Solar Roof

The Domino Effect

Logistics matters, yours sucks. I realize the effects weather can have on a schedule. My personal experience in the building trades and as a PM informs me when a project starts to go off the rails, it doesn’t correct itself; unless there’s active intervention. What this job is lacking is the experience to identify and resolving issues and problem projects before they become problems. I do have some experience in such matters and what I’m seeing is a ship about to hit and iceberg.

There is effectively NO project management and in actuality zero site management.

Let’s start where I the butterfly had is initial effect. There were two things I inquired about before I e-signed the contract for a solar roof: One someone would visit the jobsite and walk me thought the entire project; and two, the conductors cables can run inside the wall—and I was told I can discuss them at the “mythical” project walkthrough.

What happened first that’s the oldest trick I the book, never kid a kidder. After a delay saying the project was going to start and just delivering the material, (one would thing a PM or qualified representative would, if not previously visiting the jobsite, would have visit the jobsite). What they would have witnessed, (other than a the a breakdown in 5 P’s), was a secondary ripple of the butterfly’s wings, when the lone deliver driver showed up with a pallet jack and was confronted by a driveway cover in ¾ aggregate. Not willing to back up to the side of the house, (we discuss this I lost) dropped off a heavy pallet on prime real estate (load planning). This is where he discover a plate jack meant to work on smooth flat surfaces will not rollover stone (mover over Musk). His education only began because once he dropped of the horizontal obelisk he had no room to maneuver around it now had to cautiously back up to the side of the house where he had proclaimed a mire and certain trouble. He did not sink, but neither did he swim. Experiencing the same issue of operating a pallet jack on course aggregate, and after a series of truck maneuvers he manage to diatribe a load, purposelessly, squandering as much reinstate as possible. Other than its ugly appearance there was now an immovable object semi-blocking access to my garage. I say semi because another 2nd order effect on project mismanagement was about to occur.

Initially didn’t think this was a problem because I thought when the work crew arrived they would either consume the material or move it. Neither happened. When the subcontractor arrived he said it was not problems but Tesla’s. Who’s Tesla? The only Tesla I’m aware of is dead. I told I was expecting a jobsite visit from someone to go over the entire job. He said he guessed that was him. I wanted to discuss the conductors cable run, Again not his problem—Tesla’s.

With the infamous pallet semi-blocking the garage entranceway the delivery of a roll off dumpster would almost finish the deal by creating a narrow passageway. One that would have later consequences. Next up the porta potty—let’s put that in front of the house. Now on with the shitshow.

At first the project progressed nicely—the material whet on smoothly—the sub-contractor was observing form the ground—making decisions—the foreman (or a reasonable facsimile) was on the roof. Day two, no sub-contractor but the foreman was there, things went ok, but later the ridge would blow off. Day three the monkeys were running the zoo. Still finding nails—this section was over my driveway. It is seriously delimiting and I witness some one driving 12d nails through the membrane into the roof. Although this may not have much effect once the roof is installed—you are not supposed to drive a 12d nail into a roof. Especially if you don’t know what’s under the sheeting. In this case TJI’s that are not designed to be fasten with 12d’s and very specific nailing requirements. Thank you Tesla, whoever you are.

Next up the Powerwall, trick number two. Instead of competing the project logically let’s go out of order to look like we got are stuff together and know what we’re doing. I tell you one think if someone doesn’t show up and discuss the conductor cable run there will be hell to pay, and the explicative your quality representative received will sound like an elegy to a saint.

Now that this project looks like Anzio after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor (yes that makes perfect sense given the level of project management of this job). What needs to happen is some minor, but not trivial, corrections.
First, the roof must go on ASAP.

Second, someone got to come clean up the mess—not because it unsightly, but housekeeping is not an important for many reasons, but a safe and efficient work place is paramount.

Third, a knowledge individual must visit the jobsite, and discuss with me, how the project will progress, and to discuss the conductor cable run.

Comments

• Do you feel better after this rant, to a CUSTOMER forum?

No one from Tesla will see this textual diarrhea.