Model S

MCU problem and "Autopilot Camera Unavailable"

I took delivery of my new model S less than two months ago. Within 3 weeks of delivery, my car shut down in the middle of road. It wouldn't drive at all, and my car had to be towed to the nearest service center. This experience left a really bad taste in my mouth. We had planned to take an 8-hour road trip the next day, imagine if this had happened in the middle of the road trip in the middle of nowhere! I am now very leery about driving the car long distance.

Turns out the MCU had to be replaced, the explanation was it was corrupted. On top of it, the bottom of the front bumper was scratched during the towing process, and a chrome piece on one of the vents is missing after service. Now I have to schedule an appointment to fix those things too.

2-3 weeks after the MCU problem got fixed, another problem cropped up. This time, it is "autopilot camera unavailable". I see that the right side camera does not work.

Am I just unlucky to have gotten a car with these two problems within two months of ownership? How prevalent is it to have the car just suddenly shutdown and become undrivable?

Thanks.

Comments

• When you say “new Model S” do you mean brand new or new to you? If not brand new, what year is it?

MCU failures are not uncommon for older MCU1 cars, but rare for newer MCU2 cars. Having the car completely die is pretty uncommon.

Regarding the camera, if rebooting doesn’t fix it, schedule another service appointment.
  • I had the "Camera Unavailable due to Weather" message last summer on a clear and sunny day. During Supercharging a bird pooped exactly on the camera location. Drove 160 miles to next stop stressing as to what happened to my brand new car only to see the problem. Open Trunk, grabbed my cleaning towels, scrubber/squeegy and problem solved. Occam's Razor or principal of parsimony?
  • @EVRider, +1 agree.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > When you say “new Model S” do you mean brand new or new to you? If not brand new, what year is it?
    >
    > MCU failures are not uncommon for older MCU1 cars, but rare for newer MCU2 cars. Having the car completely die is pretty uncommon.

It is brand new, delivered on 8/30. I asked the SC, and they said it has MCU2. OK, I guess I was just unlucky.

> @rickrparker_98305059 said:
    > I had the "Camera Unavailable due to Weather" message last summer on a clear and sunny day. During Supercharging a bird pooped exactly on the camera location. Drove 160 miles to next stop stressing as to what happened to my brand new car only to see the problem. Open Trunk, grabbed my cleaning towels, scrubber/squeegy and problem solved. Occam's Razor or principal of parsimony?

I cleaned the camera, and nothing is blocking it. The camera screen on LCD shows a spinning circle, like it is trying to connect.
  • Do you have a properly formatted USB thumb drive in? Did that work before this problem? I thought 3.0 was the standard version on new cars. My June 2019 came with 2.5 upgraded free to 3.0, but I got the FSD AP. Not sure if you paid up for the FSD but I don't think it is the issue. Maybe a service call sounds in order. I think I can speak for many about learning curve. It's a great car and certainly different process flow. Enjoy.
  • @rickrparker_98305059 - The AP computer version (currently HW3) is unrelated to the MCU version, which is currently MCU2. The two issues reported by the OP are not impacted by the USB drive, so that's not a factor.
  • Thanks all for the responses.