General

Ventilated seats

When is Tesla offering ventilated/cooled seats in its fleet?
In 2019 some articles mentioned Tesla had patented a more efficient seat cooling system, but has anyone heard any updates?
People have settled on this one, but Tesla is taking too long to provide efficient ventilated/cooled seats in its fleet!!!
This is a “must have” optional for vehicles being marketed at these price levels.

Perhaps if we build up pressure through this forum Tesla may prioritize the production, so please comment.

Comments

• “.....This is a must have optional for vehicles being marketed at these price levels”. I “love” this argument. Did you know that when the Bugatti Veyron came out, with a price of over a million dollars didn’t even have the most basic navigation system.

BTW, there is no such thing a “cooled” seats as in their is actual AC running through the seats. All that “cooled” seats are is seats with fans underneath blowing air upward.

Additionally perforated seats don’t last as long as non perforated seats for the simple fact that there are literally hundreds of holes in the material.
  • I live in southeast FL, and have never owned nor missed having ventilated seats. Certainly not a “must have” option in any car.
  • > @lcec said:
    > When is Tesla offering ventilated/cooled seats in its fleet?
    > In 2019 some articles mentioned Tesla had patented a more efficient seat cooling system, but has anyone heard any updates?
    > People have settled on this one, but Tesla is taking too long to provide efficient ventilated/cooled seats in its fleet!!!
    > This is a “must have” optional for vehicles being marketed at these price levels.
    >
    > Perhaps if we build up pressure through this forum Tesla may prioritize the production, so please comment.

> @lcec said:
    > When is Tesla offering ventilated/cooled seats in its fleet?
    > In 2019 some articles mentioned Tesla had patented a more efficient seat cooling system, but has anyone heard any updates?
    > People have settled on this one, but Tesla is taking too long to provide efficient ventilated/cooled seats in its fleet!!!
    > This is a “must have” optional for vehicles being marketed at these price levels.
    >
    > Perhaps if we build up pressure through this forum Tesla may prioritize the production, so please comment.

icec op name says it all, more bs
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > BTW, there is no such thing a “cooled” seats as in their is actual AC running through the seats. All that “cooled” seats are is seats with fans underneath blowing air upward.
    >

That is incorrect.
  • I have a 2019 P100D with Vegan White Ventilated Seats...they work OK--seems to me they "pull" air down rather than "blow" air up. You can feel "cooling," but not blowing air when using them.

Also, like using a Tesla Heated Seats instead of turning up the car's heater, I think I remember seeing the Vented Seat Cooling uses less battery (aka driving range.)

I am not sure if Tesla will still do it with New Inventory Cars, but I was able to more easily justify buying the "P100D" upgraded MX as at that time,
    -- Tesla willing to turn off before delivery--for a full price refund--the Ludacris and Ludacris-Plus ($20,000 savings).
    -- Also, Tesla exchanged the beautiful but pricey 22" Black Onyx Wheels and Tires for a set of new Stock 20" MX wheels/tires (another $5,500 discount.)
    -- Plus, I got the $2,550 Illinois State Tax savings since my vehicle cost $25,500

When all was said and done, I got most of the nice "P" upgrades without the 2 most expensive options I did not want.

-- Performance Electric Motors
    -- Larger Brake Disk and Red Brake Calipers
    -- Ventilated & Heated Seats
    -- Ultra-Suede Headliner
    -- Heated Steering Wheel
    -- Smart Air Suspension
    -- White / Carbon-Fiber Premium Interior Package
    -- Premium Sound
    -- Subzero Weather Package
    -- Tow Package
    -- P100D Badging

And from the very first day (March 2019), I have really loved my Pearl White/White Model X.
  • Most seats that have ventilation (like the older Tesla seats) just blow air. Some cars do have a seat cooling option, such as the Lexus LS460. They use a thermoelectric cooler, which is a clever device that when powered with electricity, makes one side very hot and one side very cold. These are very compact devices too, without any moving parts, although the seat does have a fan to blow the cooled air. These are not cheap devices, so there is expensive to offer this feature.

One reason it's less important in a Tesla is you can cool the car minutes before you arrive. ICE cars like the Lexus do not have that feature, so the seats can be blistering hot when you get in.
  • 2011 Ford Taurus had cooling front seats.
  • More useless things to fix, imho
  • When the inside of my car is about 120, I just precool my car about 5 minutes before getting in so Its cooler than the 90 degree outside air but not as cold as I like. If it's 80 when I first get in and continues getting colder and drops to 72 as I drive then it feels colder than it actually is.