Model 3

Consumer Reports at it again. Supercruise better than Autopilot

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-autopilot-fails-vs-gm-super-cruise-consumer-reports/

Never tried supercuise, nor do I want to.

Comments

• edited October 28
    Waymo and Cruise are the only two companies testing actual autonomous driving. Tesla's "FSD", banned in Germany as misrepresentation, will likely always be limited to Tesla consumer vehicles.

“Delivery of goods is another huge market opportunity; we expect to pursue both of those in the not-too-distant future,” he said. “Once the technology has matured and proven to be effective at large scale, anything that’s on the road, driven today conventionally, is an opportunity.”

Waymo announced last week it will begin fully driverless rides for a select group of customers in Phoenix, Arizona."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-15/gm-s-cruise-unit-wins-permit-for-robotaxi-tests-in-san-francisco
  • Here's the link to the actual CR test report.

https://www.consumerreports.org/autonomous-driving/cadillac-tops-tesla-in-automated-systems-ranking/

"In Consumer Reports’ first-ever ranking of partially automated driving systems, Cadillac’s Super Cruise (shown above) was top-rated because our testing shows it does the best job of balancing high-tech capabilities with ensuring that the car is operated safely and that the driver is paying attention.

These systems offer driving convenience features that will be available on more vehicles in future model years. When engaged, they use cameras, radar, and other sensors—and sometimes even mapping data—to try to keep a car centered in a lane and control speed so that the car remains a set distance in traffic from vehicles in front.

CR experts stress that the systems are not intended to be self-driving features. However, in the right circumstances, such as on long highway drives or in stop-and-go traffic, they can help relieve driver fatigue and stress."
  • They are trying everything while the software update is still in beta. This has a finite lifespan like all other FUD.
  • Looks like CR is becoming “activist” about driver engagement monitoring. I think they are trying to shame Tesla into adding engagement monitoring. Ranking Tesla behind a GM product is definitely a transparent humiliation tactic, given that the Tesla product outperformed the GM product in all the meaningful categories by such a wide margin.
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > They are trying everything while the software update is still in beta. This has a finite lifespan like all other FUD.

There is that timeline quote again. Level 2 for the foreseeable future. Sure Tesla may be able to improve TACC and Auto Steer Assist to a level matching other manufactures with this next driver assistance beta release. Let sure hope so!!
  • timeline quote? You mean the statement that every FUD narrative produced eventually dies?
    its a matter of time and everyone is laughing.
  • > @howard_98305575 said:
    > > @andy_connor_e said:
    > > They are trying everything while the software update is still in beta. This has a finite lifespan like all other FUD.
    >
    > There is that timeline quote again. Level 2 for the foreseeable future. Sure Tesla may be able to improve TACC and Auto Steer Assist to a level matching other manufactures with this next driver assistance beta release. Let sure hope so!!

yesterday you said Tesla has best driver assist system Period.
  • > @Wilber said: > Yep, CR prioritizes safety for clueless drivers. "

Poor Teslerati, trapped in their own CR whipsaw backlash again. CR rates Tesla highly, Teslerati say CR wonderful. CR rates Tesla lower, Teslerati say CR has no credibility. Kind of defines hypocrisy.
  • Fish is known Tesla hater and troll since 2016.
  • I'm curious why en eye-monitoring system would have any sway in the ability of the car to handle road conditions? Why isn't this system included in EVERY car if it's so important for driver safety? The self-driving capabilities would actually reduce the need for a driver monitoring system, not be a subset of it. Considering Tesla's Autopilot ranked highest in ease of use and capability, it is clearly the better system. Especially when you consider that Supercruise is only available on about 5% of the US roadways while Autopilot is available on 95+%.
  • CR, like any other media outlet needs to stir the pot, be contrarian, etc just to stay relevant.
  • Seems CR doesn't like the lack of driver facing camera. I couldn't care less about that "feature". Supercruise also seems to need "pre-mapped" roads so it seems like selective measurements.
    Germany was silly cause they think "autopilot" means no driver attention is needed. Real aircraft autopilot requires pilot attention.
    Isn't Waymo killing pedestrians in AZ?
  • > @jnordland said: > I'm curious why en eye-monitoring system would have any sway in the ability of the car to handle road conditions?"

The driver monitoring via camera on driver is better than the tug on the wheel. I think Model 3's have a camera that looks at driver so Tesla can upgrade in future to the better tech.
  • Fun fun video reminder of the irrelevance and duplicity of CR
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RWvw_Er-aUs
  • Fun fun video reminder of the irrelevance and duplicity of CR
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RWvw_Er-aUs
  • And one more, because it never hurts to expose incompetence:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=se8WTK1Iyp8
  • Read the article. They top rate the functionality of FSD what they didn't like is the way Tesla judges attentiveness. SuperCruise uses eye tracking, Tesla uses steering wheel input. Tesla's mechanism sucks, CR isn't wrong about that. You have to give it small inputs to keep FSD engaged but if you give it too large movements it disengages. Don't know if SuperCruise is really any better. The problem with just doing eye tracking is that it doesn't ensure that your hands are on the wheel. If you have to take over you don't have time to move your hands so a Level 2 system that doesn't require your hands to be on the wheel is also unsafe.
  • "You have to give it small inputs to keep FSD engaged but if you give it too large movements it disengages. "

No you do not. You just have to keep one hand on the wheel with minimal pressure. The weight of my arm is plenty. I do not nudge or give any input to the wheel and it never nags or disengages. Try playing with one hand on the wheel letting the weight of your arm fall on the wheel.
  • > @jnordland said: > Does the interior camera change the ability of the car to adjust to traffic flow, maintain lane centering, merge with other vehicles, adjust speed as needed when rounding corners, adjust speed based on changing speed limits, stop at traffic lights, avoid obstacles or come to a stop in heavy stop & go traffic?"

Only on Tesla convertibles where it can see the road.

"Tesla convertible? Model Y roof flies off while owners drive down California highway"

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/5/21502379/tesla-modely-roof-flies-off-convertible-quality-issue

Otherwise it just watches driver for attentiveness vs. the older tech tug on the wheel which Tesla currently uses.

Camera means Tesla does (or did) plan on upgrading but has not done it yet.
  • How does NOT having your hands on the wheel make it safer? The best would be to have BOTH the camera AND the hands on the wheel. We all know that hands OFF the wheel mean playing with phone!! I prefer hands on wheel myself as I can take over in an instant. I would have preferred some kind of sensor strip on the wheel rather than weight of arm but its no biggie.