Model 3

Cold car, app suddenly not connecting and cannot turn on heat in winter

After the last couple of updates, my M3 has stopped responding to the app, e.g. won't wake up. Spinning "waking up" gives more frustration than help - and it is disappointing to lost one of the features that factored into our decision.

Yes, I can unlock with a beep - not something I want given proximity to a bedroom.

When will Tesla fix this?

Comments

• Sounds like a network problem. Does your car have a strong WiFI connection?
  • Did you reboot your phone? That fixed it for me recently on a trip when the phone stopped being recognized.
  • It's an annoying, recurring problem that takes five minutes to fix. I wish Tesla would track it down and eliminate it.
    1. Tell your phone to forget the Tesla connection.
    2. Tell your Tesla to forget the phone.
    3. Reboot both Tesla and Phone.
    4. Reconnect the phone to the Tesla.

Everything should work after this.
  • A simple thing to try first is to log off the app and back on; that cleared up a couple events of this nature for me. If that doesn’t work, the forget-unpair, etc. route may be needed. Good luck!
  • I’ve never had this happen. It was 12F this AM here. Have an iPhone and LR AWD with the Tesla cell connection (whatever it’s called) subscription.
  • This happens on our 2018 M3 often, but never on our 2015 MS. It happens on both phones, so I don't think the phone is the issue. The WIFI signal strength is strong in the garage. We have a fairly old Apple Airport Express router to extend the signal in the garage. I suspect the WIFI antenna on the M3 just does not like communicating with the older router. It is quite frustrating in winter when we want to pre-warm the M3, but the app just spins endlessly.
  • Would it be better to leave it on Tesla's native cellular system vs. house Wifi? My car is too far away to access house Wifi so it is always on Tesla's ATT cellular and, while slow at times, connects and has not had issues above.

Don't log on to house Wifi and see if the app works better with car on its ATT cell network.

The only time it does have issues is on Wifi for the updates and then it is very hard to get it to accept any Wifi signal. I have to go park under the local ATT cell tower to get the Wifi tethering of the phone to work. Often have to reboot the car to get it to pick up the signal.
  • “ then it is very hard to get it to accept any Wifi signal. I have to go park under the local ATT cell tower to get the Wifi tethering of the phone to work.”

Once again, connecting the car to your WIFI hotspot has nothing to do with your phones connection to LTE.
  • Still curious what kind of dwelling allows for a full private solar array on roof like a single family home but has detached garage parking for 6 like an apartment, but that parking garage is somehow on federal land. What Venn diagram allows for that?
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > Still curious what kind of dwelling allows for a full private solar array on roof like a single family home but has detached garage parking for 6 like an apartment, but that parking garage is somehow on federal land. What Venn diagram allows for that?

You forgot the part where the EV charging is allowed on Ford forums, but not on Tesla forums.
  • "You forgot the part where the EV charging is allowed on Ford forums, but not on Tesla forums."

There's a ford forum? lol

He was also petitioning the city to open it up as a public charging stand during the day? Or was is it at night? So many questions.....
  • > @bjrosen said:
    > Sounds like a network problem. Does your car have a strong WiFI connection?

Thanks for the response, but no, not a network problem. As mentioned, worked just fine for a year, then two updates ago, not. No change in home Wifi at all. It's for Tesla to fix, hopefully with an update that replicates what already was!> @Bighorn said:
    > Did you reboot your phone? That fixed it for me recently on a trip when the phone stopped being recognized.

> @Bighorn said:
    > Did you reboot your phone? That fixed it for me recently on a trip when the phone stopped being recognized.
  • > @kmadvisor said:
    > > @bjrosen said:
    > > Sounds like a network problem. Does your car have a strong WiFI connection?
    >
    > Thanks for the response, but no, not a network problem. As mentioned, worked just fine for a year, then two updates ago, not. No change in home Wifi at all. It's for Tesla to fix, hopefully with an update that replicates what already was!> @Bighorn said:
    > > Did you reboot your phone? That fixed it for me recently on a trip when the phone stopped being recognized.
    >
    > > @Bighorn said:
    > > Did you reboot your phone? That fixed it for me recently on a trip when the phone stopped being recognized.
    >
    >

Thx @bighorn ... yes, have booted the phone, the car, turned BT on and off, etc. Yes, you can get it rolling again. Point is, it was working fine, then not. What most owners need is to be able to open the app, turn on the climate, finish a coffee and head out to a warm car with clear windshields. What some are getting is an endless spinning to "wakeup" that eventually--not immediately--permits unlocking the car so as to get things rolling. By then, it's a cold car, obscured windows, and delayed departure.
  • 3 blizzards into our 8th Wyoming winter with Teslas, so I appreciate the implications. Glitches arise here and there. Most resolve spontaneously. More reliable than my Apple products, overall. Comes with the territory of driving a computer on wheels. Trumps all other vehicles where convenience is concerned and it gets better every year.
  • Been experiencing phone not unlocking car - but connected! And garage door not auto closing. Two steps forward and one back. Engineers - if it’s not broken - break it.
  • > @kmadvisor said:
    > After the last couple of updates, my M3 has stopped responding to the app, e.g. won't wake up."
    mine has the exactly same problem, yes, "After the last couple of updates", 2018 LR AWD HW3 FSD. Wifi routers always 10 feet nearby.
  • @Atoms "Two steps forward one step back" was on my mind as I wrote. It's especially pertinent with firmware updates. It's obviously very risky that something gets undone when trying to improve something else.
  • I've found the solution is "always Plug-in".