Model S

EPA Sticker Does Not Add Up (surprised?)

For a 2020 Tesla S Long Range Plus, the EPA sticker shows a range of 402 miles and a consumption of 29 kWh/100 miles. Since the Tesla has a 100 kW battery, 100 kW / 29 kWh * 100 = 345 miles, not 402. Any thoughts?

Comments

• You should read up on the subject. Thousands of posts are out there already. The answer is obvious.
  • Care to share!
  • OP, you are not factoring in re-gen.
  • Three points.

100 kWh is not the true capacity.
    29 kWh includes charging losses from the wall to the wheel.
    Regeneration is not a factor.

Suppose charging is 85% efficient. 29 kWh delivers 24.65 kWh.

Enough help?
  • That almost seams like Tesla isn't giving the customers the true information if your 3 points are accurate. The 3rd one you say "suppose charging is 85% efficient". Why wouldn't charging be 100% accurate? I do know and agree that the 100 kWh battery does not allow the whole capacity to be used but that still doesn't explain the figures that the OP pointed out. Seams like there's no way to get 402 miles out of the battery.
  • You can get 700 miles out of the battery depending on how you drive. The Monroney sticker dictates how the energy costs are calculated. If there are frictional losses associated with charging the car, you can’t ignore that. The EPA dictates how the range figure is derived. The battery is actually thought to be greater than 100 kWh. They don’t reveal how much is available for locomotion. It’s moot because the 402 is derived on a dyno, not with a calculator. It obviously leads to some confusion when people don’t understand what they’re looking at.
  • Well, I am sure Tesla hasn't change the way they come up with their stated range and my car when it was new in 2014, got exactly what was stated, 265 miles.
  • Common core math...
  • > @tldickerson said:
    > The 3rd one you say "suppose charging is 85% efficient". Why wouldn't charging be 100% accurate?

There are energy losses associated with converting 240v AC to 400V DC as well as with battery temperature management. EPA figures in those losses, not all of the energy coming from the wall makes it into the battery.
  • OK, got to the bottom of it.

The 117 miles is the actual EPA dyno test in which the car is given 33.7 kW of power and then they see how far it can go, per testing procedures. This is a "battery to wheels" test.

That 29kW/100 miles figure is a "wall to wheels" test, which includes power lost in charging.
  • That’s what I said.
  • The truth...is out there...
  • > @Aerodyne said:
    > The truth...is out there...

So are some people...
  • Bighorn,

I did not understand the two measurement methods so your explanation did not make sense, It does not. But why do you suggest the S LRP does not have a 100 kWh capacity battery? All the documents I can find list a 100 kWh battery.
  • @ATPMSD Sorry I wasn't more clear. I did use the exact same verbiage of "wall to wheel" which was the crux of your misapprehension. And how the EPA uses dyno tests to calculate maximum range. The battery has been measured at slightly over 102 kWh I believe. In contradistinction to my P85+ which came with closer to 80 kWh. Recent testing suggests somewhere around 92-94 kWh are extractable for locomotion (on the Model X with the same battery). The number they put on the car suggesting battery size was for marketing purposes until they just went with Long Range Plus instead of 100D. They've never been exact figures.
  • For the OP, The biggest factor in actual range, besides weather, is your left foot. Year to date, I have averaged 288 Wh/mi.

With a 100D, I really would not worry about range on X country trips. I did it with an 85D, averaging 300ish.

Never went below 27%, nor above 93% on said trip.
  • Thanks to all!
  • Now, don't be like me and spend a year worrying about the battery.

Set it to energy display to percent, and just enjoy the car!