Model 3

Left home at 41%, was on 0% in 80 miles

This is getting ridiculous. My 2020 Model 3 is getting no where near the range as advertised. It died on me 10 miles from home and I had to get it towed. I drove 55 mph most of the way btw because I was stressing about my energy. I can’t ever enjoy my car and just drive 80. Not happy w my purchase

Comments

• Lol next
  • you referred to 80 in your headline as a distance, and then in your body you referred to 80 as your speed.

Seems Legit.

Abuse
  • I'll give you tree fiddy for your car
  • Is it hard for you to distinguish between mph and miles andyconnor?
  • Idiot for buying a Tesla? Ya probably so
  • > @bud_2005 said:
    > Is it hard for you to distinguish between mph and miles andyconnor?

Its very hard for me to understand the correlation between your headline and body;
    41% to 0% in 80 miles, when you state you only drove 10 miles.

Seems Legit
  • @bud_2005

Well since you didn't just flyby post, I have some questions for you...

Do you have a LR or SR+?
    What was your Wh/mile average for the trip?
    What was the temperature outside, were you using heat?
    Where are you, USA(region), UK...?
    Were you going through mountains?
  • It is not the advertised range, it is the rated range. The range is determined by independent testing. If you are not achieving the rated range, then you are driving less efficiently than was demonstrated in testing. Your screed did not provide any useful information to determine the issue.
  • Nah, he said his car died 10 miles away from home. But he is still idiot.
  • Not enough information. What were the outside and inside temps? Was HVAC in use (especially the heater)? What size tires? Was there an elevation change between destinations? Was it raining? Were there significant winds? Was it a single drive, or were there stops along the way? If there were stops, was Sentry used?

All of these (and more) are factors in energy usage. I'd suggest reading your manual, as there are a number of tips on getting better range listed there.
  • Driving Tips to Maximize Range
    You can maximize your driving range using the same driving habits you use to conserve fuel in a gasoline-powered vehicle. In addition to driving habits, energy consumption depends on environmental conditions (such as exceptionally cold or hot weather and driving on roads with steep hills).

To achieve maximum range:
    • Slow down your driving and avoid frequent and rapid acceleration. Consider using Chill Mode (see Controls on page 136) and Speed Assist (see Speed Assist on page 134) to assist in controlling your acceleration and speed.
    • If safe to do so, modulate the accelerator pedal instead of using the brake pedal when gradually slowing down. Whenever Model 3 is moving and you are not pressing the accelerator pedal, regenerative braking slows down Model 3 and feeds surplus energy back to the Battery (see Regenerative Braking on page 69).
    • Set Stopping Mode to HOLD to gain the benefit of regenerative braking at low driving speeds (see Stopping Mode on page 70).
    • Keep tires at the recommended inflation pressures (see Tire Care and Maintenance on page 188), ensure tire alignment is within specification, and tires are rotated when needed. Rotating tires will reduce uneven tread wear, increasing your vehicle's efficiency (see Maintenance Schedule on page 186).
    • Lighten your load by removing any unnecessary cargo.
    • Fully raise all windows.
    • Limit the use of resources such as heating, lights, and air conditioning. Using seat heaters to keep warm is more efficient than heating the cabin using climate controls.
    • Precondition the vehicle while it is plugged in to ensure the cabin is at a comfortable temperature and windows are defrosted (if needed) before your drive. Use the mobile app to precondition your vehicle by touching Climate > Turn On Climate and customizing your preferences (see Mobile App on page 174).
    • Features such as Sentry Mode, Headlights After Exit, and Cabin Overheat Protection can impact range. Disable features that are not needed.
    • To prevent an excessive amount of energy consumption while the vehicle is idle, keep the vehicle plugged in when not in use.
    • Minimize the use of DC chargers (such as superchargers) for optimal Battery health. The power meter on the touchscreen and the Energy app (see Energy App on page 80) provides feedback on energy usage. With this feedback, you can become familiar with how driving habits and environmental conditions impact how much energy Model 3 is using.

