General

FSD cost

I know I’m in the minority here but didn’t know if anyone else felt this way. We purchased a 2020 long range model 3 for about 51k all in . Great car and we have 10k on it and wife loves it . I’d love to get the FSD and I know the price is just going higher and higher but does Tesla just figure if you own one of their cars you can just drop 8k, 10k for FSD. That’s so much money for most people for a program . I know it’s years and years and years of work and it’s great but paying that much is just something we can’t spend that much money on .

Anyone else in the same boat or should that amount just be a “no big deal” if your a Tesla owner.

Not as much complaining as it’s sad we will never be able to own it as it’s just out of our price range.

Comments

• Feel your pain. I do feel its bit much and it's going up. i've got a model s and has Enhanced autopilot which was $5k. now to upgrade to FSD it will be another $5k before the price hike. After price increase may be $7k.
  • @synthesis2_98595020

With the money you DID spend, you could have gotten an SR+ WITH FSD, so please don't pull the "if you own one of their cars you can just drop" x amount of money...

Sorry for being so sarcastic, it's just that that same mindset comes up over and over. There are a lot of things people can and cannot afford, and lots of different options for things that people can and cannot afford. You choose the options that are most important for you with the money you have and sometimes the product feature/price set is not compatible with your specific needs.(for example, you NEED an LR, therefore you cannot afford FSD on top of that).
  • Purchasing a luxury car for the bells and whistles , comfort, style, etc, is a choice, not a necessity, so is purchasing FSD.

Elon has preached over and over that FSD will evolve and the purchase price will continue to rise. He has also suggested (at every opportunity) purchasing it before the price goes up.

I didn’t put it for my model Y as it will be traded in for my Cybertruck.
    I did however, reserve it on my Cybertruck, knowing Elon’s word is something you can Bank on (literally).

So Yes, Tesla does figure that you can drop 8k / 10k if you want it bad enough, they have millions (probably billions) in R&D .

8k is/was a bargain
  • FSD was $6k when I bought it last year. It seemed like a lot at the time, but now I feel like I got a bargain.
  • For those customers willing to take a chance, Tesla offered FSD at a lower cost when purchased with the vehicle.

Since then, Tesla has continued software development, adding new features, getting closer and closer to FSD - with the next release likely providing "navigate on autopilot" for all streets (not just highways) - and then increasing the cost of activating FSD.

We purchased FSD with our 2017 S and 2018 X, and gambled that Tesla would eventually provide functionality that would provide value for the $3K we spent for FSD on both vehicles. There was no guarantee that Tesla would provide FSD during our ownership of both vehicles, so there was considerable risk with purchasing FSD - and for quite a while, we didn't get any functionality for that additional cost.

$10K is a lot to activate FSD - and because many existing customers will be unwilling to spend that much for a vehicle that is no longer new, Musk has announced Tesla plans to offer a monthly subscription fee for FSD, which will lower the cost. Customers can then look at the monthly FSD cost vs. spending $10K and decide which option makes the best financial sense. If the owner only plans to keep the vehicle another 2-3 years, then the monthly subscription will be more affordable.

Though... Vehicles with FSD purchased should have a higher resale value.

Looking longer term, we should expect FSD to follow the typical emerging technology curve. FSD will be very expensive when first introduced, especially when available only from a single source. As more manufacturers provide the functionality, the market will become more competitive, and the price will (eventually) drop.

And, at some point, it will become a standard feature - provided for no additional cost, in all vehicles. And, if Musk is right, and Tesla is able to get FSD working and approved for use, this may happen in years, not decades, faster than anyone (especially Tesla's competitors) expect.

For those who don't want to drop $10K on FSD, wait until next year, and get it through subscription at a lower cost... And even if it operates in driver assist mode, it should be safer than driving without the FSD/AP software.
  • ".....because many existing customers will be unwilling to spend that much for a vehicle that is no longer new, Musk has announced Tesla plans to offer a monthly subscription fee for FSD....."

Perhaps they keep pushing up the price to goat people into getting the subscription service which would generate more revenue for Tesla

Also, as far is it being too expensive, the market will determine that.
  • > @derotam said:
    > @synthesis2_98595020
    >
    > With the money you DID spend, you could have gotten an SR+ WITH FSD, so please don't pull the "if you own one of their cars you can just drop" x amount of money...
    >
    > Sorry for being so sarcastic, it's just that that same mindset comes up over and over. There are a lot of things people can and cannot afford, and lots of different options for things that people can and cannot afford. You choose the options that are most important for you with the money you have and sometimes the product feature/price set is not compatible with your specific needs.(for example, you NEED an LR, therefore you cannot afford FSD on top of that).
    >
  • Look I didn’t want to get into a argument about it saying your wrong for wanting and someone posted that I could have purchased a SR with FSD but that is not the case . It’s my wife’s car and she drives 200-300 miles a day plus we live in the midwest so need AWD.

