General

What can one do with a VIN#

Over the years and it's not just here, I see people constantly avoiding posting their VIN. Hell people will go so far as posting the last 6 digits, but then "X" out the last 4. For example they will post "23XXXX".

Why? Anyone and I mean anyone with eyeballs can see your VIN through the windshield, right along with the make, model, color and license plate. What are people afraid off?

Comments

• Give me your VIN and I can identify who you are(well owner of the car) and where you live. Doing so may or may not be illegal depending on various circumstances.
  • >>> Give me your VIN and I can identify who you are(well owner of the car) and where you live.
    Well, perhaps better stated as "...I might be able to identify who you are, depending on how much time and money I'm willing to devote to the effort...".

Many people are simply wary of posting personal information on the internets, because it's really no longer clear what is or isn't public/private, what is or isn't a gateway to link more information together. After reading a couple of doxxing threads, where the amateur sleuths who are heavily into this kind of thing piece together bits of tiny disparate information to build up a full dossier, I've realized that there's no reason to hide this kind of information because if someone is intent on using it, they'll do so, and if they aren't dedicated they can't.

Personally, I don't care if people know what the serial number is of my car; I hide other information in the VIN just to mess with people: 5YJ3E1-A6JF016728.
  • > @Frank99 said:
    > >>> Give me your VIN and I can identify who you are(well owner of the car) and where you live.
    > Well, perhaps better stated as "...I might be able to identify who you are, depending on how much time and money I'm willing to devote to the effort...".
    >
    > Many people are simply wary of posting personal information on the internets, because it's really no longer clear what is or isn't public/private, what is or isn't a gateway to link more information together. After reading a couple of doxxing threads, where the amateur sleuths who are heavily into this kind of thing piece together bits of tiny disparate information to build up a full dossier, I've realized that there's no reason to hide this kind of information because if someone is intent on using it, they'll do so, and if they aren't dedicated they can't.
    >
    > Personally, I don't care if people know what the serial number is of my car; I hide other information in the VIN just to mess with people: 5YJ3E1-A6JF016728.

I just don't know what hackers can do with information these days, maybe a VIN is all they need to hack your car and steal your tesla???
  • Ooh, that’d be neat. Remotely hack the Tesla, start it, then Summon it to the chop shop.
    Good thing I carry insurance.
  • People do that with just about anything online. I've seen it with high-end Swiss watches, guitars, computers, firearms and car/motorcycle VINs, license plates - you name it. One rationale I've heard is that some nut job can report the item stolen and claim they're the rightful owner. I can't imagine that is plausible, especially since you can easily grab any serial number, license plate etc. from any car in any lot. Many car dealers tell you the VIN and provide a carfax on it.

Otherwise, there's a feeling in this day and age that knowledge is power and the more data you share, the more at risk you are.
  • what a bunch of malarky
    personal information is easily obtained and all but protected.
    Heck - it's easier to hid in a crowd than in a field
    proof...
    MY Social Security Number is 078-05-1120 - knock yourselves out
  • reading the VIN off my car may let you know who I am, but it doesn't identify who I am to people on this forum.
  • Derotam, the last 6 positions of my VIN are P32897. Run with it.
  • Someone wants some attention.
  • @Frank99

And from all that information you provided I can see that your name is.... Frank.. ROFL! Your right there can be a time expense to looking up information if you can even do it for a certain state/jurisdiction.

@Cousin_Eddie
    So you were born in New York eh? Other than that, I don't need a SSN for someone 82-100 years old. haha.

@jordanrichard_629778
    Sorry you missed the point.
  • ...and FYI, just because you(anyone) doesn't believe that someone can do something doesn't mean it isn't true. I don't have to, nor was I intending on looking up anything, mainly because in a lot of circumstances(but not all), actually looking up driver information is illegal.

Jordanrichard asked "what are people afraid of?" Well most people don't even know what they are afraid of cause they don't know what is possible, and what you don't know to be afraid of is what you REALLY should be afraid of, but you'd never know it, haha.
  • My point is what is the difference between posting a VIN on line vs anyone walking up to your car and getting the same info? I could walk up to any car, take a picture of the VIN and post it on line.
  • > @derotam said:
    > @Frank99
    > @Cousin_Eddie
    > So you were born in New York eh? Other than that, I don't need a SSN for someone 82-100 years old. haha.
    >

Who you calling 'old' - [grin]

Remember -
    "You can always believe what you read on the internet"
    -Abraham Lincoln
  • > @Cousin_Eddie said:
    > > @derotam said:
    > > @Frank99
    > ...
    > > @Cousin_Eddie
    > > So you were born in New York eh? Other than that, I don't need a SSN for someone 82-100 years old. haha.
    > ...
    > >
    >
    > Who you calling 'old' - [grin]
    >
    >
    >
    > Remember -
    > "You can always believe what you read on the internet"
    > -Abraham Lincoln
    >
    >

Hey, just passing on data put out by the SSA and your birth state. Though the age range may or may not have been wrong from my source. It is wrong on birth year for my SSN.
  • "My point is what is the difference between posting a VIN on line vs anyone walking up to your car and getting the same info? I could walk up to any car, take a picture of the VIN and post it on line"

And I explained that posting it here can tie your identity to your user name here, which taking a random VIN in a parking lot can't do.
  • ...and if your an a-hole online and you post your VIN, someone could want to seek retribution in someway. Good reason not to be an a-hole online.
  • You don't have to be an a-hole. I wouldn't want entities like fish or howie to know anything about me personally.
  • And I don't think Fish or Howard would want people to know about them.
  • We know quite a bit about Fish. There was a bit of doxxing that went on a few years ago when he was EaglesPDX, before it was generally agreed that wasn’t such a good idea.
  • Well since fishev claims he is not eaglesPDX, and never was eaglesPDX,(not sure about the second part of that) I wonder if he would object to that info being re-shared?
  • Who said doxxing a troll was a bad idea?