Model 3

Charge port door

The charge port door on my 18 M3 has recently quit functioning. It stays ajar and the phone ap and the screen inside say it is not working. I just talked to another owner and he is having the same issue. Anyone else?

Comments

• Try rebooting. If that doesn’t work, schedule for service via the app.
  • Same happened to me recently. Then it got warm and it started working again. Suspect that when the car goes in for (unrelated) service, somebody with some WD-40 or the like is going to give it a spritz.
  • Someone mentioned a missing magnet on the underside of the door once. Maybe yours?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnZcqVr7fuk&feature=emb_title
  • Missing magnet affects the press to open function, not opening and closing.
  • Mine stopped working recently too. It does not respond to the open or close from the car's screen or to the button on the charger's cable. I had to force it open by hand in order to charge last time - I was down to under 30 miles remaining. I created a service appointment and they already sent an email that they are ordering:
    Parts Ordered
    CHARGE PORT DOOR,TOP ASY,GEN3,M3,NA
    Part #: 1084854-99-J
    The little magnet is still there by the way.
  • Force it open? Didn’t the manual release allow it to open easily?
  • @HAL2001 Manual release is for releasing stuck charging cable, it doesn't do anything for for the charge port door.
  • Charge port door is easily lifted manually.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Charge port door is easily lifted manually.

Thanks, I was concerned about needing to force it open if it ever happened to me.
  • I had to do it several times after the magnet fell off. I just glued it back on to recover the “press to open” function, when I had the chance. Whether charge cable buttons pop it is hit or miss.
  • Yes forcing it open is a bit of an exaggeration. I also had a magnet fall off and had to pull open the chargeport door. You feel/hear a clicking which seems like you are doing something not intended, but there’s no real force involved. Mobile tech came out and reattached a new one and been fine every since. He said it was common with early vins.
  • > @agkulcz_98118968 said:
    > Mine stopped working recently too. It does not respond to the open or close from the car's screen or to the button on the charger's cable. I had to force it open by hand in order to charge last time - I was down to under 30 miles remaining. I created a service appointment and they already sent an email that they are ordering:
    > Parts Ordered
    > CHARGE PORT DOOR,TOP ASY,GEN3,M3,NA
    > Part #: 1084854-99-J
    > The little magnet is still there by the way.

I recently had a similar problem. The door wouldn't open from the cable button, pushing on the door, the car's screen, or the app. I could force it open but didn't really like the idea of doing that as normal practice so I put in a service request. They came out and replaced the charge port assy and it's fixed. Interestingly, the day before they came out on the service call, everything started working normally again. He replaced it anyway because of my experience. The only issue was that I had to wait a week for the service.
  • Is this covered under warranty?
  • This magnet is falling off everywhere! Mine luckily came off in my garage so, after I figured out what this odd parallelogram was for, a dab of superglue held it in. No problems with my door.
  • I just had to pay 300 to replace mine. New ones are heated. Early ones are not. I am not sure if it is software related or not, but older models without heated door in cold weather seem to be having this issue.
  • You are out of warranty I suppose?
  • Yes. 75k miles in 2 years
  • I’ve recently had this issue.
    Won’t open from screen or SC cable, or gentle touch on bottom of door.
    Manually opening is clearly forced and it resists when one does so.
    I have a Ranger coming in 2 days.
    ‘18 LR AWD 3. 29k +/- miles

Still Grinning ;-)
  • > @Shesmyne2 said:
    > I’ve recently had this issue.
    > Won’t open from screen or SC cable, or gentle touch on bottom of door.
    > Manually opening is clearly forced and it resists when one does so.
    > I have a Ranger coming in 2 days.
    > ‘18 LR AWD 3. 29k +/- miles
    >
    > Still Grinning ;-)

Still have your magnet?
  • Yep

Still Grinning ;-)
  • Same here as well as a repeating error stating something like "Charge Port Door may not open when pressed"

The magnet is still there and it does open when pressed. The issue is that it only opens a few degrees sometimes and often doesn't open when pressing the button on the end of the charge cable whether it be the mobile charger or a supercharger.

It sometimes opens on it's own while sitting parked.

A mobile tech checked it out and stated he thought it was the motor that operates the charge port door. They notified me that they had ordered a charge port door. It was supposed to be repaired yesterday, but I received a notification that it was rescheduled for the 8th of December. I also received an e-mail from Tesla stating additional parts had been ordered, but when I look at the part ordered it lists the charge port door which was the original part ordered weeks ago.
  • I should note that the mobile charging unit/cable and 14-50 adapter were just replaced because of ground fault errors and interrupted charging.

Even with the new MCU pressing the button on the end of the cable sometimes doesn't open the charge port door.
  • I want to make a correction on my statement above. I assumed that the only thing ordered was the charge port door itself. I took the time to look up the part number ordered and from looking at the image it appears that it's actually an assembly that includes the motor along with the charge port door and the harness.

Clearly assembly is noted in the description of the part ordered and I missed that.

CHARGE PORT DOOR,TOP ASY,GEN3,M3,NA
    Part #: 1084854-99-J
  • I am having this same issue and it just started a few days ago. Weather is not a factor as it was in the 60's. Until I read these posts, I was sure it had happened after a recent software update, does anyone feel the same? I am on version 2020.44.10.1. I get an error when I try to open via app "'Failed to open charge port" and on car screen, it is grayed out where I would normally open up before charging.
  • Just got my charge port door assembly replaced.