Model 3

Wireless charger and iPhone 12 Pro issues

Just got a new iPhone 12 Pro this week and am consistently having issues with the official wireless phone charger accessory for the center console. Seems like the charging contact points don’t line up well with this phone. Sometimes it starts charging after a few seconds, other times it never charges. Re-seating the phone sometimes works, but not consistently.

Other wireless chargers in my home are working as expected with the new phone. All other compatible phones in the house are still charging as expected in the car (iPhone 11 Pro and Google Pixel 4)

Anybody else having this issue? I searched the forums but couldn’t find anything.

Comments

• Since Apple like as much proprietary stuff as possible, like Sony of old (the usual complainers will say that about the Tesla charging connector but Tesla offered this up to other automakers in the past) I expect third parties will sell you a MagSafe car charger eventually. I don't know if Tesla will offer one. I guess USB-C for iPhones is never gonna happen because using the one connector for phones laptops and everything else made too much sense!
  • As a kludge I am sure someone will come up with a stick on magnet so you can align your new phone with existing Qi chargers
  • > @ksrehman said:
    I guess USB-C for iPhones is never gonna happen...

Agreed; they'll likely go port-less.
  • > @ksrehman said:
    > Since Apple like as much proprietary stuff as possible [...] I expect third parties will sell you a MagSafe car charger eventually.

It’s just weird that other 3rd party wireless chargers are working fine. I have an Anker brand that I use on my nightstand to charge iPhone and Pixel phones. That is working with the 12 fine. Maybe an odd alignment in the Tesla accessory.
  • Just curious, is the charger working with the 12?
  • I use an aftermarket TAPTES charging pad in my Model 3 and have the same issue. Are you using a case with your iPhone 12? I use a OtterBox Defender case, which works fine with my old iPhone X, but apparently does not work with my new iPhone 12. When I removed the case, the charging pad works perfectly with my new iPhone 12. But that's no solution.
  • I have the same issue on my Model Y. The iPhone 12 Pro Max will charge with no case just fine, but if I put on the Apple case it does nothing.
  • > @Bucky767 said:
    > I use an aftermarket TAPTES charging pad in my Model 3 and have the same issue. Are you using a case with your iPhone 12? I use a OtterBox Defender case, which works fine with my old iPhone X, but apparently does not work with my new iPhone 12. When I removed the case, the charging pad works perfectly with my new iPhone 12. But that's no solution."

Sounds like getting new case is the solution.
  • Having the same issue. Apple standard leather case for my iPhone X worked just fine on the Tesla charging pad. I’ll just keep a spare usb charger in the interim until a compatible after market charging pad catches up. For now I just have a super expensive anti-slip holder. Really annoying.
  • Just got our IPhone 12 Pro Maxes and they don’t cjRge on the Jeda V2 pad unless we turn them upside down. Hahaha. The new phone chi coil must be off center or maybe it’s something else??
  • I have the same issue with my 12 pro max. I can not get it to charge on wireless charging pad.
  • I got the iphone 12 pro max and the model 3 refresh and it works great on the new charging pad. For anyone wondering
  • Dang sweet. Thanks for teasing me with your refresh!
  • I have the iPhone 12 mini and it charges just fine on the Tesla wireless pad.
  • Turns out our 12 pro maxes charge without cases. Same case model worked on the 11 so I’m guessing something about the phone coil has changed a bit.
  • I have my mini in an Apple silicon case and it works on the Tesla charger. Maybe something to do with the larger phones?
  • My buddy noticed his 12 pro max has to be placed “just so” on his wireless charge mat at home, unlike his previous 11 (could just place it and go with not so much precision. I’m thinking Apple changed the size of the chi coil with this new MagSafe thing.
  • The 12 Pro Max is a big phone. It needs to sit slightly lower that it's able to on the charging pad. If you're mechanically inclined, I have a solution that worked.

I used a right angle grinder with a course sanding wheel to trim the plastic stop at the base of the pad. The plastic part is a 6 1/2" base that keeps the phone from sliding down. It can be removed by pushing it to the left and then lifting it out. Its locking mechanism is not intended to be used repeatedly and could become less secure with repeated removal and replacement.

This part has an unnecessary extension than can be removed without compromising the part's securing mechanism.

You've probably noticed that it feels like your phone could slide up and over this piece and fall into the console below. That's because it's being stopped by a quarter-round bevel...which doesn't really make sense.

So, if you grind that bevel off to create a simple right angle, the phone will be better supported. But that does not lower it enough to bring the charging coil into position — keep grinding. In order to know when to stop, turn the part upside down, you'll see where the unnecessary flange that needs to be removed meets the appliance's locking mechanism. I hand held the soft plastic part and grinder so as not to damage it. Remove all of the 1/2 round flange but do not remove any material at the point the part increases in thickness.

Grinding plastic makes it heat and melt so go easy and slow. Grind the part holding it upside down and use the elevation change as a limit point to know where to stop at. Remember, remove only the thiner material and stop before but at the thicker material.

I used tape as a center guide to expose only half of the piece so the passenger side would be unchanged.

If this sounds drastic, you can reassure yourself that repositioning the phone is needed. Just put it on the pad and then lift it over the stop and move it down a half inch or so. Even being slightly elevated from the stop, it will start charging. It's a big phone.

Good luck.
  • I got my 12 promax to work by changing cases, I now use the Apple brand clear case and it charges on my car wireless charger just fine
  • I have a Jedi version 3 charger and an Apple colored case. My iPhone 12 Pro Max charges just fine. FYI.
  • Having issues with the iPhone 12 mini on the model Y I just took delivery of. It has to be set perfectly which is annoying every time I get in the car trying to find the exact spot.
  • > @Jaybones86 said:> Having issues with the iPhone 12 mini on the model Y I just took delivery of. It has to be set perfectly which is annoying every time I get in the car trying to find the exact spot.

Maybe put some tape on the charger to show position.
  • > @NorthValley said:
    > I have the iPhone 12 mini and it charges just fine on the Tesla wireless pad.

> @NorthValley said:
    > I have the iPhone 12 mini and it charges just fine on the Tesla wireless pad.

> @Jaybones86 said:
    > Having issues with the iPhone 12 mini on the model Y I just took delivery of. It has to be set perfectly which is annoying every time I get in the car trying to find the exact spot.

> @Jaybones86 said:
    > Having issues with the iPhone 12 mini on the model Y I just took delivery of. It has to be set perfectly which is annoying every time I get in the car trying to find the exact spot.
  • I can’t seem to find “ the sweet spot” on the y charging mat with my iphone 12 mini. If I could I’d mark it. Considering attaching the apple mag safe charger to the mat and sticking my phone there. I am concerned about it overheating attached directly to the mat. Do you think that would work?
  • My 12 pro max isn't charging either with any case on, I've tried the apple leather and the UAG monarch, without a case it works fine