Model 3

Tesla Model 3 Clearance - Bottom Scraping

My driveway has a slight "hill" when entering and it scrapes the bottom. Because of this, it makes it difficult to park in my driveway. I believe it needs about 2 inches or so to be able to fully clear. Has anyone encountered this problem and can provide some potential solutions? I thought about raising it or maybe there is some kind of driveway kit? Thanks!

Comments

• Do you have a performance model? I believe the sit a little lower.
  • The easiest way is to install something like a hump inside the garage that lifts the wheels high enough to clear the edge.

You will have to determine the best position and best height.

The first set of wheels can roll over the hump and descend to normal ground level, once the second set of wheels is close and high enough.

You can first build something from wood for testing, then have something more durable installed.

Of course this would work just as well outside, in front of the garage, but then you would have the construction always visible.
  • I find entering/exiting steep driveways at a slight angle rather than head-on tends to help with some scraping, but I'm sure that depends on a number of factors.
  • I try to avoid very steep break away bc we have scraped it to many times already.
  • My problem also. Go very slow and at an angle. Finding the sweet spot is tough and getting it right going in forward vs backing out is a challenge. Sometimes I scrape the front going in and the back going out. My apron is slightly too steep where it meets the sidewalk that it crosses.

It would be super-cool if the suspension was adjustable and tied to location, like the HomeLink. It raises when you approach your driveway and lowers when you get up to speed.
  • > @DaveG_NJ said:

> It would be super-cool if the suspension was adjustable and tied to location, like the HomeLink. It raises when you approach your driveway and lowers when you get up to speed.

Might I introduce you to the Model X, and I believe some Model S versions? ;)
  • Maybe a couple of little piles of gravel in the right place would do it.
  • I had my whole driveway entrance redone when I used to drive a Peugeot RCZ-R in Europe. That baby scraped all the time at any angle!

Cant you get rubber mats that diminish the angle? Im sure I saw those somewhere...
  • Or get a Model Y.
  • Does the Model Y have much more clearance?
  • "I believe it needs about 2 inches or so to be able to fully clear"

You think the car needs to be 2 inches higher to clear? How are you even able to get in without completely highsiding it?

This kit will give you 1.75" lift

https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/?s=lift+kit
  • @hokiegir1, get a Model X … my thought exactly.
    Our Model 3s are prone to bottoming out. Extra caution is often required but the clearance disappears on occasion when least expected.
  • What size tires do you have?
  • I like what Hal wrote. What size tires do you have? If you are on 18-inch rims, you may have the option of going to 20-inch rims and gain the two inches. Of course, this means four new or used set of rims and 4 new or slightly used tires. Also as the tires wear down you may need to take note of how close the clearance is. This may not be an inexpensive move but may be one of the easier solutions. One way to try this out is if you have a friend with the 20-inch tires, let him do a test drive on your driveway for you with his car and you will know if that is a potential solution.
  • “ If you are on 18-inch rims, you may have the option of going to 20-inch rims and gain the two inches.”

No, you can’t significantly increase rolling diameter. 20” wheels will need lower profile tires. And the car height only raises the radius, not the diameter.

The lift kit I linked is the proper way to lift a Tesla.
  • @rjriker_98296789
    Rim diameter doesn’t change wheel height. 18, 19, and 20 inch wheel options all have the same diameter.
  • Thanks for the education on tire sizes!!
  • > @wayne47 said:
    > Does the Model Y have much more clearance?

On the LR AWD versions, the 3 has 5.5 inches and the Y has 6.6 inches of ground clearance.
  • I lowered my car 1.5" and rarely have a problem scraping. If I notice a steep incline on a driveway or parking lot entrance I'll come in at an angle. Even so, the most likely problem is cosmetic on the bottom plastic pieces, no actual damage to the structure of the car.
  • Did I read correctly? I found a doc (not by Tesla) that says the ground clearance of the 2021 M3 is 8" where the 2020 is 6".
  • That’s not correct, regardless
  • How could you think it was?
  • Google “Tesla 2021 model 3 ground clearance”. The chart that comes up On top says 8” so more than one site has it wrong.