Model 3

Rim repair vs. Replace for 18" standard wheels.

I suspect a bent rim on one of my wheels.

Before I check anywhere else, I want to see if anyone on the forum has done cost based research on rim repair vs replace.

My wheels are the standard 18inchers (if that matters).

Thank you.

Comments

• Tesla charged me $350 for new wheel when mine bent going over low curb. They advised against trying to repair bent wheel.
  • Anyone else?
  • I have had some wheel rash from some curbing and I just used this to touch them up. Works well and is a perfect match. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HE66OK8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • I incurred some curb rash on my former Land Rover. A local wheel repair shop did a repair for about $100-$125 and it came out perfectly. I was unable to even tell where the rash had been. Just Google "alloy wheel repair" and you'll likely find a couple places.
  • bent rim and curb rash are two way different things
  • > @stacok_98279004 said:
    > bent rim and curb rash are two way different things

Oops! You're quite right! I failed to be properly attentive and thought I was replying to another post from the other day about rash. Just read the headline and not the body of the message. Thanks for setting me straight.
  • I got some scraped rims. After some internet research, I found people saying that the best thing to do was get some sand paper to smooth it out first, then get the correct kind of paint to touch it up, but use at least 4 coats of the paint. That's all I remember. I actually haven't done it yet.
  • Standard 18” rims are a steal at less than $230. I bought one and picked it up and had it mounted. Saved for the first tire change out and will then have a spare.
  • > @"Joe M" said:
    > Standard 18” rims are a steal at less than $230. I bought one and picked it up and had it mounted. Saved for the first tire change out and will then have a spare.

Good idea. Thank you!