Model S

Gen3 Wall Charger - Faster charging for Model S Raven?

I have a 2020 Model S Raven, which according to the chart below should charge at the rates shown in the Tesla guide:
https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/support/home-charging-installation/wall-connector
According to the chart, I should get 37 km/hr and 46 km/hr, respectively.
But I actually get:
240 volts w/ 40 amp breaker = 45 km / hour
240 volts w/ 50 amp breaker = 55 km / hour

Can anyone explain why mine charges faster?

Comments

• In the USA, the chart is in miles/hour, but they appear to be for the original S. Many improvements have been made in efficiency over the years, and would directly apply to the charging rate. The more efficient the car the more miles/km would be added for the same amount of energy. So enjoy the faster charging!
  • Is it better to charge at a higher amp or lower amp? i see you can control the charging amps in the settings..the max i can go is 48amps but if i am not in a rush to charge is it better to drop down the amps and let us charge slow? or 48amps is fine?
    not sure which is better for battery health.
  • As far as I can tell, it makes zero difference for battery health. Originally it was thought that Supercharging, which is at least 10 times the power of your AC connection, would affect battery life, but that doesn't seem to be the case either.

Now it's harder to pin down the most efficient charge current. At very low levels (12 amps 120 VAC), there are system conversion inefficiencies. At the high-end, there are losses due to heat in the house wires and perhaps in the pack. My guess is these are under 5%, so it's not really that much of a concern. I normally charge at 240VAC and currents between 16 and 32 amps. I don't need the speed of charging, but it should be a tiny bit more efficient. During the summer I also move the charging time during peak solar production, so I cut it down to 16 amps and let it take 3-6 hours to charge.