General

Texas resident, can I buy Tesla from other state

I live in Texas, can I buy tesla through Tesla financing in some other state?

Comments

• Not sure exactly what you're asking, but if you're buying from "inventory", Tesla will show you matching vehicles regardless of where they are. If they're within a few states, they won't charge you to move it for delivery. I live in NJ and was considering two cars (one in NY and one in DC) and when I priced it out online, neither triggered a relocation fee.
  • Tesla is not allowed to sell vehicles in Texas.

But that hasn't stopped us from buying two Model S and one Model X - in Texas.

If you live in Texas, orders are placed online (Tesla staff in Texas can't take an order). The vehicle is transported to the nearest Service Center.

When it's time for delivery, you are required to pay for the vehicle electronically before Tesla will be able to release the vehicle. You can't make the electronic payment while you are at a Tesla facility, so you can do it either prior to arriving - or after inspecting the vehicle, you can step outside and make the payment.

Sales tax is paid in Texas as part of the registration process to get your license plates.

The delivery for our first Model S in January 2013 was challenging because the nearest Service Center was in Denver, over 1000 miles away. Delivery of our 2017 and 2018 vehicles was much smoother, and other than making the electronic payment before we arrived at the Service Center, the purchase and delivery process was pretty easy.
  • Good and helpful info @bp!

+1
  • Any the will not say delivery in states that don't allow... they kept correcting me that its a "Pick Up"
  • Tesla can not sell cars in VA either. All EV sales banned. Not one non-Tesla EV even available for test drive.

Please consider writing your legislature to help change these antiquated laws.
  • > @vi9cki said:
    > Tesla can not sell cars in VA either. All EV sales banned. Not one non-Tesla EV even available for test drive.
    >
    > Please consider writing your legislature to help change these antiquated laws.

I don’t think that’s true. What’s your source?
  • > @EVRider said:
    > > @vi9cki said:
    > > Tesla can not sell cars in VA either. All EV sales banned. Not one non-Tesla EV even available for test drive.
    > >
    > > Please consider writing your legislature to help change these antiquated laws.
    >
    > I don’t think that’s true. What’s your source?

I am wrong. Every sales person we spoke to at Toyota, Hyundai, Honda, and Nissan told us that was the case here. I knew there were some states where you really can not purchase a Tesla in state and assumed VA was one of them. We truly can not participate in the referral program because of state and local laws, per an email directly from Tesla. I am a fool for falling for other people's answers and not researching the question properly. I wrote to every VA legislator complaining about antiquated laws and that VA should be doing more to promote cleaner cars. Now I'm afraid they won't take the legitimate parts and concerns seriously. What a fool I am. But if there were other EVs available in VA I probably would not be getting a Tesla, my dream car. Again, please accept my apology for posting inaccurate, not well researched information. And thank you for being kind when you called me out.
  • Tesla CAN sell cars in Texas. They just route the paperwork through Nevada. They have showrooms for test drives and the service center for delivering.

I had an awesome experience buying my Tesla and trading in my BMW. I ordered off the web just like everybody from other states. They gave me a 2 week delivery date. It arrived in 1 week. I optioned to pick it up at the service center on Saturday instead of waiting until Monday to have it delivered to the house.

The paperwork was routed through Nevada. It was all done via FedEx. Who cares where the paperwork goes. Oh, Tesla also gave me the paper plates and handled the registration with the local DMV.

From a buyers perspective, there is absolutely no difference buying a Tesla in Texas vs any other state.

Oh, and my local electric company has a program that lets you charge at any Chargepoint charger in the city for only $50/yr. My work has charge point so my fuel costs are extremely low.
  • Wow, $50 a year to charge. We used to budget $50 a month for premium gas. We also paid a premium for the location that allowed us to keep fuel costs low.