Energy Products

SGIP from Tesla - do they reserve it for you at the time of the order?

Does Tesla currently do SGIP in California?

I know there were above the cap for installers, but now there is new phase released - do they get more quota? What is web site to check on that?

Comments

• They do, but there is a long waiting list and it can take 1-2 years to get it if it happens at all. It seems the program from the utilities is constantly underfunded and the program is stopped for many months at a time until more funding occurs. I'd rate it as nice if it happens, but don't plan on it.
  • My Tesla PW installation was early 2019, when all the SGIP funds with SCE were dry. Tesla promised they would stay on top of it and retroactively submit my project if any SGIP $ broke free. (Yeah...right, I thought.) About six months later, I got an e-mail from Tesla with some documents attached that needed signing to get the SGIP ball rolling. Two months and several DocuSigns later, I got a check for nearly $6k from SCE.

Woohoo! Unexpected free money! It does have strings attached, though...
  • Just got a note from Tesla about a change to SGIP:

"For PG&E they prioritize customers who are in a fire zone or had at least 2 PSPS (Public Safety Power Shutoff) events. "

So if you are not in that category, I guess we get pushed to the back of the list :(
  • Who do you contact at Tesla to be put on this waiting list? I installed in Jan 2020 and I am in a Fire Zone with multiple shutoffs.
  • Tesla does not file or send reservation request when you order. I ordered July 28 and right now in 'getting PTO' phase with SCE. Tesla hasn't yet applied SGIP for me even though my ER quota has a lot of money in it. Very frustrating.
  • @stopnair - Yep, I'm in the same boat. Seems they are not filing any that don't have the current qualifications (fire zone, etc.).

@Fred_O - Call the Energy line 1-877-961-7652 and tell them you want to get on the SGIP program. Sounds like you may luck out and get into the program.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > @stopnair - Yep, I'm in the same boat. Seems they are not filing any that don't have the current qualifications (fire zone, etc.).
    >
    > @Fred_O - Call the Energy line 1-877-961-7652 and tell them you want to get on the SGIP program. Sounds like you may luck out and get into the program.

I am in fire zone and on medical baseline so I do qualify the ER quota and there is money in it. They should be filing it right away but not.. frustrated with the SA. When did you order panels and do you qualify for equity resilience?
  • Solar roof installed in January with 2 PWs. I got the impression there are a lot of SGIP requests in front of me and mine is not officially submitted yet. Still from what I understand, with fire zone, you would move ahead of me. Keep in mind the program often runs out of money and I've seen periods where it is more than a year before more funding comes in. I look at it as a plus if it ever happens, but I'm not counting on it.