Model Y

Homelink

Just got my new Model Y and loving it. Was worried about build quality based on the criticism in media, but whatever the issues of the past, it seems like the current model (66,xxx) is pure perfection.

One shocker was that it does not come with Homelink. Now I need to pay $300 and wait. Wish this had been a factory installed option.

What the hell was Tesla thinking?

Comments

• On my Mercedes Benz it was an option on a package.
  • Agreed, Homelink should be an option at minimum, and at best simply included as standard. Having to order Homelink and then wait to have it installed is a real bummer. The alternatives I found for Homelink were not very persuasive for my purposes (open garage and home driveway gate). Maybe Tesla is working on their own software initiative to bypass Homelink, which will really tick off those who made the effort to order and then get Homelink installed. If you're working on an alternative, give us a hint Tesla LOL.
  • Homelink in all the previous cars I had was pretty crappy when it comes to range. I much prefer to use a standard small remote and velcro it to a convenient area. I positioned it as far word on the glass roof centred with velcro, works great and range is great. a foolproof $35 solution.
  • I agree with Mortskiv. With all of the other things you have to buy, Homelink is stupid. I decided to go old school with a traditional garage door opener and spend money on cooler gadgets.
    It's a garage door. Open and shut.
  • > @Mortskiv said:
    > Homelink in all the previous cars I had was pretty crappy when it comes to range. I much prefer to use a standard small remote and velcro it to a convenient area. I positioned it as far word on the glass roof centred with velcro, works great and range is great. a foolproof $35 solution.

Agree I have homelink in my M3 and range is not good have to be min half way up driveway where my little transmitters work half way down the street.

So new Y does not have homelink don't care put a fresh battery in the little transmitter done.
  • Mine works on my '18 3. but I also have a fairly new lift master garage opener
  • and what I mean by works works from about 75' from my garage door. I do have it set to auto open from 100'
  • > @stacok_98279004 said:
    > Mine works on my '18 3. but I also have a fairly new lift master garage opener

If you ever leave car outside, make sure transmitter is well out of sight. If they see it they can break in and open garage.
  • > @avanti5010 said:
    > If you ever leave car outside, make sure transmitter is well out of sight. If they see it they can break in and open garage.

This is true but you can do the same thing with the car so what is the diff.

In my M3 that has Homelink if you leave the car outside and open the door the screen comes alive and you can use the touch screen to open the garage doors.
  • > @007bond said:
    > > @avanti5010 said:
    > > If you ever leave car outside, make sure transmitter is well out of sight. If they see it they can break in and open garage.
    >
    > This is true but you can do the same thing with the car so what is the diff.
    >
    > In my M3 that has Homelink if you leave the car outside and open the door the screen comes alive and you can use the touch screen to open the garage doors.
    >
    >
    Correct, but you have to have a user key to open the door and access the computer.
  • > @yelobird_98747025 said:

> Correct, but you have to have a user key to open the door and access the computer.
    >

But we have it set to not lock at home because most of the time we park in the garage.

But not sure if someone were to break the window would the screen still be up like it is when unlocked.
  • The screen would be locked. And if your parking outside and not locking the doors that’s more worrisome then getting in the garage to me.
  • Got my model Y yesterday! Wish I could understand why Homelink is $300.00 extra and most new cars come standard in with Homelink in 2020. It was included in my X and model 3 last year.
  • A lot of people don’t / can’t use it.
  • @tpicciolo - Tesla also dropped the price since it was last included. I guess they could charge everyone $300 more in the base price, but as others noted, many don't or can't use it - those people save $300.
  • I bought a keychain sized garage door opener for about 30 bucks and velcroed it behind the screen, right in the center. It's really easy to access, the signal works just fine and you can't see it unless you have your head up against the dash looking for it.
  • Just an addition to my previous post, the velcro I used was the 3M command strip style velcro. It's the kind with the little tab on it you can pull to remove it without leaving any residue. I wouldn't want to leave sticky gunk all over the back of the cars screen.
  • Homelink is an option in most cars. My truck has it and I still use the remote clipped to the visor. This way, I can take it with me if the car/truck is getting serviced and use it in the loan car.
  • > @aglow said:
    > I bought a keychain sized garage door opener for about 30 bucks and velcroed it behind the screen, right in the center. It's really easy to access, the signal works just fine and you can't see it unless you have your head up against the dash looking for it.

Just curious would the opener still be visible from outside the car by anyone look at your windshield? I assume you placed it behind the screen, which is on the top section?