Factors Affecting Energy Consumption Several factors can affect your vehicle's rate of energy consumption, including:
    • Uphill travel: Driving uphill requires more energy and depletes range at a faster rate. However, driving downhill allows your vehicle to regain a portion of its expended energy through regenerative braking (see Regenerative Braking on page 69).
    • Customized settings: Energy is consumed by accessories like lights, heating and cooling, media player, Sentry Mode, etc.
    • Short trips: It takes energy to bring the cabin and Battery to a specified temperature when starting the vehicle. You may see a higher average consumption when the vehicle is used for very short trips while climate controls are enabled.
    • Temperature and weather conditions: In colder weather, precondition the vehicle before driving (see Cold Weather Best Practices on page 86).
  • I am interested in how someone's Tesla used 41% battery over 10 miles. Maybe its the 50kW preconditioner?
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > I am interested in how someone's Tesla used 41% battery over 10 miles. Maybe its the 50kW preconditioner?

Andy, re read what he said. I know it's hard but do it anyway ;)
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > I am interested in how someone's Tesla used 41% battery over 10 miles. Maybe its the 50kW preconditioner?

I believe you are misunderstanding. He meant he had 10 miles left to go before getting home -- not that he drove 10 miles.
  • Andy?? Seriously lol?????
    I drove 80 MILES. Not 10. Learn to read
  • > @hokiegir1 said:
    > > @andy_connor_e said:
    > > I am interested in how someone's Tesla used 41% battery over 10 miles. Maybe its the 50kW preconditioner?
    >
    > I believe you are misunderstanding. He meant he had 10 miles left to go before getting home -- not that he drove 10 miles.

No kogiegir1, OP indicated:

"Left home at 41%"
    "It died on me 10 miles from home"

Left the house at 41%, and died 10 miles from the house. Traveled 10 miles.
  • @bud_2005

Can OP clarify this is the truth? Otherwise its a simple typo and they traveled 70 miles which honestly would make a little more sense.
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    >
    > No kogiegir1, OP indicated:
    >
    > "Left home at 41%"
    > "It died on me 10 miles from home"
    >
    > Left the house at 41%, and died 10 miles from the house. Traveled 10 miles.

Left home at 41%, drove 80 miles -- had 90 for a round trip to home, so it died 10 miles away.
  • > @bud_2005 said:
    > Is it hard for you to distinguish between mph and miles andyconnor?

Yeah, this title and post is clear. This owner wants to be able to go 80 miles but only got 10 miles out of their car while traveling at 55 miles per hour.

Anyway, cold outside weather and running the heat will drain the battery faster than normal but you'll want to have it in Service asap.
  • > @hokiegir1 said:
    > Left home at 41%, drove 80 miles -- had 90 for a round trip to home, so it died 10 miles away.

Wow I see that now.
  • > @bud_2005 said:
    > Andy?? Seriously lol?????
    > I drove 80 MILES. Not 10. Learn to read

I see that now. Didnt realize it was an out and back trip. Leaving home and miles from home did not make sense.
  • So to summarize. He is still idiot.
  • I drove 80 miles. I had a 90 mile round trip. I had to park my car alongside the interstate 10 miles from
    home and the battery was at 0%. Temp was 30 degrees Cost me $225 for a tow. No hills. My car is charged now in my garage. It says the projected range is 179 miles. That’s way lower than 322😥😥😥
  • > @bud_2005 said:
    > I drove 80 miles. I had a 90 mile round trip. I had to park my car alongside the interstate 10 miles from
    > home and the battery was at 0%. Temp was 30 degrees Cost me $225 for a tow. No hills. My car is charged now in my garage. It says the projected range is 179 miles. That’s way lower than 322😥😥😥

Sub -freezing temps will do that. Generally, one can expect a 25-50% range reduction in winter between a cold-soaked battery and heater usage.