I know I’m in the minority just making the point that for a few of us ( maybe a very small number) 10k is simply to much money to spend on FSD . So the sad part for Tesla , again not that they care .00000000000001% about what I say but they prices themselves out of our range .

I’m super happy to all of you who have it or will have it soon but I just wish it was affordable for the masses .
  • What makes it affordable for the masses: an entire paradigm shift in the way we think about car ownership. FSD enables inexpensive transportation as a service — you don’t own a car; you request one when you need it, and it drives you wherever you need to go.

Alternatively, Elon has hinted about and FSD monthly subscription. And finally, if people can’t afford it, they can drive the car themselves, the old-fashioned way.

Not that Tesla is going to be selling cars to individuals any more, after FSD becomes available. Why would they? The car is worth $200K-$300K to Tesla over its lifetime when employed as a robo-taxi, so it would be silly for them to sell to individuals for less than that.
  • > @synthesis2_98595020 said:

I know what you mean, but the way i look at it is like the stock market with a guaranteed doubling date. At some point in the near future the Tesla network will get launched and you can turn that $8k you dropped on FSD into $20k per year in passive cab income. You could literally buy another Tesla.
  • I am still sceptical about whole robotaxi thing in near future. Look how they abounded AP1 when they bragged about it being able to do self driving. I know it's not fully their fault but still leaves bad taste in the mouth.
  • I'm with the OP. I'm not rich, but I can afford nice stuff. Lord knows, I've spent more than the FSD fee (in multiples) on my hobbies. But those are tangible things that I could pass on to my grandkids or liquidate if I needed to. I've done the latter many times when my leisure focus changes from, let's say, photography to guitars.

But FSD isn't tangible. It's a non-transferable, restricted-use software license, sold without any terms and conditions. And it costs (after tomorrow) $10K. It's a leap of faith. Tesla can alter, cancel or delay the program at their will. Competition could clobber it and drive down prices. I think it is more likely that Tesla will be giving it away in 5 years than they will be selling it for 100K then.

Elon admits the thing he gets wrong most of the time is timing. He said in 2017 that we'd be able to sleep behind the wheel (safely/legally) by 2019 (last year). I don't buy the robotaxi promise as there are too many unanswered questions about the program.

I don't have FSD, but I've always been an early adopter and I would definitely like to have it. If I were patient and disciplined, I'd wait for the subscription program, which I think will replace the perpetual license fee we have currently. It's the way software is sold now - just look to Adobe, Microsoft, Oracle, SAP and a thousand other players. The current payment paradigm has funded R&D and I predict will top out at $10K as the subscription model is rolled out. They'll need to find sweet spot for the subscription pricing. It it likely to be somewhere around the point that if you keep your car less than X years, subscription is the way to go, but if you keep it more than X years, fixed-price is the way to go. That's assuming fixed-price is still available after the subscription model is rolled out.
  • Rant Alert...

The entitlement mentality is getting really REALLY old - FSD is an option and not a necessity.
    If you want it, and can afford it - then get it now as the price will continue to increase.
    If you can't afford it - well, that unfortunate for you, but not Tesla's problem.

There are many things in life I do not need, but I want and cannot afford, that does not entitle me to it, NOR does it justify whining about it.
  • "....At some point in the near future the Tesla network will get launched and you can turn that $8k you dropped on FSD into $20k per year in passive cab income. " I think Tesla is misjudging just how many people are willing to do this to be promoting the potential income which is the basis of their justification of the ever increasing price. While the connection people have with their cars is nowhere near what it once was, people still think of their car as a personal item and don't want strangers touching it. So Tesla has three huge hurdles in this mission to create "robo-taxis". There is the technological hurdles, regulatory hurdles and then Tesla owners acceptance.
  • I bought FSD because it was a new technology and had confidence that $7k FSD will evolve and Elon will not settle anything less of a functionality. After driving with FSD, I am pretty impressed. I am sure it will take 2 years to get the ultimate version and 10K change reflects that. If you are not so excited about what FSDs feature over autopilot, then it is fine too. My wife does not use it and is happy with lane assist feature and semi-auto lane change by just using the indicator stick. But I agree, 10K is a steep cost to pay for a luxury feature, which still requires you to be on high alert and very annoying on road where lines are unclear, when cars are parked to close and there is no continuity in the lane lines; I have experienced sudden breaking, swirling and loud alerts. Having said that, on highways it is takes all the driving strain away; I found it very safe.
  • Miguzi,

Look if this comes across as entitlement then I’m sorry . That wasn’t the point and I agree that it’s a option . I guess my point wasn’t to convince anyone that what I’m saying is correct or not but more to say that 10k for that option is just too much for people to be able to afford .

