Solar Panels

Have been waiting for 8 months and my Solar has still not been turned on.

I am not kidding but it has been 8 months since I ordered the Tesla solar panels for my home. 11.34 KW (large). Ordered in March 2020. Installation was completed in July 2020. Since then waiting for the permission to be turned on. It is now November and still waiting. Everything has been moving amazingly slow. First few months due to COVID lockdown, then last 3 months waiting on the permits. Anyone else planning to order, please keep this timeline in mind. Tesla says it is completely out of hands as Utility companies are taking 3 to 4 months for approvals.

Comments

• Where do you live / what utility?
  • Don't wait...agitate. You need to be your own Project Manager. Call both parties, relentlessly. The "squeaky wheel" syndrome seems to work.
  • Amitbhai, which city/state? For me in CA, ordering to getting final inspection took about 3 months and 1 week. Just today Tesla applied for PTO.
  • MA, Nstar/Eversource utility. Still waiting. Tesla is saying that it is a two part approval process after final inspection. First part approval came after 9 weeks. Second part waiting for 5 weeks now and counting. As per Tesla it should come within a week but I don't trust anything that they say.
  • > @"amit.aggarwal55_98659646" said:
    >Tesla says it is completely out of hands as Utility companies are taking 3 to 4 months for approvals.
    They are reviewing the paperwork BEFORE SUBMITTING for the permits. that reviewing takes weeks or possibly months. The actual reviewing would take 5 minutes, but the documents are waiting for the long time before the reviewer even touches it.
  • > @buenoshun said:
    > > @"amit.aggarwal55_98659646" said:
    > >Tesla says it is completely out of hands as Utility companies are taking 3 to 4 months for approvals.
    > They are reviewing the paperwork BEFORE SUBMITTING for the permits. that reviewing takes weeks or possibly months. The actual reviewing would take 5 minutes, but the documents are waiting for the long time before the reviewer even touches it.
    >
    >

permits?? OP is waiting for PTO from utility company. Local city should have already passed inspection and permits issued.
  • My sincere empathy for your plight. When Tesla did my install they kind of went off the air as soon as the panels were on my house. This was also in early April so we were impressed that they even did the work, since the whole state seemed to have shut right down. After complaining to my neighbor that I had panels I couldn't use, they suggested I contact the utility directly and see if I can find out / drive the process. I'm glad I did because it turned out there were several hurdles to hop over and it wasn't straight forward. The forms were confusing, but I kept on with the Tesla model of "at least try." So I filled them out as best I could, sent pictures of data I thought they wanted. At one point the utility claimed they didn't have proof of permits. I went to the county web site and pulled the permit on my own house and emailed them screen shots. In the end I made a habit. 1) Call the utility's net metering department. 2) When I got ahold of someone, I asked 3) "Is there more that needs to be done before service can be connected?" We went back and forth a few times, I got to know them on a first name basis, and then one day in May my panels got switched on. If I hadn't taken over and got to harassing the utility myself, I'd probably still be sitting here with panels that only theoretically produce power.