you'll lose NoA; if it's heavy enough so the car can't make out the lane markers, you'll lose lane-keeping, as well. But the rain density to get to that state is under the folder of "torrential"; at that point, sane drivers slow 'way down, unless they have a death wish.
  • I got this regularly last winter. Mixture of rain, spray and, on the A1, contrast difference between the dark countryside on the left (when no hedges) and the headlights lighting the road ahead and cars/lorries on the right,

I also had warnings for the “fender” camera, which I think is on the wing.

I carry a cloth to clear the cameras, but spray and rain were most days last winter. Got to the point where I just ignored it.
  • I can confirm the same problem as the OP. I’m in the U.K. also.

Drove for about 20 miles on dark country roads this evening and the left camera blocked or blinded message displayed for much of the drive. Also multiple cameras blocked message.

When I parked up I checked all the cameras. They are fine and no condensation.

Weather was clear. No precipitation.
  • Make bug reports when th is occurring, then make a service appointment in the app.
  • > @PagemakersS75P3 said:
    > I can confirm the same problem as the OP. I’m in the U.K. also.
    >
    > Drove for about 20 miles on dark country roads this evening and the left camera blocked or blinded message displayed for much of the drive. Also multiple cameras blocked message.
    >
    > When I parked up I checked all the cameras. They are fine and no condensation.
    >
    > Weather was clear. No precipitation.

Was the sun low down just before sunset? Could be sunlight blinding the cameras through the trees? I had that once. If it was nighttime then just make service appointment.
  • Bug reports are tricky as the car hears "book report". Trying to find out how to say "bug" in a way the car understands. Been filing (and trying to file) a lot as the 20mph signs on entry to side roads are getting recognised on main roads. Car even displayed one as being facing when it was really at an acute angle - impressive that it read the sign from the angle though.

On the main topic, I find dark country roads (and trunk roads) at night are the ones where this is most consistent. No hedgerow, dark fields and dark sky. Nothing for the camera to see so it assumes it's blocked.

The other cameras see the road ahead and traffic on the offside so have something to work on by comparison and the computer then seems to assume that the lack of information on the nearside is due to a camera blockage.

I did have the camera on the offside being dazzled today by low sun and (the usual at this time of year) wet road, but that's different.

I don't get concerned about the camera blockage reports now as they have all had a good reason - rain, spray, sun and lack of light.
  • Check for condensation in the cameras. I just got a camera blocked or blinded warning this morning, both side pillar cameras have condensation. Happens all the time in the winter.
  • Thank you everyone for all your answers and suggestions. Pleased to hear that it wasn't just us getting this message.
  • There is a Tesla tech note. I saved it but now I can't find it. It was a PDF and it referred to removing the dust filter on the camera housing to promote better air flow in the pillar cameras. This is now done at the factory but the doc specified which vehicles birthday still had the filters. I wish I could find the doc again. I think I got it off of TMC originally if anyone has the link.