Model 3

Glove Compartment won't open!

My car just came back from service center yesterday. This morning the glove compartment would not open.
- The car is not on valet mode
- I rebooted already
- There is a clicking sound when I press the open button
- I pushed and pulled on the box while pressing the botton.

???

Comments

• Service center here you come
  • What did you have done at the service center?
  • Same results with the voice command: Open glove box?
  • You didn't set a passcode for the glovebox?
  • > @derotam said:
    > What did you have done at the service center?

So I got autopilot on my car and after a month when they sent a new software upgrade the Autopilot stopped working. So after few times and upgrade I had to take it back to the service center and they replaced some computer. FYI my warranty expired lol> @NorthValley said:
    > You didn't set a passcode for the glovebox?

> @NorthValley said:

> @NorthValley said:
  • > @mazers said:
    > Same results with the voice command: Open glove box?
    >

I did not try that. Ill try that.
  • > @SunnyG said:
    > > @derotam said:
    > > What did you have done at the service center?
    >
    > So I got autopilot on my car and after a month when they sent a new software upgrade the Autopilot stopped working. So after few times and upgrade I had to take it back to the service center and they replaced some computer. FYI my warranty expired lol> @NorthValley said:
    > > You didn't set a passcode for the glovebox?
    >
    > > @NorthValley said:
    >
    > > @NorthValley said:
    > No. I tried setting it up and it didn't open with that as well.
    >
  • They likely pulled and replaced your FSD computer. In doing so, they likely removed the glovebox. The odd thing is if you hear the clicking sound, that is the solenoid working. Perhaps its getting jammed. Lookup on youtube the video "How you manually open the Tesla model 3 glove box".
  • If you had HW3 installed, they have to pull the glove box to get at the computer.
    In early days, jammed glove boxes arose from contents pressing on the door.
  • @SunnyG

Yeah so I just had the FSD computer installed by a mobile tech the other day. He mentioned the glovebox is one of the things he ALWAYS checks after putting everything back together to make sure it got put in and hooked up properly. He said it can be easy for a tech to not get it back in correctly. He also checked the window operation and I think some interior lights.
  • > @"kvn.wong2_98267422" said:
    > They likely pulled and replaced your FSD computer. In doing so, they likely removed the glovebox. The odd thing is if you hear the clicking sound, that is the solenoid working. Perhaps its getting jammed. Lookup on youtube the video "How you manually open the Tesla model 3 glove box".

Thanks Ill try youtube
  • So I used the you tube link to open the box and the box opened. When I closed it and tried opening it with the dash button, it did not work. I guess i have to go to the Dealer. Thanks for all the help and advice.
    Thanks
  • Give compartment won’t open - schedule service. Horn won’t blow - schedule service, seat won’t move - schedule service, charge port won’t close - schedule service. Whatever is wrong - schedule service. If it is an immediate issue - schedule roadside assistance if car does not move.
  • @Atoms

Maybe some folks want to fix minor things themselves, maybe some folks don’t want to pay for a service call should Tesla say the box was jammed because of content, maybe COVID is driving folks to not want someone else touching their car. Isn’t this forum supposed to be about helping folks and trading experiences?
  • If your car just came back from service and they likely caused the jammed glovebox door, then there’s no reason they won’t fix the issue free it charge. Contact service via app.
  • When the FSD computer was installed in my car, the tech checked the operation of the glovebox before releasing the car to me. It did not work and made a clicking sound. Apparently it is possible to swap connectors between it and something in the audio system. Trying to open the glovebox makes a clicking sound come from the speakers.

Having said that, it was quite some time ago the change out was done so I suspect it would be a standard check when doing the work.