General

Partial FSD as an option?

I’m looking into buying an M3. The fact is I like driving so I’m not that interested in buying into FSD. However, I would quite like the self-parking and smart summons feature only. Am I the only one who thinks like this or is it something others would like to see Tesla offer?

Comments

• Enhanced Autopilot is a great compromise. It takes care of the tedious activities. I don't know if it's currently available.
  • Currently, the only option is to purchase FSD. There are no a' la carte options and EAP is not currently being offered.
  • Enhanced autopilot was brought back in sept just for little while. just watch out if they offer it in the future. Otherwise Buying FSD is only option.
  • Tesla said they would be offering FSD on a monthly subscription basis, so you could wait until that’s available. For me personally, Auto Park and Summon are the least useful EAP/FSD features, but others like them. The current implementation of Smart Summon isn’t really robust enough for regular use.

You could also consider buying a slightly used Model 3 that already has EAP or FSD if those features are important to you.
  • I have never succeeded in getting autopark to work. Smart summon is good but it’s a gimmick
  • Autopark has worked only one time with me. Another time it backed in improperly and just froze for a few seconds before i just took over. But 90% of the time it wont even recognize the open spot and allow me to even use it.
  • I can get autopark to work the vast majority of the time when the requirements are met as described in the manual. You have to drive slowly and right next to the spot. People tend to drive too far away to trigger the option. The spot must be of sufficient size, be parallel or perpendicular, and have a vehicle parked on either side.
  • +1 stingray I had the same troubles screndo described until I changed my approach to what you described.
  • Ah! Thanks for your feedback on auto park and summons. I’d assumed they would work well. Thought it would be simple system to get working compared to FSD on busy roads. Guess I thought wrong! That’s why these forums can be so useful. Thanks everyone.
  • I think the lesson here is more - Autopark works fine once you know how to use it. This is from the manual:

When driving slowly on a public road, monitor the touchscreen to determine when Autopark has detected a parking space. When Autopark detects a potential parking space, the touchscreen displays a parking icon. Autopark detects parallel parking locations when driving below 15 mph (24 km/h) and perpendicular parking locations when driving below 10 mph (16 km/h).

The parking icon appears only if the vehicle's position and/or the circumstances of the surrounding area are such that Autopark can determine an appropriate driving path. If Autopark cannot determine an appropriate path (for example, when driving on a narrow street where moving into the parking space causes the front of the vehicle to extend into the adjacent lane), you can either reposition the vehicle, find a different parking space, or park manually.
    2. Check to determine if the detected parking space is appropriate and safe. If so, pull forward and stop approximately a car length ahead of the parking space (as you normally would when parallel parking or when backing into a perpendicular parking space).
    Release the steering wheel, shift Model Y into Reverse, then touch Start Autopark on the touchscreen.
    4. When parking is complete, Autopark displays the "Complete" message.
    In situations where Autopark cannot operate due to inadequate sensor data, the touchscreen displays a message indicating that you must manually park Model Y.
    NOTE: If you press the brake when Autopark is actively parking Model Y, the parking process pauses until you touch Resume on the touchscreen.
    NOTE: Autopark detects potential perpendicular parking spaces that are at least 9.5 feet (2.9 meters) wide with a vehicle parked on each side. Autopark detects parallel parking spaces that are at least 20 feet (6 meters), but less than 30 feet (9 meters) long. Autopark does not operate on angled parking spaces.

Limitations
    Autopark is particularly unlikely to operate as intended in these situations:
    • The road is sloped. Autopark is designed to operate on flat roads only.
    • Visibility is poor (due to heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.).
    • The curb is constructed of material other than stone, or the curb cannot be detected.
    • The target parking space is directly adjacent to a wall or pillar (for example, the last parking space of a row in an underground parking structure).
    • One or more of the ultrasonic sensors is damaged, dirty, or obstructed (such as by mud, ice, or snow).
    • Weather conditions (heavy rain, snow, fog, or extremely hot or cold temperatures) are interfering with sensor operation.
    • The sensors are affected by other electrical equipment or devices that generate ultrasonic waves.

The angled parking note is weird, pretty sure my AP1 S saw some weird angles.
  • It does work well. Just have to know how to use it.