Again not many who own Tesla’s possibly but for many . And I agree that’s it’s a option , a very cool option most would like to have but it’s just to high for many of things s. Just more of a cool great feature I’ll never get to experience .

Tesla’s sell from word of mouth and I’ve had 4 people buy them once I showed them how it works etc . So I helped sell 4 of them for Tesla . Again I don’t want anything in return but if FSD was more affordable (say 3-4K) and I could show people how it works I’d probably help them sell more .

It’s fine , I won’t have self driving , it’s cool , just wished it would be a bit more affordable . That’s all , I certainly am not crying about it just making a statement .
  • synthesis2_98595020

I get that you wish it were less expensive, now that it's out, there are going to be a lot more in the same boat.
    But you created a post to complain about the price.

if you said something like - it would be great if I could afford that. it's a shame I wasn't able to get it when it was cheaper, - that would have generated a log of agreement. Instead you played the victim by complaining about the price. You may not see that as entitlement, look look a little harder.

Heck, I wish I bought Tesla stock when it was 'much' cheaper, but if I were to complain about the price being too high for me to afford, and asking if others felt the same way, I'd be laughed at.
  • OP, are you upset about not being able to afford a chauffeur? FSD is almost like having one. Google's self-driving project was called Chauffeur. A human or AI chauffeur is truly a luxury, more luxurious than the leather-clad car that takes one to the luxury shop that sells luxury goods that cost more than most people's paychecks.

Elon had said that the price of FSD would go up. It was discounted for early buyers to entice them since they were taking a big risk on something that they might not get to use. It's like the crowdfunded projects that gave early bird discounts to early supporters.

If FSD truly materialized, it would make owning a car like owning a horse: Something that would be nice to have for some people who like that sort of thing, and is expensive and relatively inconvenient. Elon said Tesla would stop selling cars at consumer prices once FSD was solved. It would be more lucrative for them to put their cars into a robo taxi fleet than to sell them at consumer prices. I don't know if they'll do that after the $25k car idea.

Anyway, the point is to consider that there will be a paradigm shift so that the considerations that you thought were important wouldn't matter. Unaffordable FSD is moot if most people didn't even own cars. Those who own cars could rent them out to help with the expenses, like some people rent out rooms to help with their expenses.
  • @synthesis2

Sounds like you should have waited for the $25k model with FSD due out in a year or three.
  • FSD is marketing and vaporware. It is still in "beta", so it's not finished and not really a product yet. Five plus years in "beta" and now the price of a Rolex GMT Master II and it's not a release version. It IS a great revenue producer for the company because they can turn it off when the car is sold or if they just decide they don't like you and make the next schmuck pay again. So, would you pay 10k for a Rolex if told that it's a new design, in beta, expect problems, it won't always work right, strap your Apple watch on your arm too as a backup? Based on FSD, some would but Rolex doesn't work that way. Oh yeah, the Rolex won't vanish unless someone steals it and you'll be able to sell it on if you want. FSD is nothing more than a cash cow for Tesla and all they have to do is keep tantalizing owners with it so they will feel their cars are incomplete without it. That's another stroke of genius! With a Model 3, this is 20-25% of the car's purchase price, folks. If you have that kind of money to throw away on a "beta", good for you and spend it any way you want.
  • because they can turn it off when the car is sold or if they just decide they don't like you and make the next schmuck pay again.

Tesla does not do this nor can they legally unless they buy the car. If they own the car they can do whatever they like.

Also, Tesla cannot realize the revenue until the promised features are delivered.
  • @narrenschiff

I'll let you know how that "FSD is marketing and vaporware. It is still in "beta", so it's not finished and not really a product yet." works out in a month or two.

Better yet, do a little research and listen to what some people that are actually using it right now have to say.
  • Miguzi , you crack me up , I’m not entitled to anything in life, no one is and self awareness is essential for one to know if they are or are not entitled . You reap what you sow and so on and so forth .

I get it buddy...

My point is that I wish it was more affordable , that’s all. I don’t think I deserve anything , I don’t think I have to have anything . Just posting for the remote chance anyone from Tesla ever looks at these forums they may gather some “thoughts “ about their consumers .

Entitlement ... joke
  • What Tesla looks at, as will any company, are the sales figures. People (the market) vote with their dollars.

I think paying $30,000 for a watch is absurd, yet there is a market for that.
  • I think buying cars that require the most expensive gasoline, "premium oil", and get horrible fuel economy is absurd. +1 about the watch.

FSD is going to seem as cheap now as Tesla stock was 9 months ago compared to a year or 2 from now.