General

Homelink worthless....another option?

Homelink can't tell if your garage door is open or closed; it just remembers what it did last time; so I never know what it will do when I get home or leave as the family uses the door. For $350 you'd think it could do that.
Is there some other option?

Comments

• I don’t think it remembers what it did last time. It just sends a signal. Maybe there are some fancy garage door openers which recognize and broadcast the state they’re in. Most don’t.
  • If I pull up to the driveway and for whatever reason (kids typically) the garage door is open and starts to close, I just tap the Homelink icon in the top right corner of the screen and it reverses course. Not too terrible, IMO.
  • The only way I can’t think to make it to work the OP wants without equipment on the house-side is for Tesla to program something where you can teach it what your garage door looks like when opened and when closed, and use that in conjunction with GPS to decide whether or not to send a signal.
  • Op, if the state of your garage doors is that unpredictable, then turn off the gps trigger, or select ‘skip’ when that option pops up.
    But to call it worthless?
  • It does exactly what the garage remote that you programmed it with does
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > It does exactly what the garage remote that you programmed it with does

Only if his remote was GPS activated (and if it was I agree, superfluous purchase).
  • Homelink is great. Another opinion?
  • Homelink is useful but could be better. Having support for the MyQ app would be useful. It would know the state of the garage door and maybe be more reliable due to no dependency on getting the signal from the Homelink module at the front of the car. The module wouldn't be needed in the car. It could even have a reminder if one left home with the door open and an option to close the door remotely.

MyQ support could be added to compatible garage door openers for a fraction of the vehicle module cost.
  • found your answer OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ufBAj2AAso
  • @cousin _eddie

That was cute, got a good chuckle.
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > The only way I can’t think to make it to work the OP wants without equipment on the house-side is for Tesla to program something where you can teach it what your garage door looks like when opened and when closed, and use that in conjunction with GPS to decide whether or not to send a signal.

This would make a ‘stupid’ opener a whole lot smarter.

The thing about MyQ and any other integration - everyone will want a cut ($). IIRC someone posted about ITTT scripts working with MyQ and your smart phone. So maybe look into that. Then you don’t need home link or even a car.
  • We have used Homelink for 8+ years for both our Tesla's (MS and M3) and have never had a problem. It is most definitely NOT worthless!
  • You guys realize that Homelink isn’t a Tesla product, right? It’s licensed. It’s available on just about every car make. It is nothing but a garage door remote emulator.
  • ^ yes, I expect that’s common knowledge.
  • Doesn’t sound like it. I understand if people want Tesla to do something different. I have MyQ and can control with Homekit. But what percentage of people have that?
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > Doesn’t sound like it. I understand if people want Tesla to do something different. I have MyQ and can control with Homekit. But what percentage of people have that?

Well yes, the OP wants it to do something different. And I contend that it can, if the car manufacturer (Tesla) in this case wraps something around it.

The Homelink in my wife’s Honda minivan isn’t location-activated, despite the van having GPS; they’re independent systems.

Since everything in Tesla works through its operating system, they can integrate them. And they could go a step farther and integrate image analysis. FSD recognizes closed and opened gates. I presume it also recognizes closed and opened garage doors. It isn’t a stretch to expect that they could trigger the homelink with a combination of two data points.
  • Ok, now I understand you. You want the car to recognize door state. Good idea.
  • Ya it doesnt recognize the door state but works out pretty well when leaving/arriving if no one messes with your doors. I can understand not wanting it to close the door when you arrive.
  • I may be being redundant here, but the only way to recognize state is for the cars and cameras to see the door or gate and recognize if it’s open or closed and decide to trigger homelink or not.

Homelink is merely a garage door opener emulator.
  • HomeLink does support 2-way communication in some of their newer devices, which allows detection of the garage door state, but I don't know how many automakers support that yet. Both the garage door opener and HomeLink unit in the car would need to have this capability.
  • The Homelink unit in the car would be unnecessary if the car's computer is like a phone with an internet connection that sends a signal to the garage door opener using something like MyQ. Basically, having support for third party apps would help.
  • > @TranzNDance said:
    > The Homelink unit in the car would be unnecessary if the car's computer is like a phone with an internet connection that sends a signal to the garage door opener using something like MyQ. Basically, having support for third party apps would help.

The car would also need the transmit radio.
  • If you have a WiFi capable garage door opener that supports HomeKit like I do, you just say “hey Siri, open my garage door” as you approach the house.
  • Ah, I didn’t know they made WiFi-enabled openers.