Model 3

USB music album art gone with 2020.44

I installed 2020.44 recently and now all of the album art for my USB music is gone. I've tried various things to bring it back (2 button + brake reset, unplugging/replugging in the music source) but I haven't been successful. Is this a bug, a feature and/or a way to subtly push people to depend more on streaming and pay for premium connectivity?

Comments

• Is your music in MP3 format? And are you using embedded album art?
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > Is your music in MP3 format? And are you using embedded album art?

My music is a mix of mp3, flac and m4a. Yes, I'm using embedded album art. All of it displayed perfectly up until right after the software update.
  • I am still on 2020.40.8 so I cannot be much help except to say I am using MP3 embedded and its fine. As soon as I get 2020.44 I check again.
  • @Frank99, I've had the opposite experience, new releases adding features I want. I do mostly use FLAC, with maybe 10% mp3s. I will be disappointed if the album art is removed. One poster did say .44 adds gapless playback option which would be nice. I've got a couple of albums that need gapless playback. I'm also on 40.8 right now, so can't comment as to 44 yet.
  • > @Frank99 said:
    > Tesla hates people who play mp3 files from usb sticks. I’ve come to that inescapable conclusion after owning my Model 3 for two and a half years, and suffering through a dozen “updates” to mp3 playback.
    > When I’m in a particularly dark mood, I assume that when they hire a new programmer fresh out of school, the newby gets the instruction “change something in mp3 playback”, with no further direction. Something gets changed, generally for the worse, and rolled out. Sigh.

LOL, this! Though I'm hopeful that this update might finally let me do a voice search for song/artist/album on USB. I haven't gotten the update yet but fingers crossed...
  • I installed 2020.44 last night and I can confirm that USB, MP3 Embedded art work no longer works.

Has anyone tried De-Embedded art work?
  • > LOL, this! Though I'm hopeful that this update might finally let me do a voice search for song/artist/album on USB. I haven't gotten the update yet but fingers crossed...

Don't be. It doesn't.
  • Yep, I can confirm 2020.44 does not display embedded album art with USB music (MP3). Worked fine until this update. Dang!
  • I checked a number of MP3 and FLAC files, with embedded album art and art also in the album directory as Folder.jpg. None show artwork with .44. I'm sure it will be fixed at some point.
  • I just installed 2020.44.10.1, which I suppose is the same feature set with bug fixes. Unfortunately, it did NOT fix the album art issue. In addition, it wiped out all of my USB entries in the Recent list, and it's not adding them back in as I play them either. Since voice commands still don't work on USB, the ONLY way for me to now play something on USB is to fumble through the menus. That's really distracting to do while driving. SIGH.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I freaking love this car, but I can't for the life of me understand why this technological clean energy marvel can't simply have a halfway decent USB media player.
  • Same update, same results. Someone with Twitter should tweet Elon about this.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > One poster did say .44 adds gapless playback option which would be nice.

It is nice, but it's only for Spotify.
  • > @steevsteevsteev said: a way to subtly push people to depend more on streaming and pay for premium connectivity?"

$50M a year for Tesla, mostly profit, just for 2019 production.

Does having CarPlay/Auto get around that?
  • Another confirmation of no album art with .44.10.1
  • Not sure how effective it is, but I sent bug reports from the car for both the art and the recents list. I'd advise anyone else who's similarly annoyed do the same. I'm sure they get a sea of various bug reports, but maybe there's strength in numbers.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > Does having CarPlay/Auto get around that?

Get around not having album art or get around paying for premium connectivity? I used to get around paying using my phone as a hotspot but the slight inconvenience of turning that on every time combined with how absolutely terrible the Tesla apps worked while connected this way (although maybe it's better with this update, I haven't tried) convinced me to pay the $10. $1200 over 10 years is worth 10 years of frustration saved to me, but I would really like my album art back.
  • > @steevsteevsteev said: > Get around not having album art or get around paying for premium connectivity?”

The art work. The phone is already on it’s cellular system and off Tesla’s.

Same for Google maps satellite view while driving.
  • The art work is embedded in the mp3 file on the USB drive. The cell or LTE network has no effect on USB music artwork. This issue has nothing to do with the Tesla data service, apple car play or android auto.
  • 44.10.1 installed over the weekend. no USB art. will try a bug report to "strengthen our numbers".

sometimes it IS the small things that make all the difference. Does the sound change? no. Does the functionality change? no. can the car now self drive with a beta FSD that is mindblowing? yes, kind of.

...but that little square of album art is a nice to have.
  • I spent months on my computer downloading album art and embedding it on my usb stick and was so happy to have it show on my screen over the last several months... now after 2020.44.10.1. It suddenly disappears. VERY UPSETTING I hope that there is a fix in the near future. How do you report bugs to Tesla ?
  • > @jjwienand1_98528800 said:
    > How do you report bugs to Tesla ?

Hold in your right scroll wheel to start a voice command and say "bug report" followed by a description of the issue. For example: "bug report, usb audio album art is not displaying". Super easy.

Just curious - I'm the only one that's mentioned USB items no longer showing in the Recents scroll list. Is that also an issue for others here, or is that one just me? The album art is annoying for sure, but not being able to use Recents is functionally much worse for me personally.
  • @vanfriscia - I'm guessing the Recents list disappears when USB playback doesn't resume as expected.
  • My car updated to 2020.44.10 yesterday and all my artwork still shows up on the car's screen.

I am playing my music off of my phone and not a USB so there's that.
  • Oops, just saw USB in OP's title. Never mind.